• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Remington New Model Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to beat Cabela's $200+ Pietta version. I just bought one, excellent fit and finish, the trigger had a lot of creep. Nothing a little stoning didn't cure. I also have a Uberti Carbine model, again excellent fit and finish and a good trigger out of the box.

I have both Pietta & Uberti '58 NMA's & they both are wonderful revolvers, accurate & very strong pieces, Again I agree with going to Cabelas & get the Pietta one being that they have the best prices ATM.

Pietta has come up a lot in quality in the last few years. Uberti has always been a relatively high quality unit. Personally, I think I'd pay a little extra and buy the Uberti. If you want a real jewel, Feinwerkbau makes an 1858, but they're very spendy.

Comparing Pietta and Uberti may be like comparing Ford And Chevrolet.

I asked the same question here and the comments were almost equal on which was better. The comments leaned in favor of Uberti jsut a bit.

I finally asked by gunsmith and he said if he was spending his money, he would lean toward the Uberti, I followed his suggestion.

The Uberti is well made, most likely the Pietta is also.

I guess I am a bit different, I am willingly to spend a few dollars more and buy from an advertiser here or of a national organization over a Cabelas. I have nothing against Cableas and I am a frequest orderer.

I can call a small shop and get the technical information and assistance when it's needed.

RDE

I've got Pietta '58 Rem. only problem has been a broken hand spring, easily replaced (I bought a spare also just in case). I have had good luck w/it. matter of fact I've owned 2 brass framed and now the steel framed.
the brass framed shot well also. not wise to use max charges constantly so I've heard but mine never gave any trouble.

I have Two Piettas the first one I bought is stainless. I use this one for camping, fishing and general outdoor use. The second is a Deluxe Model which I use for competition. It is more expensive than the other Piettas or the Ubertis but worth it in my opinion. This revolver is a gem. It comes with progressive rifling and is close to competition level right out of the box as it still needs the forcing cone improved as does every other Italian BP revolver. Every part on this revolver except the screws, as they are metric, are suppose to fit in an original.
DGW sells the Deluxe as their Shooters Revolver. The last time I was up at North East Trade Company he had one in his case and was about 200 bucks cheaper than DGW. I almost bought it but could not justify having three Remingtons.
Bruce
http://www.northeasttradeco.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Pietta quality has really improved in the last couple of years; Uberti has kinda been a bit lax, so it is a toss up in my opinion. I have some of each mfgr and am happy with both. I just won an auction for a Lyman 38 cal. hollow base mold to use in my 36 cal Pietta C&B revolver conversion cylinder. Should be fun to work up loads; the hollow base is said to make for more accurate loads in the conversions.

mazo kid said:
Pietta quality has really improved in the last couple of years; Uberti has kinda been a bit lax,

A lot of the CAS shooters are using Pietta's and they shoot a lot of rounds. They're saying Uberti has really gone down hill on quality.

I have talked to several dealers and I ordered a Uberti on 11-05-08 and it should be in today. All stated that both guns were about equal in quality. DGW stated that they don't have anymore problems with one brand than the other. My choice (and I came within seconds of ordering the Pietta from Cabelas) was the Uberti because the front sight can be adjusted and my local dealer can only get the Ubertis.
I'll let you know about the quality.

Thanks for your help,

Gene Perryman :wink:

. nov 8 / 06:35

one sure measure of an item's actual quality is the length of time for which the mfg will warranty replacement for defects in materials.

i recently saw an original package insert for a navy arms/pietta lemat: 1 year, unconditional

cabela's now sells the (essentially) same item with an almost "lifetime" warranty for their pietta lemat.

just to sample the two mfg's i did a search on cabela's and found:

12 pietta revolvers
5 uberti revolvers

i'll leave the interpretation up to you.

~daniel~

Cabela's is a mass marketer. They can get the Piettas for less money than the Ubertis so that's what they sell. If Pietta doesn't make what they want then they are forced to go to a company that does. If Uberti made a LeMat and it was less costly than the Pietta version, that's what they'd be selling. Some companies, such as Dixie, offer both and let you decide whether you want to pay a bit more and get better workmanship and fit and finish.:v

It's here. Fit and finish is excellent. All I need now is some extra cylinders and parts. I'm going to take it to the range sometime this week and see how it shoots

Gene Perryman

forgot.jpg

My deluxe pietta's front sight is on a dovetail for adjustments sake, all this talk about remingtons is gonna make me take mine out and shoot her today.

Well, yesterday was the day. Because of a time constraint, I was only able to fire 24 rounds.
The first twelve and the last 6 had 3 misfires each. They did fire on the second strike!!! The third six rounds fired perfectly and at approx 15 yds fired a 6 in. group a little high and to the left.
I shot .454 RBs on the first twelve rounds and .457 on the last twelve. Still too early for me to decide on the right size for my gun.....No apparent barrel leading. I swabbed the barrel between each cylinder load. Did not swab the cylinder until finished for the day.

I called Cimarron and asked the thread size of my nipples......They didn't know?!?! DGW advised that they were 5.5 x .9mm. I hope they were right as I have 6 new ones coming.

Still waiting on my 45LC conversion cylinder. The company I ordered from are slower than molasses in January.

Gene Perryman

First, the cap FTF's: failing to fire on the first strike but then firing on the second strike is characteristic of a cap that's too small for the nipple cone; it does not seat properly and thus the pyrotechnic material does not feel the first hammer impact, which drives the cap into proper position and then the second strike is able to ignite the material. 3 solutions: 1) be sure to fully seat the caps (using a wood dowel), 2) use larger caps (not as easy as it sounds) or 3) sand/file the nipple cone down just a tiny bit to get a better cap fit.

By the way, nipples that have been peened by excessive dry firing also exhibit this characteristic, but I ruled that out as your gun is new. However, you might check the nipples to see if they have a tiny ridge at the top of the cone. If present it's easily removed with a file or sandpaper.

Nipple thread size: I believe you ended up with a Uberti; their midsize frame replicas use a 12x28 thread nipple, which is virtually identical with the quoted M5.5x0.9mm size (a thread which doesn't exist in the metric thread standards, by the way).

Back