• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

17th Century Horror movie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe not exactly the thing some here might be into, but it is set in the period we are concerned with. Late 1600s America I believe.

Fishtail matchlock in the trailer.

Borderline NSFW. No nudity, but it is a horror movie trailer.
[youtube]iQXmlf3Sefg[/youtube]

Ooo, creepy.

Wasn't there a colonial America horrorish/ghosty movie with Donald Sutherland or someone I thought? Real clear, I know... I don't recall ever seeing it but sorta remember a trailer for it and thought it would be interesting.

Then there's The Crucible with Daniel Day Lewis -- not a horror movie but a period drama really worth the investment.

There was another one about a guy going around executing witches set in the same period. Think possibly late 60's maybe. Just remember him tying them to ladders and dropping them face first into a big bond fire! One point some guy takes a wheel lock or match lock ball in the brisket and leaves a foot wide blood smear along the stair step wall. Hadn't thought of it in decades...now you've got me curios about the old days

Interested to know what that one was. I believe I was thinking of this mediocre film staring Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek from 2006...

An American Haunting

After a dispute of lands judged by the church [in favor of Mrs. Bell in 1817], her husband John Bell is cursed by his opponent Kathe Batts, who has a fame of being a witch. From this moment on, an entity threatens John and her daughter Betsy Bell, attacking the girl during the nights. With the support of Betsy's school teacher Richard Powell, who tries to find rational explanations for the manifestation; her brother John Bell Jr.; and their friend James Johnston, who unsuccessfully tries to exorcize the entity from the house, the family does their best to protect Betsy in the haunted house.

After some looking around, I think it may have been Matthew Hopkins: The Witchfinder General with Vincent Price, though not 100% sure.

Ah yes...

The Witchfinder General: "'tis a fitting end to fowl ungodliness in womankind."

Been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt...

No, I mean I LITERALLY bought the tee-shirt to wear to my Wiccan sister's funeral with the hope that the timing works out right.

Alden said:
Interested to know what that one was. I believe I was thinking of this mediocre film staring Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek from 2006...

An American Haunting

After a dispute of lands judged by the church [in favor of Mrs. Bell in 1817], her husband John Bell is cursed by his opponent Kathe Batts, who has a fame of being a witch. From this moment on, an entity threatens John and her daughter Betsy Bell, attacking the girl during the nights. With the support of Betsy's school teacher Richard Powell, who tries to find rational explanations for the manifestation; her brother John Bell Jr.; and their friend James Johnston, who unsuccessfully tries to exorcize the entity from the house, the family does their best to protect Betsy in the haunted house.

You probably know this but it case you do not, the Bell Witch movie was based on an incident in Tennessee not long after the War of 1812. It is now believed to have been a hoax but a small cave near the scene of the action has been closed off for years and treated as the home of the witch. I think it was a hoax myself. The movie depicts it as a case of incest.

Alden said:
No, I mean I LITERALLY bought the tee-shirt to wear to my Wiccan sister's funeral with the hope that the timing works out right.
YOu're a twitchy little rascal, aint'cha? :rotf:

I just bought a copy of this on DVD and it's very good. Pretty scary and not in the modern type of horror movie. It is mostly suspense that gets you scared. Not gross or gory and not the typical hand on the shoulder gotcha shots.

One thing about it, the clothing, gun and tools are all very authentic. The language is period correct too. It was filmed with natural lighting so it has that look to it.

One thing to note: the language, mixed with the thick British accents combined with their soft spoken voices might make you turn on the subtitles. They speak using the English of the period so it's not easy to hear on the first go round. But, like listening to Shakespear, you will start getting it after a little while.

I recommend it. A very good period piece. The gun used is a matchlock and it's done very well.

It's hard to say much about it because I could hardly see any of it. Good lighting must not have been in the budget. If they couldn't afford good lighting, they could have at least opened the aperture just a bit. :idunno:

Found the movie a bit disappointing. The 'Bell witch' is a neat story. Andrew by God Jackson stopped by the Bell house. It scared him so bad he left the house in the middle of the night. As a fraud it lasted for a long time.
However southerland is one of my favorite actors and the movie is worth a watch.
I think I will be watching this movie. Horror movies and matchlocks what's not to like?

The film I'm talking about is named The Witch. It's not the one with Donald Sutherland. I didn't like the one with Sutherland. It just didn't do it for me.

The one named The Witch is very HC and the lighting is natural (like the Revenant). It's very suspenseful and eerie scary. They use matchlocks in it and the clothing and language is very spot on. The language does make it a bit hard to understand from time to time since the actors have very deep english accents and they use the english of the 1600s. So you may want to use captions to get every word.

Back