• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

150 yr. old "Outlaw Mule"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's more unseen everyday things
This shows an actual "defined" hand "track" in the hand slot (chimney) -
20230215_110342.jpg

Here's first gen parts. Notice the bolt spring is narrower than the trigger spring and how thin the left bolt arm is.
20230215_111659.jpg

And here is the arbor wedge slot. The forward end has no angle like our Italian friends offer.
20230215_111750.jpg

Mike

Well honestly, I do an extensive tuning service so if both cyls are available, I can check the viability of making it a true "convertible".
Considering it will be a shooter, I would definitely go with the Outlaw Mule service. It's $225.00 . The Rented Mule is $200.00.

Mike
actually, the timing seems good with the conversion cylinder, but now no longer with the original percussion cylinder...

the biggest issue is there is no half cock on the original hammer... if I hold the hammer in the appropriate position, then everything else functions properly, and I can rotate the cylinder to load and unload properly...

Last edited:
actually, the timing seems good with the conversion cylinder, but now no longer with the original percussion cylinder...

the biggest issue is there is no half cock on the original hammer... if I hold the hammer in the appropriate position, then everything else functions properly, and I can rotate the cylinder to load and unload properly...

Ahhh!! Well in that case possibly a new notch cut or a new hammer. No matter what, the timing will more than likely change with the bolt block in place. It keeps the bolt from having excess lateral play which makes for a very mechanically accurate action. A hammer change is a "start over" as far as timing goes but not the end of the world either . . . just an added expense.

Mike

Ahhh!! Well in that case possibly a new notch cut or a new hammer. No matter what, the timing will more than likely change with the bolt block in place. It keeps the bolt from having excess lateral play which makes for a very mechanically accurate action. A hammer change is a "start over" as far as timing goes but not the end of the world either . . . just an added expense.

Mike

Would you weld the hammer and cut a new notch ?

Very cool gun, Mike, thanks for sharing. Look at the forcing cone in that barrel, nothing like my uberti!
Mine has shown promise with conicals, but if I can't bring it to heel, maybe a barrel relining is in order.

Beautiful work, Mike!

Mr. Turnbull does some marvelous things, but I'll have to say i like that revolver in your last post very much just as it is.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks Notchy Bob!! It's amazing how "purtyin' up" the "jewelry" really makes an ol gal look good!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back