• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SMR Pig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was slipping along a well used game trail that paralleled the creek bottom when I spotted a group of about 8 hogs. I was trying to stay on the trail because the dry leaves were like walking on post toasties. I had a good wind but I knew as soon as I stepped into the leaves they would hear me. I was just out of my comfort range as they were about 75 yards away. Good things happen to good people and I lucked out, It started to rain. The rain hitting those dry leaves sounded like a pop corn popper and I made a quick move to get 100 yards ahead of them and dropped down into the creek bottom. The rain was starting to get pretty steady when I finally saw the first one, it was about 50 yards out headed straight up the creek. I slipped the cows knee off the flintlock and quickly dumped the powder out of the pan. After slowly recharging I looked up and several of them had fed up into range, somewhere between 40 and 50 yards. A dark sow with a white sock caught my eye and I started tracking it through my sights. She was down the hill quartering away when my sub conscious put pressure on the trigger and I heard the familiar EEEEEK when the .45 caliber round ball smacked her. When the smoke cleared I could make her out laying right where she was hit. The ball had traveled through the ribs and the off side shoulder and we found it just under the skin almost as big as a quarter. I know a lot of folks hate hogs, I would to if I had a hay field they were taring up but for me, They give me something to hunt until it gets too hot to be in the woods.

Attachments

• 1aaa.jpg
    1aaa.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9909.jpg
    IMG_9909.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
I love hog hunting, and on the one hand, wish we had them here where I am. On the other hand, I’m glad we don’t. Probably will before too many years. They’re only a couple counties away, so when we do, I’ll be on them like a hair on a biscuit!

Good on ya for a very nice story, very nice photo, and a very nice outcome!

Great hunting story.
Everyone that doesn't have hogs should be glad they don't. We are overrun with them. They scare deer away from acorn dropping trees and destroy food plots. We shoot every hog we see and also trap dozens. Shooting them is pretty much a waste of time except for getting one to eat. They are tough to eradicate.
IMG_1290.jpeg

Your right @TarponStalker, thankfully I don’t have them, yet. I’m only 10-12 miles from the Pearl River basin that’s full of them, but so far all I get is one or two solitary young boars that have been kicked out of the group. I’ll get a few photos on the game camera and cringe each time but after a few days they disappear. Usually happens late spring to early summer.

Latest posts

Back