• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

18th century recipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
First off, yes I've watched Townsend's videos.

Wanted to know if anyone here takes in some saltpork and cornmeal/cornbread or what have you into the bush to cook up a bit of an 18th century meal.

Wouldn't mind trying it myself but don't really know what to cook.

I make my own salt pork with uncured belly and have used it to cook with on some treks. I don't generally make cornbread on the trail though. I do use it with beans and sometimes rice. My trail ration normally includes salt pork, jerky, rice, beans, and parched corn. When I take game on the trail I'll use it with a combination of what I have.

Much salt pork today is pork belly…. Uncured bacon.
Back in the day it was pork roast, hams,shoulder,butts,and loin.
I like to make mine with butterfly thick chops.
Layer of salt,meat,salt,meat, and so on.
I make it in small batches, about six pounds at a time.
You want to soak it out in before use. One serving of chop I soak in three or four changes of water starting about two hours before use.
Fry it,
You can use corn meal or crushed ships bread as a breading, then fry making a ‘snitzel’. Served with mustard it was a favorite.
Cut in to cubes it can be added to corn meal and boiled making hasty pudding.
You can just soak a couple of times for an hour then add to beans, no salt needed, dried onions and a bit of black pepper with it make a great bowl of beans.
Or well soaked and cubed mixed with any fresh or dried veggies and crushed ships bread it makes a good lobscose.
Mixed with green corn and beans it’s a great succotash
Soaked and sliced thin and fried crispy it won’t be ‘bacon’ but goes well with eggs and toast.
If you make a one and a half to two pound hunk you need soak it for several hours. Then boil, with veggies whole and eat it as a pot roast.
To carry as on trek I’ve pre cooked it, wrapped in greased cloth, then just added to dinner in the woods.
I’ve only done this one in cool weather, though salt pork was issued to troops in three day rations to carry when on the march

I might have a crack at making my own salt pork with some chops.

How do you carry all of your cooking equipment when out hunting?

Is rinsing the salt off but not soaking going to make it ridiculously salty?

I have a wood bowl, but don’t carry it raw in a trek a cook it first
Yes if you don’t soak it it is far to salty to eat.
Even after soaking in two or three changes of water over a couple of hours cooking it in a stew or beans you done need any salt added
If soaked and fried it’s at least as salty as bacon, or a bit more so
If on a trek I’m pretty minimalist. One copper or tin pot, and a tin cup.
At an event I’ve got far more cooking manure then I need

Even after soaking in two or three changes of water over a couple of hours cooking it in a stew or beans you done need any salt added
I feel like my solo days of camping are almost at an end. My wife is due to pop any moment and I've got a 4 and 2 year old already. If I can get them keen on the historical caper I think there will be some good times ahead.

Wanted to know if anyone here takes in some saltpork and cornmeal/cornbread or what have you into the bush to cook up a bit of an 18th century meal.

Have carried salt cured bacon and corn meal to cook in the woods on camping and hunting trips many times , some good eating to me !

Hey Walking eagle, Every time I ate breakfast in Canada it was the type I mentioned, think it was called P bacon. Never really thought about asking for regular bacon. I also liked the ideal that you always recieved baked beans wether you orderd them or not.

hmmm, better take a battery op vent-a-hood and a 5aoinh water and hence not produce a stron

it will make a stron in predators bier than you may wish to mess with. and the vent-a-hood and bucket of water cleans the air from your cook, it is a bit important. just thinkin

but what about the bis wantin, ,,, smiles it does happen, le cookinfoot and just see what comes up on that search. so i told you about the bucket vent hood filter , it will make your plans safer.

Bacon here is usually eye with "rind". You can buy rindless bacon which is just eye.

To get belly you need to find "streaky bacon".

Everywhere has its own idiosyncrasies.
can i not just shoot a ho
but what about the bis wantin, ,,, smiles it does happen, le cookinfoot and just see what comes up on that search. so i told you about the bucket vent hood filter , it will make your plans safer.
something was not putting everything i typed, the smell in the woods from cooking brings in predators dont it? so you are in canada and you have never heard of the hairy guys zoneing out over bacon smell and trying to hunt it down? hmmm, we know about it down here in texas even. we dont cook bacon in the woods down here. they will come from 5 miles away and destroy your camnp and eat all that if you cooked bacon in the woods . now taking it pre-cooked and throwing it in with the other food when its already hot , that might be alright , but i would still use the filtration hood and bucket of water. i mean , you know , to those things , we taste like bacon as well , and cooking it in the woods, sorry we just dont do that down here without a air filtration over the cooking. smiles and be blessed

can i not just shoot a ho

something was not putting everything i typed, the smell in the woods from cooking brings in predators dont it? so you are in canada and you have never heard of the hairy guys zoneing out over bacon smell and trying to hunt it down? hmmm, we know about it down here in texas even. we dont cook bacon in the woods down here. they will come from 5 miles away and destroy your camnp and eat all that if you cooked bacon in the woods . now taking it pre-cooked and throwing it in with the other food when its already hot , that might be alright , but i would still use the filtration hood and bucket of water. i mean , you know , to those things , we taste like bacon as well , and cooking it in the woods, sorry we just dont do that down here without a air filtration over the cooking. smiles and be blessed
actually was typing hog,,, it locked up on me and had to restart computer, my appologies for the terrible typo.

why can i not shoot a hog and cut thin strips , did not know bacon was a certain area, to me pork is pork and i love it. smiles and ive copied those recipes thank you for making me drool like i was a kid eating at grandmas again.

Latest posts

Back