• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1777 French Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 70 yrs old and have a 1777 French Musket on the way. Happy as a little boy waiting on Santa.
Do we ever get over this disease?

Jack
No, we never can get cured. I had a friend the passed away in 94, every now and then he visits in a dream bragging about going hunting with Dan Boone and Joe Meek.
I think he is just name dropping😂

The NMLRA has a book on gun making in the 18th C. which includes a great section on specific mfg. practices in France's factories making the Charlevilles, etc. It's a translation some officer wrote in the early 1800's and gives an inside view on how each part was made and by what type of worker. Interesting if you're a French Musket geek! Check the NMLRA site for books, you'll see it. (Editor Eric Bye) I don't have the specifics at hand at the moment.

The NMLRA has a book on gun making in the 18th C. which includes a great section on specific mfg. practices in France's factories making the Charlevilles, etc. It's a translation some officer wrote in the early 1800's and gives an inside view on how each part was made and by what type of worker. Interesting if you're a French Musket geek! Check the NMLRA site for books, you'll see it. (Editor Eric Bye) I don't have the specifics at hand at the moment.
Thanks, I'll check it out

Jack

The "new gun on the way" feeling never gets old

Is it a Pedersoli?

I'm currently fitting a new old stock replacement stock to mine because the past owner had it above a fireplace and dried the wood out

It will probably look rough but I'll just think of it as a "field replacement stock "

The "new gun on the way" feeling never gets old

Is it a Pedersoli?

I'm currently fitting a new old stock replacement stock to mine because the past owner had it above a fireplace and dried the wood out

It will probably look rough but I'll just think of it as a "field replacement stock "
Yes it is. Corrige IX

I am 78+++, and am still buying guns. it is as we don't think that, that dirt sleep is comming?

I am 78+++, and am still buying guns. it is as we don't think that, that dirt sleep is comming?
I’m 65, but lost friends in their forties and fifties when they went. Every morning if you wake up and move fast you may see the Reeper sitting in the corner of your room contemplating if today is your day.
But…. If he lets me get out of bed I might as well ignore him and live like my tomorrows are endless
Soon I will have a forth long gun in my harem. Been a long time since I owned that many at once.
Pretty girls still make me smile, smooth wood and iron still feels good in my hands. Camp fires and chilly mornings still warm my soul, good beer and a good smoke are still looked forward to joys
L’chaim

Well, you guys certainly are encouraging.
I'm pushing 75. Cancer a couple of years back took away most of my strength and stamina. However, I beat it, and have gained back at least some of my former sturdiness. All my hunting partners have either passed on or simply put away their guns and no longer hunt. My boys never took to it anyway. So, I continue to hunt alone.
I have a decent collection of percussions and flintlocks, but last spring I bought a (new to me) late Lancaster style flintlock and have been using it to hunt this season.
The fever continues to burn. And, that is good! ():~)

I’m 65, but lost friends in their forties and fifties when they went. Every morning if you wake up and move fast you may see the Reeper sitting in the corner of your room contemplating if today is your day.
But…. If he lets me get out of bed I might as well ignore him and live like my tomorrows are endless
Soon I will have a forth long gun in my harem. Been a long time since I owned that many at once.
Pretty girls still make me smile, smooth wood and iron still feels good in my hands. Camp fires and chilly mornings still warm my soul, good beer and a good smoke are still looked forward to joys
L’chaim
now I rely like your analogy on life! it is so true! if you get up in the AM, you don't know if you are going to go to bed at the end of the PM? so as you say enjoy it! it is later than we think!

I'm 70 yrs old and have a 1777 French Musket on the way. Happy as a little boy waiting on Santa.
Do we ever get over this disease?

Jack
Now 73, I have quit shooting my (Pedersoli made) musket IX (l'an neuf) in competitions four years ago, as shooting it has relieved me of just too many teeth in the upper jaw.
This mother of a gun would only give me tite groups with loads of 90 grains plus of Swiss #4, whilst delivering a decent punch.
Besides, when an ex-member of the German national team borrowed my musket for a state championship match, he ruined the stock by trying to force oversized balls down the bore, using a heavy mallet and whacking away on the short starter like a madman.
I repaired the stock by fitting a piece of brass rod through the end of the crack, using epoxi glue. This (thoroughly untraditional) repair has stood up to the shooting (and loading) stress so far.

I am 75 had four back surgeries, two hip replacements, Two catarack surgeries, I get a shot in the left eyeball every four weeks, and I am scheduling at least six rendezvous for the upcoming year. I'll play this game as long as I can.For me just being able to play the game makes me a winner!

Latest posts

Back