• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wiping between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So......
As many here know from my ramblings I have been a spit patch, blow down the barrel guy since the 70's.
It has worked very well for me, won more than my share of matches and woods walks back when my vision was 20-10, 20-15 and I did not understand why any one wanted to wipe between shots.

Grenadier and I have went back and forth on this so one of my recent replies to him was I was going to give it a try to see what all the fuss was about.

I turned down a 54 caliber jag a little bit at a time until it felt like it was sliding down smoothly but bunching the cleaning material up when pulling up on the rod and ended up with a jag that measured .491, in retrospect I should have started with a 50 caliber jag.

Here are the cleaning patches using a damp patch with a 10% Ballistol 90% water mix with the excess squeezed out using a potato ricer.

Wiping patches.jpg

I was surprised by how much crud the patches pulled up and my group at 50 yards was pretty good considering I can not see for schlitz anymore (Can not wait for cataract surgery!). For those of you still blowing down the barrel I encourage you to give it a try as I was pleasantly surprised.

I think I will start wiping between shots when I am at the club and we are loading at the bench but will not when doing woods walks etc. still do not want to mess with it while walking and loading.

Thanks Grenadier! I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks!

I blow down the barrel more often than not. I also do not wipe between shots mainly because I don't have to. Been working for me for the past 67 years and I see no reason to change. I didn't do it when I was in the hunting bush but everywhere else, absolutely. I don't go to matches and have only been to 2 rendezvous/woods walks.

Since I'm stuck at a public range, I only get 15 minutes of shooting before range goes cold. As long as I'm using a wet lube I can typically fire the entire stint, usually 5-8 shots. Although I always start cleaning when we receive a 2 minute warning. So i can start the next session with a clean bore and pan. You never know how long some of these folks are going to hold up the range changing targets.

In the field I've not been lucky enough to come across a horde of squirrels to see how many shots I can get off with mink oil loads. Maybe tomorrow I'll find a few.

I'm a wiper. I've shot wet lubes without wiping through 25 shots in a five target match. I always fired two fouling shots before any record shots.

But in the end, I'm a hunter and darned if those deer and elk refuse to stand still for two fouling shots. Heck, not even one!

So, when hunting or shooting out of the bag I pop a wiping patch in my mouth and wipe with spit.

Its not absolutely necessary to do so but I wipe between each shot, or at the most, every other shot, while target shooting. Reason why? Because I am a big game hunter first and foremost. Its always that first or second shot that matters most. I want to know for sure that my critter tool is ready and accurate. With conical(s) I find that after two shots I can feel a crud ring forming.

However, while squirrel hunting with my Crockett Squirrel Rifle RB shooter I have shot up to 11 times while squirrel hunting without running a cleaning patch down the bore. I doubt I will be doing that again. Most likely after 6-7 shots I will be wiping the bore out from now on.

I haven't blown down the muzzle for a long time except to see if it was getting plugged up. Even then it is rare I do so.

I think the point of the thread was not as much "Tell us what you do and why", but more "Don't get stuck in a rut because you worked something out long ago and keep doing it out of habit". Try something new once in a while, especially with a new to you gun. It may confirm your habitual methods are still the best for you, or you may learn something.

Since I can't resist the "tell us what you do and why" part either, here goes: When at the range or informal shoots, I use water-based lubes, water-soluble lubes, or spit. I don't wipe the bore unless the crud ring gets obnoxious. This method does not work for most hunting situations as Longcruise pointed out, so I have a method for that worked out, too, and it absolutely requires wiping after two shots and preferably after the first one.

I load the ball with a damp patch (6:1 water:ballistol) over a jag. I do not need to wipe between shots and at 50 yards shots are usually touching or one ragged hole. .50 cal Hawken. Under the ball I use a patch dampened with Olde Turkey Track.

Good lines and the right combo can mean going many shots without a wipe.
Dry air vs humid air makes a big difference.
However I like Frank Herbert…. ‘Speed is the device of the Devil’.
Ml is fine wine and a pipe. It’s a performance of a great epic movie or an in-depth novel, it’s a fine dinner with friends, a walk in the woods during your favorite time of the year.
Slow down, take your time, relax.
So many say I can shoot a dozen shots with out a wipe. No doubt about it I’ve done that, but there is no advantage I can see in it.
There is times I dont, but it’s rare that I dont.
I got the time.

I think the point of the thread was not as much "Tell us what you do and why", but more "Don't get stuck in a rut because you worked something out long ago and keep doing it out of habit". Try something new once in a while, especially with a new to you gun. It may confirm your habitual methods are still the best for you, or you may learn something.

Since I can't resist the "tell us what you do and why" part either, here goes: When at the range or informal shoots, I use water-based lubes, water-soluble lubes, or spit. I don't wipe the bore unless the crud ring gets obnoxious. This method does not work for most hunting situations as Longcruise pointed out, so I have a method for that worked out, too, and it absolutely requires wiping after two shots and preferably after the first one.
Good post! I Couldn't agree more. It boils down to a range session/target shooting or actual hunting situations. Sometimes I keep my ML loaded for days on end while hunting. The last thing I want to use is any kind of spit/wet type of patch lube.

Good post! I Couldn't agree more. It boils down to a range session/target shooting or actual hunting situations. Sometimes I keep my ML loaded for days on end while hunting. The last thing I want to use is any kind of spit/wet type of patch lube.
The same thought goes for me as well. With any hunting lubes, I can never shoot more than twice without wiping. Since I mainly use my rifles for hunting, I've never tried a soaking wet patch, but I may try it the next time just to see how it does for target shooting.
It's not that I am in a huge hurry, but there are times that it would be nice to shoot multiple shots without having to stop and clean the bore. I usually take a bottle of rubbing alcohol to swab after every shot or two, since it dries quickly.
I've always had the opinion that lube types depend on what you're using your guns for.

Latest posts

Back