• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1850 Robbins & Lawrence Windsor VT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently purchased an 1850 Robbins and Lawrence Windsor VT in 58 Cal. Not sure if everything is "right" about this gun. It seems to be a smoothbore but my research says it should be rifled. As well it doesn't have a rear sight and there is no spot for one and there should be. Any info about this would be very appreciated.

mausernut said:
Recently purchased an 1850 Robbins and Lawrence Windsor VT in 58 Cal. Not sure if everything is "right" about this gun. It seems to be a smoothbore but my research says it should be rifled. As well it doesn't have a rear sight and there is no spot for one and there should be. Any info about this would be very appreciated.

It appears that you have a contract 1841 Mississippi rifle with a lock
plate dated 1850. Robbins and Lawrence produced them from 1848 to 1853. The 1841 was originally in .54 cal. Many of them were later
rebored to 3 groove .58 cal. Your example may have been left at .54
and a some time reamed to .58 smoothbore. If it was rebored to .58 and then reamed smooth the bore would measure around .62 at a minimum. As for the rear sight, originally it was a simple single leaf
in a dovetail. Perhaps it was filled in and age has made it difficult to
see. I'd be interested in seeing any photos you're able to post.

You might want to contact the American Precision Museum in Windsor VT (http://www.americanprecision.org/). It is housed in the old Robbins and Lawrence factory from that era. They have a collection of R&L firearms.

what you have is a 1841 rifle. that was reworked by bannerman or one of the other surplus dealers. they cut them down and reamed them smooth to make cheap shot guns.

it can be brought back to original.

mausernut said:
Now I need to know how a person does that.

The stock can be returned to the original length with a forearm piece
spliced to the original and hidden by the rear barrel band. Dunlap Woodcrafters makes them. Replacement parts for those missing can be had from S&S Firearms or Lodgewood Mfg. The biggest problem is the barrel. Bob Hoyt can stretch it to original length and reline it. So can Dan Whitacre. But, I don't know how or if they'd deal with that band that appears to have been brazed on. Judging by the pitting on it, it must have been shot that way for some time. It certainly would have to go. You could also get a replacement barrel from Whitacre.

bob hoyt made a lot of cut off barrels long again. first the barrel is cut off under the barrel band. then a liner is made to fit the back part and the same size as the front or missing part. then they pressed together and welded. the added part is profiled like the original. then it is final reamed then rifled. and there you have a full length barrel with new rifling. the barrel band hides any signs of the work.

when I worked for bob we did a lot of Springfield's enfields and 1841 rifles. the 41's are easier because the barrels are thicker.

there is or was a company that made the front part of the stock. again it joined under the barrel band.

Will have to check but as soon as you start dealing with stuff other than wood ATF becomes involved and things get interesting. I needed some screws for a 26 Crackshot. Called the guy who made them and he wouldn't ship any parts to anyone unless they had a US billing address for their credit card. He had had some trouble with ATF. Thought a friend of mine with a US post office box could get them for me but his US visa has a Canadian billing address. Won't tell you how I finally got them.

bob308 said:
bob hoyt made a lot of cut off barrels long again. first the barrel is cut off under the barrel band. then a liner is made to fit the back part and the same size as the front or missing part. then they pressed together and welded. the added part is profiled like the original. then it is final reamed then rifled. and there you have a full length barrel with new rifling. the barrel band hides any signs of the work.

when I worked for bob we did a lot of Springfield's enfields and 1841 rifles. the 41's are easier because the barrels are thicker.

there is or was a company that made the front part of the stock. again it joined under the barrel band.

Bob,

I'm curious as to what you think that "growth" on his barrel is.

after fighting with photo bucket I hate those popup adds. it looks like some one soldered a cover over the sight slot. which means it could have been a updated 1841 with the long range sight on it. the nose of the hammer has also been filed off the part that goes down around the cap.

From what it looks like in the photos- yes . But in reality I would check it over good before shooting it. :thumbsup: Happy Birthday :hatsoff:

Seems to be a big disparity in condition between the barrel and the rest of the gun. But yes, I would shoot it.

And Happy Birthday to ye! :hatsoff:

Richard/Grumpa

Latest posts

Back