• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 gauge Pedersoli Magnum report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
I received and shot skeet with my new gun yesterday. I was astonished to hit 16 out of 20 shootings singles only. The improved and modified chokes done very well with 82 grains-2f-Goex, over powder card, lubed cushion wad, 1 1/4 blend of #7 & 8 shot, and a thin over-shot card. It also done very well skipping the cushion wad? Today, i will shoot paper and really examine my patterns with both methods. I am so hyped for Saturday mornings dove hunt!
I was also really pleased with the supplied ramrod. Also, it is a very easy gun to clean. Its threaded to accept my nylon bore brush, and the tulip (loading) tip holds a cleaning patch and done a great job cleaning the bores with the hot and drop of Dawn dish soap method.
I will develop a buckshot load for each barrel. I want to shoot a patched round ball from the improved barrel, and even try a buck-n-ball load with this barrel.
Any and all suggestions will be highly appreciated guys?
I measured the very end of the improved barrel with my calipers and it reads: .7275; and the modified measures .7075.
And according to Tack of The Wolf, the newer guns bore measure .729. So question, will a .715 ball and a .01 patch be better, or a .15 patch? I am thinking a .150 patch with be better? Keep in mind there isn't any rifling to be concerned with.
So in summary: very, very pleased with my gun and just wanting some suggestions on what ball & patch combo would yaw use for the improved barrel. And, do any of yaw have experience in a civil war paper patched cartridge buck-n-ball load? If so, what type of paper do I use and what size ball and buckshot would you recommend? I believe my 00 buckshot may be too big for all 3 of them to lay on top the ball if that matters.
Thanks in advance guys!
I could load a .715 ball and either a .10 or .015 patch then 3, 6, or 9 .330 or .319 balls or buckshot on top with a over-shot card in my Pedersoli .727 improved choke barrel with .729 barrel?? But would love to have them wrapped in a traditional paper cartridge.

Last edited:
Pedersoli magnum??? Not heard of that one??
Forget the patches. Bare ball on some thin cards or a wad of something.

Watch that rod with a brush on it and a Jag on the other. The ends of the rammer can come off. Make a proper rod!
Put the buckshot under the ball for supirior pattern's. It's called buck and (then) ball!

B.

Pedersoli magnum??? Not heard of that one??
Forget the patches. Bare ball on some thin cards or a wad of something.

Watch that rod with a brush on it and a Jag on the other. The ends of the rammer can come off. Make a proper rod!
Put the buckshot under the ball for supirior pattern's. It's called buck and (then) ball!

B.
Thank you sir. Its a Dixie Gun Works Magnum. And I will use my range rod for cleaning from here on out, thanks!

Thank you sir. Its a Dixie Gun Works Magnum. And I will use my range rod for cleaning from here on out, thanks!
I would love to know what makes it a magnum friend.
Most contemporary Pedersoli double 12's are loaded up to 1&1/4oz and 90grn of powder. Personally I've loaded more but never seen Pedersoli suggest so.

B.

Reading the Dixie catalog it's called "Pedersoli Magnum Double Barrel 12 gauge.

Load data calls for 72 grains and 1 1/8 Oz. of shot.

Guess poetic license, they wrote the catalog.

P.S., they called the 10 gauge the same thing.

I have their 10 gauge and shot the recommended load of 109 grains FF. I weighed their recommended charge and it's the same volume as the powder load. Since it's the first time I shot it, I shot from a bench and my shoulder was not too happy for a few days, but I did like the gun.

I got one this summer also. Mine was bought used but excellent cond and new enough to have the chrome lined barrels. Mine is a 10 gage. I’ll be using it for waterfowl and as such will be using steel shot. It’s taken a while to get all the components ordered up. Starting off using triple 7 powder and have a bag each of 00 and 2 shot for geese and ducks. It was suggested that I need shot cups so I finally located and got some with the slits up the sides. Problems as a newbi ..... should I be using the thick cushion wads or the thinner over powder wads or any at all under the shot cups. Initially loading with 100 grains of powder and same measure of steel shot. I was surprised at much harsher recoil then when I shoot my 54 tc with 100 and round ball. I have a lot to learn and appreciate any advice that may be offered.
ps...I’m in Oregon near the Columbia. If any of you bp shooters want to join in this fall let me know. I have all the gear plus a duck boat.

I have their 10 gauge and shot the recommended load of 109 grains FF. I weighed their recommended charge and it's the same volume as the powder load. Since it's the first time I shot it, I shot from a bench and my shoulder was not too happy for a few days, but I did like the gun.
It's not their recommended load but their maximum. You can use less..

I got one this summer also. Mine was bought used but excellent cond and new enough to have the chrome lined barrels. Mine is a 10 gage. I’ll be using it for waterfowl and as such will be using steel shot. It’s taken a while to get all the components ordered up. Starting off using triple 7 powder and have a bag each of 00 and 2 shot for geese and ducks. It was suggested that I need shot cups so I finally located and got some with the slits up the sides. Problems as a newbi ..... should I be using the thick cushion wads or the thinner over powder wads or any at all under the shot cups. Initially loading with 100 grains of powder and same measure of steel shot. I was surprised at much harsher recoil then when I shoot my 54 tc with 100 and round ball. I have a lot to learn and appreciate any advice that may be offered.
ps...I’m in Oregon near the Columbia. If any of you bp shooters want to join in this fall let me know. I have all the gear plus a duck boat.
Use something between the powder and plastic wad. And lubricate the wad as well.
Steel shot is lighter than lead. You can add more than the same volume of powder.

MLturkey5 This man knows more about muzzle loaders than anyone I know of! He also has a link for your gun and his load for geese ML-Goose-Hunting
1599242861162.png
1599242666814.png
1599242666814.png

Last edited:
Reading the Dixie catalog it's called "Pedersoli Magnum Double Barrel 12 gauge.

Load data calls for 72 grains and 1 1/8 Oz. of shot.

Guess poetic license, they wrote the catalog.

P.S., they called the 10 gauge the same thing.
It's a crome lined barrel

Back