• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Speed Shooting video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, try that on horseback at a gallop, as that's were handguns were most useful. As a Civil War relic hunter, and collector with years spent reading about found relics it seems carrying "spare cylinders" is a myth. Dropped handguns are frequent finds at CW cavalry battle sites, cylinders no. YMMV

OK, try that on horseback at a gallop, as that's were handguns were most useful. As a Civil War relic hunter, and collector with years spent reading about found relics it seems carrying "spare cylinders" is a myth. Dropped handguns are frequent finds at CW cavalry battle sites, cylinders no. YMMV

Those revolvers were used in far more places and for far more time than just the WBTS and I would not count the lack of cylinders found on battlefields as proof positive against the practice.

Afar more convincing argument would be the tolerances of mass production of that day and the fitment of parts from gun to gun. It probably was unlikely that a cylinder unless supplied as an extra to the gun, could be just dropped in and expected to work.

That said, in this day and age the practice is eminently acceptable for those that use these arms for more than entertainment as with those that may not be afforded the freedom we have due to their location in the world.

I say he did an excellent job and cant see it being done much faster. he was not even rushing. went about it calm and steady

Sure, he did a good job but, as I said, doing it correctly (in and out on the right side) would tend to "promote" what he's trying to achieve. Passing the hand on the wrong side doesn't help you, it hinders a smooth install of the cylinder. Also, not using half cock means holding the hammer "just right" while trying to install from the wrong side . . . a cylinder . . . quickly. Yep, he did good but could more than likely be a lot better. Just an observation . . .

Mike

It was neat to see from the viewpoint of a guy who likes to play cowboy, but it also made me happy I have unmentionables to defend myself with should it ever become necessary. If I did ever have to go into battle with a cap & ball revolver the Remington New Army would likely be it, but I'd want at least two, if not four. Even if Colt's open top pistols are more elegant.

A gun (after all is said and done) is ultimately a tool. A hammer or a screwdriver with the finish damaged or worn is a tool that has been used but still true to its purpose. A well worn firearm is no different and not indicative of form or function. Beware of the man who owns only one gun, as he probably knows how to use it.

I have used a smith 625 and watched others use the same model with full moon clips. Swapping the cylinders is not much slower . Speed comes with practice/use.

In his book "Quantrill and his Civil War Guerrillas", Carl W. Breihan stated that Quantrill's Guerrillas carried loaded spare cylinders tied to their saddle horns or in their pockets for faster re-loads. Pony Express riders were know to carry at least one spare cylinder. Also, this is an interesting read by Phil Spangenberger in True West Magazine titled "Got a Spare" True West Magazine "Got a Spare"

That was a lot of lead to push through a barrel in a short period. I'd love to see what his target looked like . I 'd also love to know whether he had, through trial and experimentation, came up with a specific ball diameter, powder selection and charge and lube for each cylinder to account for the heat and barrel expansion, and then used the pre-charged cylinders in a specific order? and if he figured out the safe/reliable limit for how many cylinders he could go through at that speed ?

Its a great demonstration of what is possible and one can imagine how effective that approach would be to dissuade an oncoming attack. One or two six-shot salvos would be increasingly worrisome, but after a defender started firing that third cylinder, attackers would have to be deadly serious to keep coming. As noted above, multiple pistols was probably a more likely scenario 150 years ago than one pistol and four matched extra cylinders, but for a person travelling alone, the lattter solution is certainly more portable.

Nice! Clint Eastwood made it look smoother, but that was a movie! This shows real-life. Thanks.
There is a video out there somewhere that has someone who mwkes the swap in about 12 seconds. Don’t know if his cylinders are modified for clearance or entrance leade for the pin

I can't help but be concerned carrying loaded capped cylinder not in the revolver frame. Drop one just right and shoot yourself in the face and yeah the dropping the empties is cringeworthy but if I were in a circumstance requiring burning that much powder it would the least of my worries.
Its the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live.

I can't help but be concerned carrying loaded capped cylinder not in the revolver frame. Drop one just right and shoot yourself in the face and yeah the dropping the empties is cringeworthy but if I were in a circumstance requiring burning that much powder it would the least of my worries.
I'll bet he had a jacket or blanket on the ground to catch the cylinder! Or else he knew it was soft grass only.

Train like you fight and you’ll fight like you trained.
I thought that Joe would eventually leave office, then retire. Since his son the 'artist' won't be running for office anywhere, that would leave the State 'Bidenless" for the first time in decades. Why a state electorate wants to sign over the whole state to one family is beyond me. (Think Mass. & Kennedys.) Then, I thought, uh oh, Jill Biden could run for Senate~! But she's kind of up there in age so that probably won't happen. Anyway, Joe is a One Term President either way.

I thought this short video was interesting. Dropping empty cylinders in the dirt did make me cringe. Has anyone in the forum tried this with their 1858 and several cylinders?

Interesting, very interesting!! Can't help but wonder, how would that go on horseback??

Latest posts

Back