• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1756 English Sea Service Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Goad

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Middlesex Village Trading has this pistol listed but does not mention the calaber. Does anyone know what the originals were?

Jac S. Muell

Here is a large cross section from the National Maritime Museum.
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/search/listResults.cfm?category=firearms&name=Sea%20service%20pistol&sortBy=title
MVT Sea Service and Dragoon models are both 62 cal.
I have the Dragoon from them and it sparks fine. Im still trying to get to the range with it.
When I find some time to test it out, I'll do a review.

Looks like the preference (at least among their samples) was .56. One is listed at .70, though. The MVTC version probably ranges from .62-.66. :thumbsup:

Nice looking gun, Rifleman. Is that an MVTC? If you look at the pics of the Loyalist version here the rammer looks like it's in a similar position to yours. Could be just normal variation in production. :hmm:

Speaking of ramrods, they seem to be a common shortcoming on these Indian guns. Mine snapped like a twig early on, so I bought a hickory replacement from these guys MBS. If you get a replacement from these guys, it'll need some minor fitting to your individual pistol and final finishing, but nothing major. WHat I actually ended up doing is buying a piece of 5/8" dowel for range use, saving the ramrod itself for field work. :thumbsup:

Low rammers/extra wood is common on these Indian guns. That why the pistols and long guns tend to run heavier than their custom built counterparts as well as the fact they us teak for stocks and it is also heavier than walnut or maple. :2

Musketeer Von Blunderbuss said:
Nice looking gun, Rifleman. Is that an MVTC? If you look at the pics of the Loyalist version here the rammer looks like it's in a similar position to yours. Could be just normal variation in production. :hmm:

Thanks, don't know where it came from aside from being made in India, I bought it at Dixon's last summer. No clue where they bought it, but the metal certainly has the bathroom-fixture high polish of Indian-made guns.
http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

Paid less than Loyalist charges, and this one came with a Lee ball mold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great deal. :thumbsup: Man, I wish we had a shop like that in my neck of the woods. :shocked2: :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: Thanks for all the input, guys. I definitly want a maritime reference in my persona since I am a retired Coast Guardsman. I think I will make the Sea Service pistol my first "scratch build". If I screw it up, I wont be out a whole lot of money, if I succeed, I'll have a nice piece and will have honored my service to my country. Either way, the experience will be will worth the effort. Thanks again. :hatsoff:

Jac S. Muell

p.s. I think I will succeed, after all, I have all of your knowledge and skills backing me up.

Jac

:v I think that's the ticket I am not an MVT fan at all. If you are going to shoot an MVT or any Indian or Pakistani repro---I would seriously consider doing a proper proofing the barrel. I do not trust their barrels and get an squirmy feeling about shooting one even after I have proofed it. You do not have any proofing at all with these imports. Verbum Sat Sapienta Est.---- :hmm:

Excellent advice sir. I plan on looking at all barrel options prior to purchase. Thanks.

Jac S.

:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back