• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black paint on late 16th century - mid 17th century muskets.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mayne1713! The more information, the merrier. I rewatched master and commander recently, so a sea service musket is increasingly more tempting (far) down the line.

I was researching linseed oil finish for a different project and I saw multiple references to it blackening over time, so that gives credence to the idea that the finish is degrading, at least for pieces that are dark and not jet black.

Do you mean Parkerizing/phosphate coating, which I believe cerakote is a more modern evolution? That was used on the metal bits, like on post war Mas 36s.
yes, that is what I mean. thank you.

1740's British Sea Service Musket (reproduction). I know you werre asking about earlier muskets but I thought this appropriate. They are painted with Asphaultum. Sorry it is mixed in with other muckets in the background.
what is Aspaultum? ASPHALT/ TAR? just courious.

what is Aspaultum? ASPHALT/ TAR? just courious.
Well, Asphaltum is crude oil that has seeped from fissures in the ocean floor, and then is washed ashore. So yes it's a type of asphalt, but it is less refined than what you may find labelled "asphalt" today. Pre-contact peoples found that the stuff, heated, would liquify, and could be used as a colorant and water proofing compound.

Later it was discovered that it could be dissolved in a solvent, and then that solvent would evaporate and shellac, leaving a rather rust resistant, hard coating. Later it was also found that for metal parts, if one heated the metal up to 400° F to speed up the process, and to better harden the application. The heat treatment is a 19th century thing. It was likely dissolved in something like turpentine, and then applied and allowed to dry, when it comes to muskets.

LD

Well, Asphaltum is crude oil that has seeped from fissures in the ocean floor, and then is washed ashore. So yes it's a type of asphalt, but it is less refined than what you may find labelled "asphalt" today. Pre-contact peoples found that the stuff, heated, would liquify, and could be used as a colorant and water proofing compound.

Later it was discovered that it could be dissolved in a solvent, and then that solvent would evaporate and shellac, leaving a rather rust resistant, hard coating. Later it was also found that for metal parts, if one heated the metal up to 400° F to speed up the process, and to better harden the application. The heat treatment is a 19th century thing. It was likely dissolved in something like turpentine, and then applied and allowed to dry, when it comes to muskets.

LD
Don't know if you remember when I posted the pictures of my Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle with the butchered first try carving I did on it. I've occasionally mulled over how to fix it on the cheap and finally remembered this thread. Currently thinking about filling the scroll work then painting over it and my question is if I use an asphatum paint would the filling show through?

Pennsylvania Carving.jpg

My other, more expensive option would be to get an Allentown-Bethlehem stock (not inletted) from TOTW and use it.

A lot of sailing ships were painted with Tar as a preservative against salt water and rot , I cant see why guns weren't as well . This practice is where the Black Ship and the Jack Tar for a sailor come from . the sailors even painted their pigtails with tar .
When I was doing early French (1720 to F&IW) portrayals, I had a Fusil de Boucanier and in reseaching them, I read that the French did sometimes paint the arms aboard ships black to stave off corrosion. Same article also mentioned that while Tulle made both iron and brass trim hardware arms (less the barrel) the brass-trimmed arms were exclusively to be sent to the warmer climate/southern Colonies.
Sometimes the black paint is the result of b.l.o. in someones attis for 150 yrs. As well
I agree with that!

Does anyone know the what and why for the black paint on muskets and other firearms in this period? I assume it is to protect the wood (duh), but it only seems to be in a relatively narrow time period and primarily on German made guns. I know very little about wood finishing, so I do not know if there is a specific issue its supposed to address, or just a 17th century version of "it looks cool". I am also wondering what the paint/finish would be made out of. Below are some examples of what I am referring to.

From Michael's(?) collection Ethnographic Arms & Armour - View Single Post - A Highly Interesting Regensburg Matchlock Wallgun of ca. 1640, the Barrel ca. 1490
Excuse my awful photoshop attempt to highlight the pieces I believe to have that finish.
View attachment 149840
Royal Armories Matchlock muzzle-loading musket Littlecote collection. - Royal Armouries collections
View attachment 149853
From searching google A military matchlock musket, Suhl, circa 1620
View attachment 149854

Painting wood and metal parts would have been much faster ( and cheaper ) than putting a decent finish on them by the manufacturer. Adds weather resistance as well.
Same reason modern manufacturers make guns with matte stainless steel and plastic or fiberglass.

Latest posts

Back