• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New .58 caliber Hawken type Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been wanting a .58 caliber Hawken type rifle for some time. Recently, I sold an unmentionable rifle that I had not fired or used in over 30 years to a deer hunter up in Maine. If you live up that way you can probably figure out what it was. Anyway, I used the proceeds to order this .58 from George Nelson in Minnesota. It was delivered this week. It has a 36" Rice match-grade barrel, and a little better than plain Maple stock, but not over the top curl. I also requested a full buckhorn rear sight, and browned iron furniture. TOW has a couple of his rifles on their site if you want to see some other examples.

Attachments

• Hawken581.jpg
    Hawken581.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Hawken582.jpg
    Hawken582.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken583.jpg
    Hawken583.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken584.jpg
    Hawken584.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 0
Have not weighed it yet. It is really well balanced. The barrel is a straight 1" octagon. I know historically they were tapered, but I believe Rice only has straight barrels at this time. My .54 has a Goodoien barrel, and he is not making them anymore so..

Last edited:
Have not weighed it yet. It is really well balanced. The barrel is a straight 1" octagon. I know historically they were tapered, but I believe Rice only has straight barrels at this time. My .54 has a Goodien barrel, and he is not making them anymore so..
Kia Ora OldMaine Woodsman.
Love your rifle.
My word it's well made.
I am south paw myself .
Your Barrel has my intrest.
Apologies for poor photo:(
Is this your barrel maker?
My most accurate rifle is this one & I know little of Mr Goodien.
I purchased 2nd time around.
Incredible accuracy it's a .38 caliber.
Drills bulls at 100 200 yards
Really would appreciate any information on him , if you could help.
Kia Ora Tatou
Thanks very much 😀

Attachments

• 20231206_211714~2.jpg
    20231206_211714~2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 0
Very nice 👍. Makes me want to kick my family out so i can get back to work on my 62 jim bridger hawken 😂

The one on top is a .54 caliber. It has a 36" J. Goodoien barrel, engraved Bob Roller lock, a checkered wrist with curly maple stock. The lock, trigger guard, and butt plate are color cased, which have aged (faded) to a mottled gray. The nose cap is pewter, but the ram rod thimble, patch box, and toe plate are nickel plated. The stock is slightly thicker than the one below. The only thing I can think of was it was intended as a competition or just fancied up rifle. I do not know who built it.

The bottom one is the .58 caliber that I just received. 36" Rice barrel, with browned iron furniture.

Both rifles have a browned barrel.

Attachments

• Hawkens1.jpg
    Hawkens1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
You have a very good looking rifle that will make you proud. Take some photos of targets when you shoot it next. I like it!

Latest posts

Back