• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#1 buckshot in 20 gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some #1 buckshot (.30 cal) that I would like to try in my 62 cal smoothbore trade musket. Has anyone tried this before? I know it's kind of large for the bore, but I'd like to use it if possible. Any hints as to powder charge, wad thickness, and number of pellets would be appreciated.
....this is just for target practice, BTW; I have no interest in using this as a hunting load.
Thanks in advance....

16gauge,
If it stacks two to a layer I should think you could safely put eight pieces in. If It stacks three to the layer nine would only be three layers. 70grs or maybe eighty of 2fg would give it a good shove.
volatpluvia

I shot one .60 ball and 4 buckshot this weekend at a target. The ball was about 1/2" low of the of 10 ring. The 4 buckshot were in a line from left to right centered on the round ball. All the buckshot were inside the 5 ring. This was a 25 yard shot. 75 grains of 3F, the round ball was patched and set on the powder. 4 .33 buckshot were dropped on the round ball and covered with an over shot wad.

I ran out of range time before I could try a round of buckshot alone.

You should be able to keep the buckshot on a paper plate at 25 yards.

Many Klatch

Latest posts

Back