• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snaphaunce era Weaponry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsn

45 Cal.
Reaction score
First thing, Wow it's been a long time since I've been on here.

So here are my questions and feel free to post pictures of your pre flintlock Items here.

Questions:

I am starting on a Baltic sledge lock for a sweedish style musket and needed to know proper dimentions on the mainspring/hammer spring.

If at all possible I would like to see the iterworkings of a piece so thhat I can better understand how it works.

Also If any one has backswords that they would like to share hilt designs that would be useful.

And lastly I would like to know about the matchlock mechanism.

Thank you all for reading.

Here's my Baltic lock on a .77 caliber musket...

SwedeSnaphaunceLock1.jpg

It's a copy of the great Gustavus Adolphus The Great's rapier (and main gauche) I have mated to it...
http://www.toledosword.com/pr/CASSH2206TS.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Alden: You have amazing interests. I would love to see a clip showing that lock in action.
Odd Fellow, glad to see you posting again. You are another of the young prodigies we get to keep track of here.
:hatsoff:

Could you post a picture of the inside of the lock?

Also dimentions on each part?

And is that a rifleshoppe kit?

Hi oddfellow! Welcome back. We all missed you!
While not a true backsword, here is a broadsword representative of the 1600-1640 period, if it helps. :idunno: Rick.
DSC00072Medium.jpg

DSC00070Medium.jpg

wow, ive never seen a lock like that before! more pics please.

-matt

ok the hilt on mine will be a bit simpler, thank you for posting the sword, nice musket in th back.

I found a way to lift the pictures from TRS website and scaled them, I have some dimentions but width and thickness of springs, also the width of the pan, the thickness of the hammer arm and the cock assembly and an inside picture.

I am going to build a few of these older style arms they draw my attention more than the american long rifles.

The baltic sledge has caught my attention.

I will post a picture of my gun and lock soon.

Thank you all for posting! :hatsoff:

Well, at the moment I am willing and able to post a pic of the whole arm. Eventually I'll take a better one posing it with Gustavus Adolphus' sword and custom-made copy of his hat. Yes, it is a "Rifle Shoppe." That's a quarter underneath it...
SwedeSnaphaunce77CalMusket.jpg

"It" was a kit whose wood was improperly inlet, was missing a major part, and whose assembled lock (as I've said, the ONLY way to assure you at least get all, and the right, lock parts from Rifle Shoppe) could not be cocked. And it took, as I recall, five months and I can't remember how many, many, calls from when I ordered it and they confirmed they had all the parts at the time!

its a real shame that a company that offers more rare kits then any other also has the worst customer service and business practices.

someone really needs to start a company that offers a wide range of products such as these but with proper business practices. (id settle for a good person to buy out the rifle shoppe)

-matt

Matt, this has come up before. If I ever hit the Powerball, I'll buy them out, let the owners just do the research, and hire a office manager and a production/QC manager to see that parts get made and orders get filled. Imagine a bigger and healthier Rifle Shoppe shipping all orders within a week or two!
:grin:

seriously guys Im young and am very interested in doing this. Im making some of thier locks from milled steel and forging the parts in the next couple of years I could be putting some of these out at shows.

Hi Alden. Thank you very much for posting the photo. That Snaplock looks really good!! I'll bet it is a blast to shoot.Congrats on owning her. :hatsoff: The finished product looks perfect. Thanks again for the photo. Rick.

Hi Matt. About mid last year there was a rumor - but from a reliable source - that the owners of Gunbroker were considering a Partnership with TRS. The idea was to install a new business model (sorely needed) with a new Web-Site, and customer service to equal the 21st Century.
I've never heard if this actually materialized. But I will call a collector friend of mine and see if there is an update. I don't think they even know how much business they are losing. I'll Post if I hear anything new. Rick.

If you put out a good snaphaunce lock at a reasonable price they'll sell themselves. I'd buy one. "Ricky" has put a bug in my bonnet that i don't see getting rid of anytime soon. Damn you Rick :haha: :haha: :haha:

Back