• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tvm fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jr campbell

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What is a good ball and loading for a tvm fowler?This will be my first time shooting round ball out of my fowler so I am looking for a good starting point.

Well, iffin it's a .62 like mine it will probably have a somewhat tight bore. A .600" lead ball patched with a thin - .010" to .012" patch and at least 60 grains of 3F. Powder charge, well, you're going to have to find your most accurate. 75 grains killed a deer for me with this load. Don't forget 2F which you "might" like even better. I also shoot bare ball loads with a .606" ball cast from old WW on top of a fiber or felt wad and a card wad on top ot the ball; seat it all as one unit.

Measure you're bore, as Hanshi said, some are tighter than others. My .620 bore likes a patched .600 ball and 80 grains of 3f powder. My TVM smooth rifle has a .615 bore and like a .018 thick patch with a .595 ball, but,,,, likes a .610 ball that sits atop a lubed felt wad, over 85 grains of 3f powder, even better.

You will have to experiment.

nessmuk said:
My TVM fowler has a 36" barrel, and I use a .015 patch and a .600 round ball with 60 gr of 3F Goex and this load is accurate to about 60 yards.

Mine has a 38" barrel, handles very nice and shoots quite accurately at the distances you mention.

I shot my fowler today with a .600 ball and a .10 patch.The gun was really dirty after the first shot.I was using a lubed patch and 70 grains of 2ff.Why is the gun getting so dirty?I can see the patch come out and land about 15 feet from the barrel.I think I might be getting blow bye or something.

A thicker patch might help with the fouling, but fouling is to be expected with black powder. An over powder card will also scrape off the fouling as you load the gun.

Finding the patches 15 to 25 feet from the muzzle after firing is normal. Look at the patches for excessive signs of burning. That would be the surest indicator of blow by.

The gun does not foul half as bad with bird shot.The ball is really hard to set after the second shot.

When you load the bird shot, you are probably using over powder cards, loved cushion wads and over shot cards. Effectively the cards and wads are wiping the fouling from the bore between shots. There is no harm in wiping the bore between shots with a dampened patch. Try wiping the bore after firing a round ball with patch.

Back