• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navy vs 1861 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheyenne08

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am a new kid on the block here, I have in my possesion a 1847 Walker, made by Colt, not a clone. It is a limited run by Colt of the original, fun to shoot, but you almost need a tripod with it.

I just ordered a 1858 Remigton .44 cal from Cabelas, at 199.99 + 49.99 for extra cylinder + free shipping it was hard to turn down. :thumbsup:

Now, since I have the bug again, I want more; I really like both the 1851 & 1861 Colt Navies.

I don't want to start another civil war, is there much difference in the two as to shootabilty, or is it a case of cosmetics? :idunno:

I am realy leanng toward the 1851 London model.

Any opinions would be appreciated. :wink:

Dale

The Colt 1861 Navy was basically a Colt 1851 Navy with the more streamlined barrel design of the Colt 1860 Army.

This is more than cosmetic when speaking of the loading lever design.
The Colt 1851 loading lever was a simple lever design with the lever pivoting on a screw in the frame and a drive screw in the ram to create the loading pressure.

The Colt 1861 loading lever used the Colt 1860 Creeping style which used several conical 'teeth' which engage a series of holes drilled into the bottom of the barrel to drive the ram.

While both systems work I have read of people having problems with excessive wear on the barrels multiple holes with the reproductions of the creeping loading levers.

The shootability of both revolvers are about the same.

Zonie, thanks for the info, I like the octagon barrel on the 1851, as far as looks go.

If the lever system is simpler and maybe stronger, then I would definitely go with the 1851, I know there must be others who would disagree, but so far you have reinforced my thinking for the 1851.

Thanks,

Dale

I have a few Colt revolvers and Italian replicas. I really like the lines of both the 1851 and 1860/61, so I have a few of each. The ones I do shoot are of the 1851 design. They are just hard to beat. :thumbsup:

Just my opinion, of course, but...
I have a '51 Navy in .36 and a '60 Army in .44. The Army is just a larger version of the later Navy.
My personal preference runs toward the '51. I like the octagon barrel and am not too keen on the creeping loading lever. You knew I was gonna say this, but it comes down to personal preference.
I will say that none of my C&B pistols point like the '51 Navy, and other people have said the same thing.
If it was up to me, I'd tell you to get the '51. But it's up to you.

Thanks for your opinion, guess old Wild Bill knew what he was doing eh. :thumbsup:

I am thinking seriously about ordering from Dixie gun works, you can get everything you need from them, anybody had any problems with Dixie? :idunno:

Thanks again, I appreciate your input.

Dale

Thanks for your input, once I pay off a few bills, I think I will order the 1851 London model from Dixie, IF I don't get any bad reports on them. I am talking about the Uberti made version.

Dale

Dale, not sure about Dixie. Their prices seem a tad on the high side to me.
They used to be the "go-to" guys for BP, but the world has changed.
Uberti produces the best reproductions, in my book. I would find someone who is a Uberti dealer and go from there.
Two possible links:

S&S Firearms
Contact Phil Seiss 798-497-1100 http://www.ssfirearms.com/images/2010 Catalog/2010 Catalog main firearms.pdf

The Possible Shop
575-625-6762 http://www.possibleshop.com/pistol-uberti.html

Both are Uberti dealers and both have excellent pricing. The Possible Shop is a MLF sponsor.
Best of luck! Cap

Last edited by a moderator:
Generaly speaking Dixie is a good company to deal with but their prices are always the highest of any place that sells Cap & Ball pistols and other muzzleloading guns and equipment.

If you can find another source for a Uberti made pistol its quality will be as good as the Uberti's Dixie sells

I would second Capt Kirk's statement. I have purchased a couple of revolvers from the Possibles Shop. I found the owner to be a gentleman and pleasant to talk to, and his prices very competitive. My order was filled quickly. He called me on the phone to check on the delivery of my purchase. The conversation was more than 'I've got your money, now have a nice life.' He was genuinely interested in me and how I felt about the service he provided. And this was followed up by an email also.

I would not hesitate to place another order with him when the time comes. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just my experience.

Well folks, I ordered a 1851 Navy London model from Midway USA, about an hour ago.

I called the possibleshop, and he was a nice gentleman, but he was out of what I wanted. Midway was charging only $7.00 more than them and had them in stock, so I ordered from them.

Now I have two revolvers coming my way, the 1858 Remmie and this one. :grin:

When I get these two, my handheld arsenal of BP's will be:

Lyman .54 Plains pistol
Colt 1847 Walker
Colt 1851 Navy London edition .36 cal
Remington 1858 New Army .44 cal

I am one happy old camper. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who helped me with my decision. :wink:

Dale

It's like a disease. It starts small, almost unnoticed. As urges to buy another gun start creeping into the subconscious mind it grows until it becomes an obsession. "MORE! MORE! MORE!" the mind says until you end up with a wall covered with them.

Ain't it great. :grin:

Fortunately(??) for me, my obsession is tempered by shortage of disposable income.
Otherwise, I'd have a wall like yours! :grin:

Back