• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Researching 1816 Springfield conversions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have original barrels to actually measure, but the 1816 through the 1828 Springfields had barrels too thin to rifle, as I recall. I know the M 1840 barrels were thick enough and I think the M 1832 as well, though don't consider that carved in stone.

If the Pedersoli barrel is on the thick side, that works in your favor, if you wish to have the barrel rifled by someone like Bobby Hoyt.

Gus

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just wanted to add that I have an 1838 dated and Springfield stamped conversion with what appears to be a factory rifling job. At some point the gun was cut down to just two bands, but it appears to be the early style Belgian conversion with rifled barrel. I have never shot anything but blanks out of it.

The Dovetail on many of these period rear sights were not the "drift" to install but were the usual undercut on the rear edge and a perpendicular cut on the front edge. You hooked the rear wedge under the lip on the barrel and tipped the front square edge into place and secured the sight in place with the screw (with two holes, no slot) the rear barrel lip was then lightly peened to tighten up the 1/2 dovetail. I would suggest a machinist mill the 1/2 dovetail and drill and tap the shallow screw hole (often with non standard threads} .

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just wanted to add that I have an 1838 dated and Springfield stamped conversion with what appears to be a factory rifling job. At some point the gun was cut down to just two bands, but it appears to be the early style Belgian conversion with rifled barrel. I have never shot anything but blanks out of it.
Smart move shooting blanks only.

Back