• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield Rifled Muskets and Sharpshooter units

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadShark

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I didn't know if this topic belongs in the Percussion Rifles part of the forums or in the Civil War part, but since it is mostly about a particular percussion rifle I thought it wise to ask the question here.

I have recently read the book "Sharpshooting rifles of the American Civil War." and was very intrigued by it. In it, the Springfield Rifled Muskets were named as rifles used by some Sharpshooter units (since it was the issue rifle). This should be logical, since most sharpshooting was essentially just skirmishing. However during my own research I have not found a sharpshooter unit that actually used Springfields. All I can find are units using Sharps, target rifles, unmentionables or enfields.

My question therefore is to people who know more about this than I do: Were there actually sharpshooting units that used the Springfield rifled musket (from M1855 to 1863) throughout the war?

I think so. My own knowledge on this topic is limited, though. One very reliable resource which I would recommend would be Bob Carlson's Sharpshooter Weapons in the American Civil War (ASAC Bulletin 107: 2-28).

The qualifier "throughout the war" in your question is the tricky part. That's not a criticism... It's a great question! Mr. Carlson lists a number of sharpshooter units which used the Springfield rifle muskets at some point, but many of them rotated through a variety of weaponry over the course of the war, and there were evidently many more designated sharpshooter units than we may realize. Only the famous ones have left their names deeply imprinted in history. However, he did say specifically that "The M1861 nd M1863 rifle muskets... and the P1853 Enfields were the most frequently used sharpshooter weapons."

Mr. Carlson said the Second Company Massachusetts Sharpshooters "...were armed with heavies [heavy barreled "benchrest" rifles], and Enfield and Springfield rifles." He also said "Birney's Brigade of Sharpshooters (203rd PA) were promised Spencer repeating rifles but issued Springfields." This implies, to me, that at least some members of those units used Springfields for the duration of the conflict. Mr. Carlson provided this interesting image of one of Birney's men with his Springfield:

2021-06-03 (1).png

Don Troiani is renowned for historical accuracy in his art, but I have some reservations about this image due to the presence of the bayonet. The socket of the bayonet would essentially obliterate the front sight, making accurate shooting impossible, I would think. The other thing about Springfields in general is that the front sight is necessarily short, so the bayonet socket can slide over it. This means shots at close to moderate ranges will go high. A taller front sight is one of the very few modifications allowed by the N-SSA for competition guns, and in fact a taller than "issue" front sight is pretty much essential for target shooting at shorter ranges. However, I have seen some wonderful shooting done with these rifles when in practiced hands.

2021-06-03.png

Anyway, Carlson's monograph should provide you with some information you can use.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I would believe that a sharpshooter unit would also be issued a standard weapon for guard duty and such, as it would take a bayonet. When the enemy is charging, you want a easier to load rifled musket than a target rifle.

Sharpshooters apparently were used in different ways throughout the war.

Berdan's Sharpshooters required 20 hits inside a 10" circle at 200 yards to be admitted into the Unit.

But also some Divisions or Companies simply used guys who were decent shots on the flanks to engage Artillery or NCOs.

Even Berdan's Sharpshooters were issued 1861 Springfields at first because it was believed they would waste ammo with the Sharps rifles.

I'm pretty sure this was earlier in the war when Springfields and Enfields weren't as common in circulation yet , and there were still Smoothbores or rifled conversions being used in the ranks. Although it seems 61 and 63 Springfields as well as P53 and P58 Enfields were used throughout the war

I imagine the average draftee could barely operate a musket under stress let alone hit anything , so if you could hit something at 200 yards you were useful. Most of us here probably have the skills to have been Sharpshooters because we shoot. The vast majority of soldiers weren't avid shooters. The idea that the South "had more hunters " is kind of a myth because enough Northerners brought their own very expensive Heavy Rifles with them to form Sniper companies and had been match shooters prior to the war.

Not much has changed, I was a Squad Designated Marksman in the Army simply because I had been shooting my whole life and consistently shot decent with my rifle, but don't want to get into Unmentionables

I wonder if Sharpshooters using 61 Springfields used issue paper cartridges or if some of them, being experienced riflemen, match shooters or hunters , took the Minies out of the cartridges and used a flask so they could tweak the load, use better powder or make sure the charge was consistent like they may have been used to when they used Heavy Rifles.

Apparently some Units were forced to give up the Heavy Rifles or stuff like half stock sporting rifles because the High Command didn't want dozens of different calibers being used and rifles that couldn't be used "in the line" for fighting and skirmishing.

It's what I'd do, if it were me. I'd still try to do things "my way" if I were a Sharpshooter who had to give up my match rifle and take a Springfield.

I wonder if Sharpshooters using 61 Springfields used issue paper cartridges or if some of them, being experienced riflemen, match shooters or hunters , took the Minies out of the cartridges and used a flask so they could tweak the load, use better powder or make sure the charge was consistent like they may have been used to when they used Heavy Rifles.

Apparently some Units were forced to give up the Heavy Rifles or stuff like half stock sporting rifles because the High Command didn't want dozens of different calibers being used and rifles that couldn't be used "in the line" for fighting and skirmishing.

It's what I'd do, if it were me. I'd still try to do things "my way" if I were a Sharpshooter who had to give up my match rifle and take a Springfield.

I think both most likely happened. Just depended on what kind of "sharpshooting" was done. If it was skirmishing, no doubt they just used their issued paper cartridges. For other kinds of sharpshooting (taking out Artillery officers etc.) they probably measured their own powder.

But that's just what I believe. I have no proof and I might be completely wrong.

I know that there was one unit of sharpshooters that lost their scoped heavy target rifles (they were stolen, taken by command, etc.) and were issued Sharps rifles. From what I read, they did not like this change at all.

Back