• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1-28 twist rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I am curious, how many rifle manufacturers have barrels with a 1-28 twist?
That's a screaming fast twist.

You would need to surround your bullet with a hard petroleum based cup-like product to make it work.

I don't know of any traditional muzzleloader with such a fast twist rate.

Check out the sister muzzleloading forum.

Last edited:
Rifles with fast twist barrels were often used in picket and slug rifles when the roundball became obsolete for target work.

In modern times Pedersoli makes the Missouri River Hawken in .45 caliber with a 1/24" twist.

The TC White mountain carbine had a real fast twist. The Missouri River 50 is 1-24 I think. I have a couple Green Mountain LRH stainless steel 50 cal with 1-28. There are several 45 cal rifles like the Gibbs, and the Whitworth, and others that are way faster than 1-28.
Standard grease groove bullets shoot just fine. I like paper patched bullets.

Several non-traditional muzzleloading rifles are made with a 1:28 twist

FWIW, Both of my traditional Austin & Halleck flintlock rifles have the rifling twist rates stamped into a barrel flat.

One is 1:66, and the other is 1"28

(This pic is of a percussion A&H)
1680646913925.png

For reference: Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifle - Question.

Last edited:
Green Mountain long range hunter barrels are 1-28. Hard to find nowadays.
I have come to think that a 1-38 is outstanding in .50 caliber.

Hello,
I am curious, how many rifle manufacturers have barrels with a 1-28 twist
I have a Knight LK-93 I bought used that has that twist. Its 30 years old though, hardly new. I was at the range this morning and Minie balls keyhole at 50 yards if they even hit the paper. Haven't tried round ball in it yet.

Apparently it was made for shooting Sabots only which is probably why it was cheap. I just have to find something I can cast and shoot, I'm not spending a dollar a shot to plink.

Hello,
I am curious, how many rifle manufacturers have barrels with a 1-28 twist?
My pedersoli jaeger is a 1-28 it shoots great with a PRB at 50 yards. I haven't really tried it for accuracy out past that on paper but I can ring the 8 inch steel at 100 probably 80% of the time. I could probably improve those numbers if I used a bench.
Eta: maybe it's a 1-24 I dont remember

My .52 bores created by reboring TC Renegades (flintlock and percussion) are one turn in 28", made for use with paper patched bullets from off the shelf fifty caliber rifle molds and then sizing to .519 diameter.
That 28" twist can stabilize some really long bullets.

I have a Knight LK-93 I bought used that has that twist. Its 30 years old though, hardly new. I was at the range this morning and Minie balls keyhole at 50 yards if they even hit the paper. Haven't tried round ball in it yet.

Apparently it was made for shooting Sabots only which is probably why it was cheap. I just have to find something I can cast and shoot, I'm not spending a dollar a shot to plink.
I bet round balls will fix your keyholing problem.

I don't think a Minnie ball is long enough for such a tight twist rate?

The twists that are slow for a .36 or .40 are faster in a .58 or .62. Round ball is that extraordinarily light weight bullet with bad ballistics. Small bore with fast twists are a pain to maintain. Heavy bullets in large bores kick so much because of ejecting larger masses of powder and lead. The more you push the envelope in any given direction then the more its particular characteristics come to dominate what you're doing. As time goes by I experiment with different things that interest me and eventually find myself drifting back and forth in the area of what works, into that pleasant banality of medium bores with medium twists.

I’ve got a pile of .50 tapered round barrels with 1:28 twist. Not sure what they were intended for. Shallow rifling. Came in a big auction lot.

Latest posts

Back