• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.015 linen vs. .018 mattress ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may get me torched and called a heretic, but I had something happen today at the range that made me say "what's going on?"
I shot a 5-shot group with my sidelock .50-cal. Great Plains Rifle using .018 mattress ticking patches using TOW mink oil for lube, 55-grains OE ffg at 35 yards, and another group of 5 with the same exact parameters, but using an .015 linen patch. The .015 linen patched round balls were a much tighter group ”” all within nearly center cut and an inch or less apart. The .018 mattress ticking patches were up to two inches apart and only one cut center. I was expecting the exact opposite result. The linen group easily is the best grouping I've ever shot at the range with PRB, although I've only been shooting balls for less than a year after 40 years of conicals.
Now, this obviously is a very small sample, and I'm going to do this again a half-dozen more times. I didn't have to pound the ticking patched roundball onto the powder, although it was a much tighter fit using the range rod, while the .015 linen was moderately easy, but still quite a bit of resistance when ramming. Maybe it has more to do with the GPR than the patches, and my new rifle just likes .015 linen better than .018 mattress ticking. Thoughts? Hand grenades? Expelling me to the nether regions? I have always gotten tighter groups with ticking in my T/C Renegade than the linen, and was expecting the same in the GPR. I shot the ticking first, followed by the linen. Would a warmer barrel have anything to do with it? It was 35 degrees and cloudy at the time. I'm thinking this didn't have anything to do with it, since I almost always shoot my best groups on my first target of the day. But, not this time, and it wasn't even close. Maybe the deeper rifling on the GPR vs. the shallower Renegade.
I'm probably overthinking this, and I should just shut up and enjoy shooting BP, which, by the way, was most enjoyable today with that GPR!!

I'm sure you heard this before but each gun is it's own and what works best in one may not in others. That said linin is strong material and maybe the ticking isn't holding up quite as well. Did you look at the fired patches? I'm thinking the linen will be in better shape. There are other possibilities but if linen works best, that's what I would use. Is the GPR broken in yet? If not maybe it will shoot better with the ticking later on. The tightest patch combo isn't always the best.

Mooman76 said:
I'm sure you heard this before but each gun is it's own and what works best in one may not in others. That said linin is strong material and maybe the ticking isn't holding up quite as well. Did you look at the fired patches? I'm thinking the linen will be in better shape. There are other possibilities but if linen works best, that's what I would use. Is the GPR broken in yet? If not maybe it will shoot better with the ticking later on. The tightest patch combo isn't always the best.

Only had the rifle two weeks and this is my second time at range with it. I rounded up most of my spent patches and they all looked really good and the ticking is not pillow ticking, but tough mattress ticking ”” although this linen I'm using from TOW (Eastern Maine Precision Shooting patches) looks to be really nice, tight-weaved material and I like it. I'll hold off making too many assumptions until I've put several hundred PRBs though it. It just caught me off guard. My Renegade was well broken in (30 years) before it ever had a PRB through it. And, you're probably right, the new rifle just likes the linen better.

Mooman76 said:

Thats what I was gonna say :metoo: /\ this

PS 35yds is pretty close for the GPR. :idunno:

I would never start at 100 yds. or even 50 when working up loads. Only put 20 PRBs through the GPR so far, still getting used to longer barrel and sights. Having a bit of trouble since I've been using Williams peep on my Renegade. Having a little trouble focusing, but I'm getting there. 68-year-old eyes you know. :wink:
Plus, I'm using a new BP for first time. Really like the Olde Eynsford so far over regular Goex ffg.

Course ya dont start there but now yer on paper t 35 I would move out to 50 yer 60. Thats just me. I sight all rifles .45 or larger in a 90 yds. Like you I will start alot closer till on paper and I'm sure they will remain there at the further targets.

I will try of ol E soon, gonna have to order this year.

I'm with you on working up loads at 35 yards.
Yes it's close but at close range when you know that the rounds are hitting where you are aiming, especially with old eyes, and not throwing hail mary's at a distant target and hoping for the best. :idunno:
Then when you set the target out further and start scattering shots, you know it's you, or something you are doing wrong and not the rifle. :thumbsup:

While I wholeheartedly agree that working up a load should start up close, (I personally start at 25 yards) I disagree on the distance thing.

In my case, and in many it is often me and not the rifle or load. However, a load untested at range can and sometimes does fall apart for accuracy when stretched out. This is why I (used to) only start at close range. I move to 50 next. If it still prints acceptably I leave it alone; if not I tweak the load a bit.

If I could still see like I did 20 years ago Id move from there to 100. Sadly I wouldn't know if it was my load or the rifle at 100. I cant shoot very well that far out without one of those new fangled scope thingy's any more.

(Though I tend to not worry so much about accuracy any more. I shoot for the process and the zen it gives me. I Cant see well enough anyhow so 4" group at 50 is good enough for me)

Adui said:
While I wholeheartedly agree that working up a load should start up close, (I personally start at 25 yards) I disagree on the distance thing.

In my case, and in many it is often me and not the rifle or load. However, a load untested at range can and sometimes does fall apart for accuracy when stretched out. This is why I (used to) only start at close range. I move to 50 next. If it still prints acceptably I leave it alone; if not I tweak the load a bit.

If I could still see like I did 20 years ago Id move from there to 100. Sadly I wouldn't know if it was my load or the rifle at 100. I cant shoot very well that far out without one of those new fangled scope thingy's any more.

(Though I tend to not worry so much about accuracy any more. I shoot for the process and the zen it gives me. I Cant see well enough anyhow so 4" group at 50 is good enough for me)

You said it a lot better than I did! :applause:

I agree pretty much with what's already been said. I usually start off at the distance, more or less, that I want to be sighted in for or at the distance the majority of shots will be encountered. This means 25 to 35 yards for .32 and .36. For .45 and up it's about 75 or 80 yards, .40 depends on what I'll want to hunt with it. So for the little bores that means 1" or 1.5" high at 25 yards. With the .45 & up it's 2" to 3" high at 50 yards. It's a waste to shoot deer calibers at 25 yards with 35 yards a little better.

I've never tried linen but do do like mattress ticking and canvas duck. Smoothing the barrel crown with sandpaper and your thumb will make loading easier.

hanshi said:
I agree pretty much with what's already been said. I usually start off at the distance, more or less, that I want to be sighted in for or at the distance the majority of shots will be encountered. This means 25 to 35 yards for .32 and .36. For .45 and up it's about 75 or 80 yards, .40 depends on what I'll want to hunt with it. So for the little bores that means 1" or 1.5" high at 25 yards. With the .45 & up it's 2" to 3" high at 50 yards. It's a waste to shoot deer calibers at 25 yards with 35 yards a little better.

I've never tried linen but do do like mattress ticking and canvas duck. Smoothing the barrel crown with sandpaper and your thumb will make loading easier.

Smoothed the crown with 120 grit wet/dry and it helped a bunch, no problems loading at all. I'm pretty much past hunting anymore, so burning powder at the range is my relaxation and way to unwind from work. Way cheaper than therapy and a whole lot more fun. Besides, I still, after all these years, get a kick out of smoke and that black powder BOOM!!! :wink:

Back