• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navy repro (Uberti) locks up when I lowerthe hammer onto a safety pin. How to fix?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@45D what if the pistol locks up as the OP stated, but with the bolt completely removed from the gun?

That happens when the angle of the top of the hand allows the "correct" length hand ( otherwise) to select the next ratchet tooth when the hammer comes to rest on a pin. Pulling the hammer back in this instance requires the hand to immediately rotate the cylinder which can't rotate because the pin is still in the safety notch in the hammer face. It's a "perfect storm" sort of thing and since you pointed this situation out, this is probably what the original answer should have been !!
My apologies!!

Mike

Ps The fix would be to stretch the hand and reduce the top angle or replace the hand (paying attention to the top angle).

@45D what is the advantage of the lightend hammer?

Faster lock time (regained lock time). Figured since it was so "cut up" I'd put it in the "cutaway". It's quite a bit lighter.

This is what ya can't see :
20211209_105041.jpg

Here's a couple more pics for study :

20211201_115141.jpg

20211201_115523.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Back