• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Warning to Canadian Flintlock owners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flinthead said:
Hello Double Duece,

Any repercussions will only be felt by me. I have lived and worked in the USA and some of my grandchildren are American citizens, I even went down to Everit Washington and tried to volunteer for Vietnam but I was told they were de-escalating at the time [1973 ]. The difference in the attitude between US law enforcement and Canadian is quite noticable. Anyway the more I reflect on it the more mad I become :cursing:

Americans should look North to see what can happen when politicians are given a free hand.

With BHO running the show here, along with a willing accomplice of our mainstream media, I could see this happening here. :(

WindLaker

Hey flinthead,

I wish I had the $5000.00 to give you bro.

Is there any chance at recovering court costs?

I was feeling sorry for myself about this situation the other day and I remembered a conversation I had with a friend of mine many years ago. We were talking about guns, and this was about 30 years ago, and he told me a story of what happened when he was about 15 in Germany towards the end of the war. He lived in eastern Germany and the Russians were getting close, about 30 klicks from where he lived.

The SD, some form of German police, were in the house when he came back from doing chores on the farm. They were demanding that his father hand over his guns. I guess they had a few rifles and a shot gun. Apparently a "concerned neighbor", and probably a Nazi party member, had reported that they had guns. His father was outraged and a shouting match was developing when Otto's brother walked in with a few other Waffen S.S. soldiers. His brother had just been wounded the day before and they were dropping him off at home as they were virtually a few miles from the front.

Needless to say the REMF SD left post haste when confronted by real soldiers. Increadable as it sounds the Nazis were disarming the civilians at the front fearing they might colaborate with the advancing Russians! Of course the Russians, as we know, won in the end but it begs the question whose side are the government on?

By the way no one got the guns, Otto brought the first drilling I ever saw to Canada.

The Sicherheitsdeinst... Basically the Nazi equivalent of the KGB. A real bunch of nasties, especially once they teamed up w/the Gestapo.

flinthead said:
I just finished being charged with owning firearms that were not registered. Fingerprinted photographed ect. The guns in question were Lyman flintlocks. I explained to the RCMP that you don't register flintlocks but they phoned their firearms "expert" and charged me anyway.

Lucky I didn't have a staple gun too or I might have been dead :grin: . Anyway a person should keep a copy of the firearms act on hand.

I don´t know anything about Canadian gun- and weapon laws. :surrender:
But beeing a German policeman myself I can tell you that not everyone is always informed as good as he should.
German weapon law is very strict and stupid. Made by politicians with no clue what´s going on. :youcrazy:
Just one example: All kinda guns are not free to carry. Even airguns! But: Pretty hidden in the depths of the law is an exeption from the rule - for flintlocks, matchlocks and wheellocks. :shocked2:
As I´m shooting flinters myself I´m aware of this. But think of getting pulled over. With a flinter on your backseat. By a fellow colleague that has not my background. His brain will work like this: "Gun, not in a locked bag (like German law requires)... :hmm: That guy carries! Tough he explains me he can - I´m not sure. :confused: Better take this gun and make a report... :hmm: "

It may be something similar that happened to you. Dig out the juristic facts (paper) and then try your best - if necassary with a lawyer.

Print out the relevant section from the CFC website (see http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/powder-poudre-eng.htm ). Then drop by the local Crown Prosecutor (no appointment necessary) and show him/her the print out. The prosecutor will immediately see there is no case and then probably recommend you drop by the local cop shop and relay the info to the cop who laid the charges and ask if he/she wants to drop them. If he/she does not, the Crown prosecutor will take over.

If you've told us everything accurately, this case won't go past the first hearing (pre-trial). No lawyer is necessary unless you want to launch a civil suit against the officer who laid the charges.

At the very least, you need to file a formal complaint with the RCMP. The officer will then have to deal with the in-house procedure and there is a good chance there will be disciplinary action taken. At the very least, there will be an internal investigation.

Have you contacted the Canadian NFA (www.nfa.ca)? They may take your case for free.

Is there any newspaper report you can link us to regarding your charges? Are you a member of http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/ ? If not, you should join and let them know the details of this case. This is so bizarre that I have difficulty believing this. Were there any flintlock pistols involved?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the RCMP may not be the brighest bulbs, but were in Alberta, what detachment, and where was the front yard ?
BC has laws about discharging firearms within a certain distance of a public road.
Perhaps the chap could publish a photo of the charge sheet ?

I just got word via the grapevine up here in Canada that you also had some unregistered non-restricted firearms and no PAL. That would throw everything into a whole new light. If there are charges for your flintlock rifles, those charges will not make it past the pre-trial ..... no lawyer needed there. But for your normal rifles (non-restricted) that were not registered, you'd be alright due to the amnesty, but only if you have a PAL. From what I've heard, you have no PAL. You will definitely need a lawyer for that one. I do hope the lawyer is able to get you off on that.

If you had other firearms other than flintlocks you will as you know need a PAL or an up to date POC.
Other than that they will try to get you on a charge of unsafe storage ( ie no trigger lock, ammunition in same room as the firearm, not under a double lock, etc) or unsafe discharge of a firearm.

The NFA (of which I am a member) just sent me a publication entitled “A Primer On Search Warrants”, which I suggest every Canadian should be familiar.

Reading all the regs you fellas have in Canada sure makes me feel even more determined to defend our 2nd Amendment! Sorry you guys have such a problem up there. We're wont be too far behind if some have their way.

gmww said:
Reading all the regs you fellas have in Canada sure makes me feel even more determined to defend our 2nd Amendment! Sorry you guys have such a problem up there. We're wont be too far behind if some have their way.

According to what I hear some US states aren't too far behind us now.

And that's what scary! Do you ever see a change in Canada for the better or is it only going to become more restrictive?

I have read the complete thread and can't believe whats going on there. I'm a police officer here in Germany. It is absolutely unlawful to take a person to police station, making fingerprints, taking his property and don't even know the right articles of law. In Germany you can complain against the officers, the station commander and the department.Furthermore you can bring it to the prosecutor. For all the things they did, they would need a judges permission here in Germany. A police man can't go into a house or property, and take legal guns against the will of the owner together with the owner to the police station to hold him there for fingerprinting, etc. Therefore a judge has to be asked before.

Looks like the GDR is alive in CANADA. :(

Regards

Kirrmeister

I sure hope that flinthead gets back to us about the question of other modern weapons being involved in this issue. :confused:

If they are, that puts a whole different light on things. :hmm:

gmww said:
And that's what scary! Do you ever see a change in Canada for the better or is it only going to become more restrictive?
No change really...never got worse no better.Gun registration never shattered my life or anything like that.I have some that are and well...... :hmm:
Let's put it this way...If your doing something you shouldn't and there's guns involved and the cops get ya....well...then, so be it.

Only pistols made before 1898 are exempt from the registration all replica and pistols made after this date have to be registered and you need a resticted firearms licence to own one.Even if they are flintlock or matchlock.

Tom

i know, like i said i wasnt looking forward to going through the business of the registry yet.

Latest posts

Back