• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Warning to Canadian Flintlock owners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do police bring the charges against a person? Even if the police do not know what is going on, once the prosecuter gets it he shold know the law and see no violation has occured?

P

Your OP said nothing about centrefire guns. Charges were laid over them as you now admit and as I understand were unregisterd. It seems odd that charges relating to unregistered centre fire guns could be dropped but not regarding a flintlock. Your lawyer should have had no problem showing that flintlocks don't need to be registered if he could get the other charges dropped.
You can spin this any way you want but I still think there is much more to this than is being admitted.

flinthead said:
Everyone in the US thinks the Mounties are like state troopers or something. They are not, they are a law unto themselves at times. Most of them are pretty decent guys but they are not fire arms "experts" or even very good cops.

I recall a few years back when my buddy had to land on a highway due to freezing rain. We patiently explained to the RCMP that there was no law against landing a plane on the highway or subsequently taking off again when the weather cleared. They held us up for hours trying to find something to charge us with. When the Transport Canada office finally opened up they told the coppers that we had broke no laws.

They had their dear hearts set on charging us with something because they felt it was "just wrong".

Sounds like they are more like OUR "BATF".... :barf:

I am not surprised that charges regarding long guns were dropped as many post offices ran out of registration forms before the deadline. Additionally, good old Ralph said he would not prosecute any firearms cases; as a result many are dropped before the cases go to court.

You may have a case of justice denied, in that your court appearance on flint locks will be in the spring.

The police often pursue cases they know they will loose simply to teach the defendant a lesson, ie how much has your lawyer cost you so far.

As a result of your post, I brought the case of flintlocks to the attention of a senior RCMP officer who at first would not believe me, later I guess after he looked into the manner a standing order was issued to all RCMP.
:grin:

The Crown has no choice but to drop all charges if there is not more to the story. We know that Flintlock black powder long firearms do not need to be registered nor is a PAL required of the owner. I would not even bother to hire a lawyer when you go to court, as the law is cut and dried. The judge will rule on the law period. All this will do is make the RCMP look like a bunch of incompetent idiots who do not know the laws that they are charged to enforce. I have 9 centerfire long guns, 1 flintlock and 1 caplock long rifle. All of my weapons are registered with the exception of the flinter. I have a valid PAL so I also know the law as far as firearm ownership goes in Canada.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Latest posts

Back