• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 CVA Navy Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeb

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a CVA Navy pistol 36 cal, that I built from a kit years ago. I would like to fire it and I don't have any idea what size caps it would take. Would they be a #10 or #11? Thanks for your help.

Jeb:
If you buy the #11 caps and they are loose on the nipple you can pinch the open end of them a bit with your fingers to make them out of round.
This will make them stay on the nipple.

You can use any black powder or synthetic black powder in your gun and it will need .375 diameter lead balls.

so to be clear then, #11 caps pinched are correct not the #10 caps.

Well it is always possible it takes #10 caps, but #11 are more common. If it is meant for #10, #11 pinched will work. If you have a micrometer and can measure the outer diameter of the top of a nipple we can be sure.

Jeb.
The #10 caps may work fine and if they do then use them.

If they seem to hang up and not seat properly then the #11's would be the way to go.

With either of these caps a good indication that they are not fully seating is when the hammer falls and the cap doesn't fire. Then, when the same cap is again hit by the hammer and it fires.

What is happening when that happens is the hammer is pounding the cap down on the nipple where it should have been when you placed it on the nipple. Then, the second hammer blow fires it.

There are no hard and fast rules that define the size of the caps or the size of the nipples so each company seems to make their best guess as to the correct size and then produce it.

That is why folks will talk about CCI or Remington or Winchester or Dynamite Nobel caps working while others caps don't.

It's just something that each of us has to work out for our own guns.

okay thanks for the info and I now have a starting point. You guys are always a great help.

Back