• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1" balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleburne

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can I buy a supply of 1" lead balls, or a quality mould to cast my own? My best friend gave me a machined cannon tube for Christmas and I'm chompin' at the bit to try it out. It was turned and drilled from solid stock. Will also need to build a carriage. Any help appreciated.

Cleburne

i buy mine from a guy in Iowa
he casts ball 1" and up
bought 200 rounds from this guy over the past two years all mic .95 to .97
i think they weigh in at 3oz??
i send you his address via pm here and will try to dig up his email

You might try 3-ounce round fishing weights. Just clip off the line attachment loop(s) and use a patch of the appropriate thickness.

Thanks Buzz, an address and/or email address will be much appreciated.

Thanks Acorn Mush, my friend has a 3 oz fishing weight mould, but it doean't cast perfectly round balls. There's quite a bit of flashing along the seam. So if I can find a quality mould at a fair price, we could go that route.

Cleburne

Cleburne said:

Thanks Acorn Mush, my friend has a 3 oz fishing weight mould, but it doean't cast perfectly round balls. There's quite a bit of flashing along the seam. So if I can find a quality mould at a fair price, we could go that route.

Cleburne

Any size you want, excellent quality and you will have the mould in 10 days or so.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm

Dan

Contact Jeff Tanner in the UK--his moulds are tops and very reasonably priced--he can make any size round ball mould

Dan/Spencer,

Thanks. I'll contact Jeff now. I appreciate the lead. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Cleburne

Dan Phariss said:
Cleburne said:

Cleburne

Any size you want, excellent quality and you will have the mould in 10 days or so.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm

Dan

I highly recommend Mr. Tanner. I have purchased two of his molds in the past.

CP

You will find that most cannons dont care or notice a slightly off ball. My 2" gun shoots anything i put in it. I have not found any significant difference when shooting for accuracy.
I can consistantly hit a 55 gal drum at 500 yards.
I shoot a lead ball, no patch with 600gr of canon powder. It only takes 1 deg of elevation for this range. I aim 2feet low and 4 feet right of target.Those lead ball go right through it without even say hello.I buy mine at walmart (cannon ball sinkers) i also have a mould to cast my own if time allows.

Claypipe, thank you for your endorsement of Mr. Tanner's moulds. It seems my friend had already purchased a couple fishing sinker moulds and is in the process of modifying them to eliminate the sprue flashing on the cast balls.

Flintlock75, thank you for the information, especially the note of shooting sans patching. I didn't think patching was a good idea. Unnecessary at best, dangerous at worst. That's quite good shooting with a smoothbore at 500 yards. I'm mightly impressed.

Thanks again to all who've taken the time to respond.

Cleburne

Back