• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unusual Side Hammer Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you can see in the pictures I have some solder separation between the barrels. I am looking for ideas on the best way to repair this. As we all know muzzle loading rifles like this do not have the same recoil shock as modern rifles so a high tensile epoxy may work. I do plan on shooting this piece so a repair is in order. I could soft solder the joint or I could use one of the new silver based epoxies. Does anyone on the forum have experience with these high strength epoxies or should I just re-solder the barrels? I have restored many guns but this is my first double so I really could use some ideas with this project. The rifle looks hand made so I am really unsure of the value of this piece,

Also as you can see in this picture the "flash cups" on the end of the hammers are missing or damaged. Does anyone know who might sell these or is it time to see my blacksmith friend? Thanks everyone.

c497j8R.jpg

Ok Guys, I was kidding about the epoxy. I re-soldered the barrels and everything is copacetic. Right now I am trying to fabricate new flash cups. I will post later. MP

Very interesting piece. Im particularly fascinated with why they would produce it with two distinctly different, yet relatively close in caliber, rifled barrels...

Could it be that one barrel was re-bored later?

Well, the side hammer is ready for the range. I emailed Dr. Decker with the LACA in New York and asked if this rifle could be a Lefever & Ellis prototype and he said it is possible but it is probably made by a frontier gunsmith. I went through everything on this gun to ensure it is safe to shoot. I feel it is but since I am not a fan of rapid disassembly (blow up) this gun will be remote fired. I found that normal flash cups would not fit so I bought some copper pipe end caps and forged some cups that would fit. The ramrods are made from hard wood. Since this is a hand made rifle I wanted to keep the file marks, dings and dents to keep it as authentic as possible. I also want to keep the finish as authentic as possible so I did my "distressed" bluing job to make it look aged. But in the interest of safety, I had to strip it down to work on the defects. So it will be off to the range next week to see how it does.

kwTtizx.jpg

2SIZcvP.jpg

vOa9uHN.jpg

vo1RjwD.jpg

77L4ILX.jpg

KYq7o2q.jpg

An associate of mine posted on another forum with an idea on the origins of this rifle. I thought it was pretty funny so I decided to share it with you.

Heelerau wrote:
I wonder if it was in fact made by a backwoods gunsmith, it has for me a rather agricultural look.It is well made, has good lines and is very functional Having two different caliber barrels smacks ( not that different) to me of using a couple of barrels that were lying around in the workshop. I could see two good old boys sitting around and having a good yarn over what to do with said barrels and coming up with something like this.

Heelerau,
That is a great visual right now. I can see two country boy's like me sitting around the shop looking at a gun magazine when they spot a picture of an expensive Lefever and Ellis double. One say's "hold my beer" and the other says "What fer?". Cause we are gonna build us a big city gun like one of dem dare Lafavor's from Uncle Cornpone's shooters. I can make fun of rednecks cause I am one and that's what makes it so funny. I still hope that this rifle it some long lost prototype but I love the redneck angle.

Hello All,
I just picked up an unusual over/under , side hammer rifle from Gunbroker. It has a .40cal rifled barrel and a .45 cal smooth bore, 24" in length. Judging by the shape of the stock and the metal work, I would say this was made right around the civil war time frame. The seller has said that there are no marking that he can find. I cannot wait for it to be delivered so I can start my research. All the information I have is what I have told you. The only time I have ever seen a rifle like this was in a museum and that is why I am picking your brains for information.

359vTbn.jpg
Beautiful! I have a similar S. Vosburg, .36 rifle over a 28 gauge shotgun. One trigger operates both hammers. There's a paragraph or 2 in Ned Robert's, Cap Lock Rifle book.
It shoots like a dream!

I was on Gunbroker last night an low and behold I ran across a rifle/shotgun that looks like MonkeyPaws combo only it was a 32 over 12 if I remember correctly and the asking price was like $2995?

20 years ago, I was told mine was worth $12-13000. Since it's sentmental worth is more than that to me, the appraisal was immaterial.

Not often but, it shoots like a dream. Use a .35 ball with .010 patch. The outside barrel diameters are the same so it's front heavy.

Back