• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1-34 twist needs What Kind of BULLETS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this Percussion 50 cal pedersoli, Penn scout rifle 28 inch short barrel, and it has a 1-34 twist.
:hmm: I need to know the best type of bullits??? I know just a round ball with patch would not be a good shooter for such a type of gun twist. Rounds need 1-60's.
So I am asking you pro's :bow: what a good type I should use for such a type of gun. thanks and any help would be appreciated :hatsoff:

It should shoot any conical available very well.
Try the Lee REAL as suggested or the Maxi-ball, Maxi-hunter. There are so many available. You could also shoot sabots.

HD

I would try a heavy conical with it or may be even a saboted round. I would try to stick with conicals though just in case you dry ball or any other reason the bullet needs to get pulled.

I will add that I have been able to easily pull bullets like the XTP and other flat nosed bullets in sabots but why chance it? I do but don't recomend others with traditional styled guns to do so because you do end up in situations you don't want to be in :youcrazy:

So try the 370g maxiball and work up to something like the No-excuse heavy conical made for fast twist rifles.

I will also add and I hate to plug them because they are a rip off the Powerbelts will shoot well in that twist and can be pulled easy if there is a problem with your load.

With that rate of twist, you might want to try the Hornady Great Plains bullets. They're quite effective with a fast rate of twist.

flyboy said:
With that rate of twist, you might want to try the Hornady Great Plains bullets. They're quite effective with a fast rate of twist.

Yep, Hornady's...... the 385 HP for Deer, and the 410 solid for Elk sized critters. :grin: snd use a MMP sub-base under the bullet on heavy loads. It will keep the bullet base from Gas Cutting, and improve accuracy......some times :hmm:

or just use a heavy card stock WAD under the bullets. :grin:

Sabots are ok if you like melted plastic in your barrel.And if you use sabots make sure the bullet stays inside the sabot,when you seat it on the powder...Olson

Remember the longer the bullet the faster the twist to stabilize it. If the long bullets aren't producing good accuracy go go a ballette type conical(shorter length).

Don't discount the round ball until you've tried it. Your barrel is intended to work with conicals but for target shooting and plinking at 25 - 50 yards, the RB may work just fine. Probably anywhere from 35 to 50 grains of 3F. Start with a .490 and as thick of a patch as you can seat without too much effort. Too much effort is using a hammer. You may want to try .495 balls with a little thinner patch too.

My .50 pistol has a 1 in 22 twist. I use up to 50 grains of 3F in it. I don't see any reason to not try the round ball.

Latest posts

Back