• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Warning to Canadian Flintlock owners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flinthead

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished being charged with owning firearms that were not registered. Fingerprinted photographed ect. The guns in question were Lyman flintlocks. I explained to the RCMP that you don't register flintlocks but they phoned their firearms "expert" and charged me anyway.

Lucky I didn't have a staple gun too or I might have been dead :grin: . Anyway a person should keep a copy of the firearms act on hand.

Assuming there isn't more to the story, I'm betting the Prosecutor will drop the charges.
I doubt that the RCMP will send out a representative to apologize to you like a proper gentleman would though. :cursing:

This is interesting, and disturbing. Please keep us up to date.

Hi Zonie! I can see you are not familiar with the RCMP or Canadian jurisprudence. After spending a lot on a lawyer I might get my guns back, very doubtlfull, but the chance of any apology ranks right up there with winning the powerball. The ironic thing is I can go hop in my car and drive to the city and buy another flintlock with no hassle. Canada is in bad shape.

get a hold of the canadian firearms association they may be able to help here is their web site.
they should be able to help you out.

www.nfa.ca

Hope it helps Tom

Here is their phone number (780)439-1394

Everyone in the US thinks the Mounties are like state troopers or something. They are not, they are a law unto themselves at times. Most of them are pretty decent guys but they are not fire arms "experts" or even very good cops.

I recall a few years back when my buddy had to land on a highway due to freezing rain. We patiently explained to the RCMP that there was no law against landing a plane on the highway or subsequently taking off again when the weather cleared. They held us up for hours trying to find something to charge us with. When the Transport Canada office finally opened up they told the coppers that we had broke no laws.

They had their dear hearts set on charging us with something because they felt it was "just wrong".

Thanks Free, I will get a lawyer Monday as well. It just makes me feel like ####. I have to spend the money regardless now. Guilty until proven innocent???

The Canadian Shooting Sports Association. The Canadian equivalent of the NRA, to a much smaller degree of course. It would certainly be worth your while to at least call them, member or not.
Here's their web-site http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
im so sorry with your run in with the miss-informed "law"
in what manner did u get the charge anyways?

It never ceases to amaze me that those who enforce the law have no idea of the law. Tell them to look in the Perscribed Antiques Regulations where reproduction flintlocks manufactued after 1897 are listed. Then go to the Firearms Act Part III subsection 84(1) for the definition of 'antique'. It states under 'antique' "any firearm that is perscribed to be an antique". Then go to subsection 84(3) where it states that ...the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms (a) any antique firearm...A gun owner in Canada has to be a lawyer to protect themselves from our police. Almost every gun owner I know has contempt for the police. There is also an Amnesty on now for unregistered firearms that they forgot about. These police are incompetent.

A person driving by saw a gun outside my house. You can legaly shoot right in my front yard, people do all the time hunting gophers.

They phoned the RCMP, I showed them the gun, they asked if I owned more and I showed them my other flintlock. They asked for my PAL and I told them I don't have one or need one.

They phone their firearms "expert" and charge me with having unregistered firearms. Next time I will tell them to leave the property as they are tresspassing and go get a warrent or face the consequences.

I should also mention that while at the station I asked if they had a copy of the firearms act as I would show them the section that excempts flintlocks. They repied that they relied on their highly qualified firearms experts to rule on matters like mine.

Not knowing Canadian law, I hope you will prevail and have your property returned to you. Maybe this will result in some sort of update or refresher training for those individuals so as hopefully not to make the same mistake again.
Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

I would think its online. Might post a link for them to read it themselves.

Hello Double Duece,

Any repercussions will only be felt by me. I have lived and worked in the USA and some of my grandchildren are American citizens, I even went down to Everit Washington and tried to volunteer for Vietnam but I was told they were de-escalating at the time [1973 ]. The difference in the attitude between US law enforcement and Canadian is quite noticable. Anyway the more I reflect on it the more mad I become :cursing:

Americans should look North to see what can happen when politicians are given a free hand.

i don,t know if i would retain a lawyer so quickly . you may want to see what they are going to do first . the charges will have to be accepted by the crown before they can proceed any further . i would hope that there must be some brain cells in that process before it gets that far. if crown wants to proceed , at that point you will have to retain a lawyer .
i think i would drive down there every day and ask for my guns back . f%^$'m .

you will get your guns back .

Back