• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1880s 12 gauge with Massive back-action

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I picked up a 'used hard, put up wet', 33" bbl, muzzle loading 12ga that has a massive hammer and back-action lock. Markings all over this piece lead me to surmise it's a military arm, but I'm only speculating.

The barrel has as serial of 221 and the left shoulder stock has 221 embossed. Every screw has "26" stamped in them as well as the left plate. The leading and trailing finials of the trigger guard have two "R"s stamped in them.

The under belly of the barrel has a curious cornucopia of markings: "dML" in an oval, "4", "12" which likely means the gauge; "F" with an "x" on top of it; "18 D", which I surmise is a date; The initials "J D". Most strange "to me" of all are the slashes.

The rear finial of the trigger guard is 5" long, I surmise to help resist stock splitting.

I would have taken an image of the inside of the lock only I don't have a way to loosen the safety screw.

If you don't mind, I'd like some guidance identifying this shotgun and reading the markings.

Attachments

• dML 12Ga - assem-Full Length_0.jpg
    dML 12Ga - assem-Full Length_0.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 295
  • dML 12Ga - assem-R Lock_0.jpg
    dML 12Ga - assem-R Lock_0.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 303
  • dML 12Ga - bbl-4_0.jpg
    dML 12Ga - bbl-4_0.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 299
  • dML 12Ga - bbl-18 D_0.png
    dML 12Ga - bbl-18 D_0.png
    577.2 KB · Views: 310
  • dML 12Ga - bbl-all proof marks_0.jpg
    dML 12Ga - bbl-all proof marks_0.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 303
  • dML 12Ga - bbl-dML_0.png
    dML 12Ga - bbl-dML_0.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 305
  • dML 12Ga - bbl-sn 221_0.jpg
    dML 12Ga - bbl-sn 221_0.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 293
  • dML 12Ga - butt plate screw 26_0.jpg
    dML 12Ga - butt plate screw 26_0.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 303
  • dML 12Ga - guard finial screw 26_0.jpg
    dML 12Ga - guard finial screw 26_0.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 304
  • dML 12Ga - stock-sn 221_0.jpg
    dML 12Ga - stock-sn 221_0.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Hi,
I picked up a 'used hard, put up wet', 33" bbl, muzzle loading 12ga that has a massive hammer and back-action lock. Markings all over this piece lead me to surmise it's a military arm, but I'm only speculating.

The barrel has as serial of 221 and the left shoulder stock has 221 embossed. Every screw has "26" stamped in them as well as the left plate. The leading and trailing finials of the trigger guard have two "R"s stamped in them.

The under belly of the barrel has a curious cornucopia of markings: "dML" in an oval, "4", "12" which likely means the gauge; "F" with an "x" on top of it; "18 D", which I surmise is a date; The initials "J D". Most strange "to me" of all are the slashes.

The rear finial of the trigger guard is 5" long, I surmise to help resist stock splitting.

I would have taken an image of the inside of the lock only I don't have a way to loosen the safety screw.

If you don't mind, I'd like some guidance identifying this shotgun and reading the markings.

Did some internet research this morning. This appears to be a Belgian African Zulu trade gun of the 1840s. Some of those were converted to breech loaders. This one is still a muzzle loader and not very valuable for collecting. I think then what I'm going to do is build it a new stock; clean the parts, and call it my Hillbilly Bear gun.

Last edited:
Well, the stock is pretty worn where all the metal parts fit. The pin that retains the barrel can by pushed out without using a punch. It rattles when you shake it. The front of the stock is pretty banged up, chipped. Being what it is, it's not really valuable to collect, so I'm going to have fun with it, make a new stock, maybe cut the barrel down, disassemble the lock and clean it, bead blast all the steel. Make it a large pistol, maybe. I dunno. But the main thing for me was to understand its origins and its proof marks. Thanks for your interest and replying.

Latest posts

Back