• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifle tales from J. J. Audubon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In reading the old literature about what we call jacklighting, there are two activities by the name 'fire hunting', which can be confusing. One is what we have been discussing, shooting game by the light reflected by their eyes from burning wood or a candle. In the day, though, another method by the same name was totally different. A good description of that one is in _Dividing Line betwixt Virginia and North Carolina_, Wm. Byrd, 1729.

"In a Dearth of Provisions our Chaplin pronounc’d it lawful to make bold with the Sabbath, and send a Party out a-Hunting. They fired the dry eaves in a Ring of five Miles circumference, which, burning inwards, drove all the Game to the Centre, where they were easily killed”¦.This unmerciful Sport is called Fire Hunting, and is much practiced by the Indians and Frontier Inhabitants, who sometimes, in the Eagerness of their Diversion, are Punish’t for their cruelty, and are hurt by one another when they Shoot across at the deer which are in the middle”¦.Our Hunters massacred two Brace of Deer after this unfair way, of which they brought us one Brace whole, and only the Primings of the rest."

Another mention of that 'fire ring' type hunt is from the Journal of Mary Coburn Deweese, Nov. 8, 1788. She was waiting on her flatboat in the river near Fort Pitt for the water to rise enough to begin her trip down the Ohio to Kentucky.

"Had several gentlemen to dine on board the Ark expecting a fire hunt of some deer which keep about 200 yards from our boat, on a very high hill but a Shower of rain in the night disappointed them, rendering the Brush and leaves to wet for that purpose, they passed the day in Squirrel hunting, and fishing for Pike, this being the season for them, I saw one to day weighting 30 weight, the Beautifulist fish I ever saw."

Spence

George said:
I don't recall anything I have on rifle slings, ...
I lied a little, but that's OK in the modern world we live in. I do recall one item.

Running Mad for Kentucky
Frontier Travel Accounts, Ellen Eslinger ed.

Peter Muhlenberg’s journal, 1784, approaching Pittsburg: "I have at present the perfect resemblance of Robinson Crusoe: four belts around me, two braces of pistols, a sword and rifle slung, besides my pouch and tobacco pipe, which is not a small one."

Spence

Spence, just wanted you and all the other readers of this post that there is a great article on “Audubon the hunter” in the new July/August issue of Ducks Unlimited Magazine. Great reading with some nice photos of his work and his muzzleloading shotgun presented to him by the Society of London. If anyone gets a chance to read it I hope you enjoy. Art

Thank you. I had the link to volume two, am glad to have the link to volume one.

Spence

Latest posts

Back