• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A blind man can assemble and finish a Kibler Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,
The Braintree Hill shop is really busy but today I spent some time helping my friend Josh. Some of you may remember our thread "Building Blind". Jim and Katherine Kibler offered Josh a good deal on a Woodsrunner kit so he could see if he could finish it mostly on his own. The answer is, he can but there are a few details for which he needs some help. Rich Pierce and I are providing the guidance and help. Josh came over today and I helped him through some tasks. I only did a few tasks for him, which I will describe, but helped him figure out ways to work independently without sight. He wanted me to help him cut and make make the barrel and pipe pins. The first issue was the slots on the barrel lugs did not permit the 1/16" pin stock to pass through. They were too tight and also had chips of metal from the milling blocking the slot. I had Josh file the slots a little wider and cleaned out the metal chips. He did the task and then we set to fitting the pins. All the pins are 1/16" and the pin holes in the stock are very hard for josh to detect. Josh prefers to remove the barrel for cleaning because of he has better success cleaning barrel by pumping water up and down than just using patches to swab the bore. So we had to figure out a way for this to work. We solved the problem with two fixes. First, we ground the pins a littl short so when tapped in flush with one side of the stock, they are recessed in a shallow hole on the other side. That hole guides Josh's pin punch when tapping out the pin. Secondly, Josh had trouble feeling the small 1/16" holes. So I suggested let's slightly counter sink the holes on both sides of the stock so he could feel the depression and not confuse it with the holes for the ramrod pipes. That worked very well and is barely noticeable.

For practice, I had Josh drill each barrel lug hole keeping the drill level, perpendicular with the stock and let the drill be guided by the existing hole. He did this very well. I had to reacquaint him with techniques we developed for his previous rifle. It as been a long while since he did that work.

We had to figure a way he could measure the length of the pins. I suggested using tape that he could feel. That worked.

He then used the tape to mark where to cut the pin. Next up for today was to clean up the trigger guard and ramrod pipes, which he did nicely. Without sight it is difficult to file every detail but with a little guidance and the right tools, he did very well. Next was peening over the screws holding on the muzzle cap. He needed to use a ball peen hammer but had trouble consistently hitting the end of the screws. We worked it out such that if he huddled close over the work, he could accurately peen the screws.

It worked very well. Next up, he wanted to install a back plate on the patch box lid. You see so many Colonial and Woodsrunner assemblers not doing that but Josh, a blind man, wanted to do it. So I set him up to file the end of the lid so the thickness of brass clears the spring catch. He did very well.

I had to file the dovetails in the brass end and mount the anchoring screws but Josh did all the rest of the fitting and shaping.

It came out very well.

dave
Dave, you are a true blessing to everyone, a good man!
I'm the guy who vacationed in Vermont the summer before last and the directions and information you gave me were so helpful, I had written to you before but I don't think it went through, so now it has! Thank you!

Hi Guys,
The Braintree Hill shop is really busy but today I spent some time helping my friend Josh. Some of you may remember our thread "Building Blind". Jim and Katherine Kibler offered Josh a good deal on a Woodsrunner kit so he could see if he could finish it mostly on his own. The answer is, he can but there are a few details for which he needs some help. Rich Pierce and I are providing the guidance and help. Josh came over today and I helped him through some tasks. I only did a few tasks for him, which I will describe, but helped him figure out ways to work independently without sight. He wanted me to help him cut and make make the barrel and pipe pins. The first issue was the slots on the barrel lugs did not permit the 1/16" pin stock to pass through. They were too tight and also had chips of metal from the milling blocking the slot. I had Josh file the slots a little wider and cleaned out the metal chips. He did the task and then we set to fitting the pins. All the pins are 1/16" and the pin holes in the stock are very hard for josh to detect. Josh prefers to remove the barrel for cleaning because of he has better success cleaning barrel by pumping water up and down than just using patches to swab the bore. So we had to figure out a way for this to work. We solved the problem with two fixes. First, we ground the pins a littl short so when tapped in flush with one side of the stock, they are recessed in a shallow hole on the other side. That hole guides Josh's pin punch when tapping out the pin. Secondly, Josh had trouble feeling the small 1/16" holes. So I suggested let's slightly counter sink the holes on both sides of the stock so he could feel the depression and not confuse it with the holes for the ramrod pipes. That worked very well and is barely noticeable.

For practice, I had Josh drill each barrel lug hole keeping the drill level, perpendicular with the stock and let the drill be guided by the existing hole. He did this very well. I had to reacquaint him with techniques we developed for his previous rifle. It as been a long while since he did that work.

We had to figure a way he could measure the length of the pins. I suggested using tape that he could feel. That worked.

He then used the tape to mark where to cut the pin. Next up for today was to clean up the trigger guard and ramrod pipes, which he did nicely. Without sight it is difficult to file every detail but with a little guidance and the right tools, he did very well. Next was peening over the screws holding on the muzzle cap. He needed to use a ball peen hammer but had trouble consistently hitting the end of the screws. We worked it out such that if he huddled close over the work, he could accurately peen the screws.

It worked very well. Next up, he wanted to install a back plate on the patch box lid. You see so many Colonial and Woodsrunner assemblers not doing that but Josh, a blind man, wanted to do it. So I set him up to file the end of the lid so the thickness of brass clears the spring catch. He did very well.

I had to file the dovetails in the brass end and mount the anchoring screws but Josh did all the rest of the fitting and shaping.

It came out very well.

dave
Great Job. Be sure to post pics of the finished gun

Hi,
Josh was over today and we worked on his Woodsrunner kit. Rich Pierce helped him carve the lock moldings, cheek piece, and designs around the cheek piece and barrel tang. He created simple designs that look authentic but embellish the original carving a little.

I am going to train Josh to clean up and level the backgrounds around the carving as well as finish it. I am also going to work with him to cut a simple decorative molding along the ramrod channel. He spent much of the day smoothing the cast texture on the lock and getting rid of casting seams. I really dislike it when assemblers leave those seams and texture. It screams lazy amatuer work.

Josh completed the fitting of the end cover for the patchbox lid. He filed off the heads of the screws leaving heads looking like nails covering the countersunk holes.

Then he cut the thumb hole in the rear of the lid. I outlined the hole with a "V" chisel and Josh used gouges to cut it out inside the borders.

Then he smoothed it with round scrapers.

We had an issue with the forward ramrod pipes. they were loose in the mortises and wobbled even when attached with the pins. That wobble might disappear when the wood swells from stain and finish. I decided not to rely on that, so I slightly bent the pins in the middle and mounted them so the top of the bend pushed the pipe tighter in the mortise. It worked very well and I am sure stain and finish will further lock the pipes in tight.
It came out great and when he comes back, we will get the rifle further toward completion.

dave

Hi Guys,
Thanks for looking and commenting. Just to be clear, Rich Pierce did the carving for Josh but he will be doing all the finish work around it. The goal is to have Josh do as much work as he possibly can. That was our mission on the Lancaster rifle he and I built a couple years ago. This time around we are going to push him doing some finer decorative and finish work. He will also stain the stock. It is hard when you cannot see to stain something but we are going to figure that out using ferric nitrate in water.

dave

Hi Guys,
Thanks for looking and commenting. Just to be clear, Rich Pierce did the carving for Josh but he will be doing all the finish work around it. The goal is to have Josh do as much work as he possibly can. That was our mission on the Lancaster rifle he and I built a couple years ago. This time around we are going to push him doing some finer decorative and finish work. He will also stain the stock. It is hard when you cannot see to stain something but we are going to figure that out using ferric nitrate in water.

dave
My hat is off to the both of you .

You, Rich and Josh inspire us all regardless our abilities and talents. I have a hard time cutting a 2x4 without making a mistake but I still enjoy trying.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. By a large margin,. Hats off to all involved.
I don' t quite see how a regimental water carrier compares but I do understand your point. Dave is up their with the gods his tidy bench amazes me. Mine is under a load of tools and oddly this seems normal in gun workshops .
Regards Rudyard

I don' t quite see how a regimental water carrier compares but I do understand your point. Dave is up their with the gods his tidy bench amazes me. Mine is under a load of tools and oddly this seems normal in gun workshops .
Regards Rudyard
yip, us mongolians must sit back and wartch in maze'mint.

Back