• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wiping between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like we go through this every other week. One thread no sooner dies out when another starts with the same people saying the same things over and over again. I will say I wipe between shots that is what I was taught to do when I started shooting and it has worked well for me over 40 plus years. So before you jump on me trying to show me the error of my ways don't bother, I have seen enough balls stuck half way down the barrel to convince me what I am doing works. To put it simply you do your thing and I will do what works for me

Seems like we go through this every other week. One thread no sooner dies out when another starts with the same people saying the same things over and over again. I will say I wipe between shots that is what I was taught to do when I started shooting and it has worked well for me over 40 plus years. So before you jump on me trying to show me the error of my ways don't bother, I have seen enough balls stuck half way down the barrel to convince me what I am doing works. To put it simply you do your thing and I will do what works for me
now that's what I say........ and do not blow down barrel.....

Seems like we go through this every other week. One thread no sooner dies out when another starts with the same people saying the same things over and over again. I will say I wipe between shots that is what I was taught to do when I started shooting and it has worked well for me over 40 plus years. So before you jump on me trying to show me the error of my ways don't bother, I have seen enough balls stuck half way down the barrel to convince me what I am doing works. To put it simply you do your thing and I will do what works for me.

I concur. Good post!

When I first started with BP shooting I used spit and any patch material from t-shirts to scrap and never had a problem with hard loading. I also didn't wipe regularly. If I ever found a bothersome crud ring I'd wipe it out if it interfered with loading. But after I found Hoppes BP Lube it changed everything, and when started using ticking patches it still worked out well.

For years I've loaded rather tight loads and still seldom had any problems. I use ball .005" to .010" smaller than bore dia. But with few exceptions I patch with .024" canvas. I like this because the lubed patch material compresses in the grooves and does clean the bore when seated. Barrel condition stays the same from shot to shot, mink oil is nearly as good and I preferred it when I hunted. Two things occurred when using tighter loads: velocity increased along with accuracy.

There was a period where I had to wipe every shot or two; that was when I started trying out "Bore Butter". That stuff was like putting mud down the bore and demanded cleaning between at least every two shots. So Hoppes it was for my shooting. At any time I had an unusually hard-to-load experience I cleaned the bore then and there. So my decision was based on simply no wiping was needed. I honestly can't remember I had to swab out a bore; but I'll do it in a flash if it's necessary. I have zero negative comments for those who do clean between shots because, yes, it does work and that's all that matters.

My son and I were wiping between shots and having lots of misfires. Stopped wiping and that went away. We figured we were clogging things up down at the flash hole. But it seems we must have been doing something wrong. We were using a spit moistened patch followed by dry. Read about it online, nothing but problems. What is the accepted method?

What is this "wiping" thing about?

20170904_082823.jpg

My son and I were wiping between shots and having lots of misfires. Stopped wiping and that went away. We figured we were clogging things up down at the flash hole. But it seems we must have been doing something wrong. We were using a spit moistened patch followed by dry. Read about it online, nothing but problems. What is the accepted method?
There is none...whatever works. But I'm with you. I don't like pushing crud into the flash chamber by wiping between shots. I load with a damp patch (Olde Turkey Track from Taylors) using a patched jag (ballistol/water) to push down the ball. That pushes the crud on top of the powder to be shot out and the barrel is cleaned by the patched loading jag. Every shot loads the same and very good groups.

Size the jag so that the patch goes down easy but bunches when pulled out, thus creating a tighter fit on the way up. Do no use slobbery wet patches. Wring them out before using.

I must have crappy powder, Swiss and Goex. If I do not wipe fouling accumulates in chamber area enough to cause the ball to seat higher.

There is none...whatever works. But I'm with you. I don't like pushing crud into the flash chamber by wiping between shots. I load with a damp patch (Olde Turkey Track from Taylors) using a patched jag (ballistol/water) to push down the ball. That pushes the crud on top of the powder to be shot out and the barrel is cleaned by the patched loading jag. Every shot loads the same and very good groups.
I normally wipe between shots, but Monday at the range I tried this no-wipe damp patch drill out of curiosity using Muzzle Magic. It loaded great, but after about 10 shots I got a klatch even after a vent pick. Couple of primes and picks and it finally went off thank goodness no ball pulling. I put the breech scraper on and took out a bunch of crud that had built up and hindered ignition. Never got that before. I'll stick to wiping. I think it keeps the breech area cleaner.

Take about 0.030 to 0.040" off the diameter of a cleaning jag. This will do what @Scota@4570 suggests. Running the damp patch down will soften the fouling. When the patch is withdrawn, it will bunch up and pull out the powder and minimalize the crust ring.

The patches should be damp not wet, I used the same method as when I shot BPCRS rifles.

Shove a stack of patches in a container of 10% Ballistol 90% water and make sure they are soaked through to the middle of the stack, take the stack out and squeeze it in a potato ricer until nothing comes out.

This will insure the patches are wet enough to dampen and pull the crud out but not so wet that excess moisture gathers around the breech face.

Latest posts

Back