• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner Hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finished my woodsrunner yesterday and got it sighted in. I hit the woods this evening to put it to work.
I heard them before I saw them. Just soft grunting in the brush as they made a half circle around me checking the wind. They finally decided all was good and suddenly made a mad rush for the corn I had spread out in the swamp. I was on the biggest of the pair but he would just not get still. Twisting back and forth in the brush I just kept the sights trained on him hoping for a decent angle. I don’t know if they caught my wind or just had a premonition but as fast as they came in, they headed out. When he cleared the brush he was almost trotting staring away from me. He turned as he started up the hill and my sights settled on his short ribs. The .54 went off like it had a mind of its own. The hog never checked up but just kept trotting through the timber.
Just about the time I started to think I had missed he stopped and spun it place a couple of times before rolling over. The round ball had went in behind the ribs on one side and out under his chin on the other.
This was most likely the last hog I will bother until it cools off. I used to hunt them all summer but between trying to tend to the meat and just plain not wanting to fight the heat, I will wait until winter to get after them again.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 2
I love that you were able to take it out hunting so soon after completing it!! The you bagged a nice hog!! Awesome

Well done nice hog. I live in Virgina, and we don't have them in my neck of the woods. Son is in the Air Force and stationed in Georgia. We killed 22 last year with Muzzleloader there a blast to hunt and stalk. He hunts them all the time. I like you want a little cooler weather. When water is high dry ground has to many Cotton mouth snakes for me..

Well done nice hog. I live in Virgina, and we don't have them in my neck of the woods. Son is in the Air Force and stationed in Georgia. We killed 22 last year with Muzzleloader there a blast to hunt and stalk. He hunts them all the time. I like you want a little cooler weather. When water is high dry ground has to many Cotton mouth snakes for me..
I nearly stepped on a cotton mouth on my way out last night. When they are not wet they are almost the same color as the mud and dang hard to see

Br
I finished my woodsrunner yesterday and got it sighted in. I hit the woods this evening to put it to work.
I heard them before I saw them. Just soft grunting in the brush as they made a half circle around me checking the wind. They finally decided all was good and suddenly made a mad rush for the corn I had spread out in the swamp. I was on the biggest of the pair but he would just not get still. Twisting back and forth in the brush I just kept the sights trained on him hoping for a decent angle. I don’t know if they caught my wind or just had a premonition but as fast as they came in, they headed out. When he cleared the brush he was almost trotting staring away from me. He turned as he started up the hill and my sights settled on his short ribs. The .54 went off like it had a mind of its own. The hog never checked up but just kept trotting through the timber.
Just about the time I started to think I had missed he stopped and spun it place a couple of times before rolling over. The round ball had went in behind the ribs on one side and out under his chin on the other.
This was most likely the last hog I will bother until it cools off. I used to hunt them all summer but between trying to tend to the meat and just plain not wanting to fight the heat, I will wait until winter to get after them again.

Bravo sir. Well done

Only had a rifle go off as if it had a mind of its own once or twice. Incredible feeling to connect so perfectly when that happens. Glad for your success with the new rifle.

Back