• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

150 yr. old "Outlaw Mule"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45D

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Born in 1863, this '51 Navy is the oldest "Outlaw Mule" to date.
It's action has been fully optimized and polished and has had the action springs converted to coil- torsion springs with a coil and pushrod (frame mounted) for the hand. All parts are original 1st gen parts as well! The main is the original flat main tuned and set for a "just over" 4 lb hammer draw. Trigger pull is a little over 3 lbs.
The owner will be sending it to Trumbull for refinishing.
20230216_162019.jpg

20230216_162030.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Back in 2004, we set up a booth at the NRA Convention in Orlando, FL. I was very fortunate to have been set up right next to Turnbull's booth. They do outstanding work, but you have to have deep pockets. Doug Turnbull and staff are outstanding craftsmen. Even after the show it took a while for my eyes to return to normal, I kept seeing spots of fire blue and case color.

Back in 2004, we set up a booth at the NRA Convention in Orlando, FL. I was very fortunate to have been set up right next to Turnbull's booth. They do outstanding work, but you have to have deep pockets. Doug Turnbull and staff are outstanding craftsmen. Even after the show it took a while for my eyes to return to normal, I kept seeing spots of fire blue and case color.
Turnbull did an 1897 Winchester shotgun for me years ago. It came out so well that even the "experts" couldn't tell it had been refinished and it looked as new!

isn't it bad to refinish antiques and ruin the patina???

Normally yes, but this one has had the barrel lined and the owner intends to shoot it.

The title of your thread got me scratching my head. Could you explain what an "Outlaw Mule" is?

Yessir.
It's the name the service it got. The frame was drilled for a coil and pushrod hand spring, trigger and bolt springs are coil-torsion springs. A bolt block and action stop along with an action shield are installed. It's about as up to date as you can get inside. Thanks for asking!

Mike

Turnbulls' shop is about twenty minutes up the road from me, I stop in once in a while for inspiration, no flintlocks, just a ton of high quality craftsmanship.
Robby
He's a little over an hour west of me. I've toyed with having him do a restore on an unmentionable but the overall cost makes it double what the gun would be worth.

Personally I prefer the character. Willie's guitar Trigger is a perfect example of a tool that looks broken but sings perfectly. Willie's guitar techs and luthier have firm instructions to do nothing that changes the looks but fix the stuff on the inside that keeps her from falling apart...

Latest posts

Back