• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

touch hole liners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said, so long as folks are willing to say that the liners they use have no resemblance to the touchholes that are on originals, no disagreement. In return, I'm more than willing to say that by elemental analysis someone can tell a modern steel barrel from a wrought iron one- but not by any visual or non-destructive means. I could tell you I have a worught iron barrel and how would you know it's not? But anyone can tell that an ampco or shiny alloy, 3/8" wide liner has no resemblance to anything seen on original longrifles.

And that's as OK as using peep sights or scopes or whatever folks want to use when they try to get the best, "closest to modern" performance out of their longrifles. Just a personal choice, but one that has become so common that 95% of folks have come to think they represent something original.

No need for me to add. it to say Mr. Pierce has so eloquently stated what needed to be said. :applause:

Jim Chambers sells a liner made of non-stainless steel for those who are concerned with the appearance of a stainless liner.

Regards,
Pletch

:hmm: Well, I'll say it again; maybe third time's the charm. I'm not concerned about HC/PC and passing muster from white glove inspections. My original post wasn't about barrels; it was about vent liners. One sentence referenced barrels in order to put vent liners in perspective. I wasn't aware metallurgic analysis was part of the thread; I'm not a metallurgist.

I much prefer vent liners for the reasons I mentioned previously. If you don't like them (general statement & not directed to you) that's fine. I will not show up on your doorstep with Vinnie and Guido. I hope this is explained well enough up to this point.

I can't figure out how scopes and such entered this discussion. If you (again) like them on your rifles I'm fine with that. I won't criticize anyone for that. I don't use them, just open sights. It shouldn't be necessary to say this but my posts represent MY opinions. My job is not to convert anyone or become upset because my opinions are not always shared by everyone. It's also not my job to stand around pumping my fist in the air and yelling "you got him good, fight, fight.../.". I would hope all of us were better than that but sadly, it is not to be. A good question might be, "who got who"? Sounds weird that someone "got" someone.

:surrender: I surrender; if barrels, metallurgy and scopes are the menu then so be it. I won't be at the table so please don't chase me :nono: .

There are many paths to take in our enjoyment of the muzzleloading sport. One path is to fully understand and experience the flintlock rifle of the period. I built my own due to lack of funds. Took me 3 years as I bought and made parts as I went, completing it in '89. I'll have to admit that omitting the touch hole liner was due to cutting corners as much as trying to be as authentic as possible.
Another path is to have a traditional looking rifle with a few improvements to suit one's own taste. Well, to each his own. You don't have to convince me that you are happy with your choices. I am with mine. My goal is to experience the sport as authentically as possible, knowing that it will be impossible to do it 100%. You may do or have things that are more authentic in different ways than I have. All I'll say is that I don't know any better since I've never had a liner and learned to shoot without it.

Rich Pierce said:
Bushing a rifle with a worn touchhole in the flintlock period here would normally be done using wrought iron and there's not much evidence that the bushing would be internally coned much/most of the time. If folks want to justify their using "liners" because originals were sometimes "bushed", there may be a bit of apples and oranges here.

The statement was that there were few or no "liners" back in the day.
He wanted citations for his "notes". I posted them. Now he can put them in his "notes", or not.

Nobody but and da*ned fool would think they were made like a White lightning in design or materials. BUT THEY WERE STILL THERE. They were installed in the SAME or very SIMILAR manner.

As I have stated here before.
I don't like plain vents. They are not reliable unless over .093" and probably not then.
People can pontificate on how reliable THEIR plain vent is but my experience is they are not.

I like flintlocks.
I like Kentucky rifles.
I am not making flintlocks in 1770.
I make them to use I don't make them just to look at.
People need to ask this question.
"What vent liner would I want if I knew that a flash in the pan would cause me to die?"
This is how I look at it. In 1770 I might not have any choice or even KNOW of another. But this ain't 1770.
In a discussion with another long time flintlock user concerning this issue, reliability etc. He wondered how many of the people that love to make such statements actually use the guns. Like as part of the DAILY LIFE. LIKE ON A JOB. LIKE TO EAT. LIKE FOR 6 MONTHS STRAIGHT IN THE MOUNTAINS HORSEBACK.
He has. I used to run around in grizzly country with a FL, but wait! I still do.
I like the reliability of a GOOD vent liner.
Furthermore when I put the rifle in the pickup and drive I know the smaller vent will not pass powder and UNLOAD IT to a greater or lesser extent from vibration.
Anyone who thinks this not likely, simply is CLUELESS. .070" WILL pass FF Swiss if in the "Easy Rider Rifle Rack" in my 66 pickup.
Why do I carry a loaded FL in the pickup? Because in the course of a day I may drive 50-100 miles to visit various parcels of public land and either glass or walk them. I am not going to load and unload the rifle every time. Its too time consuming and I am hunting, not playing with my flintlock.
So after walking 2-3 miles, maybe running if I find game I need to catch up to, maybe crawling on my belly for anything up the a 1/4 mile having the thing go "POOF" rather than "bang" or missing the shot because I think a smoothbore is cool is just aggravating as H*LL.
Yeah, I have had both happen over the years more than once. So don't tell me I don't "understand" plain vents OR poor liners OR smoothbores.
So I use properly made vent liners specifically designed to give fast, reliable ignition with a small touchhole diameter, usually .062 or slightly smaller. I have good reason to use a vent liner. So do the people I make rifles for.
But then none of them are thread counters.
I don't recall ever threatening to come to someone's house and exact vengeance because they want to use a plain vent.
I could care less what someone wants for a vent in their flintlock.
If making a museum quality rifle for display or demonstration it should have a plain vent about .90 or even larger.
So if someone posts a question and a poster states that a plain drilled vent is as good as a good liner I will, if I feel like wasting some more time, tell them I do not agree.

So given that:
Someone that does not hunt.
Someone who's idea of hunting is setting in a tree stand he walks 25 to 300 yards to that the deer walk past every morning and/or afternoon.

Someone who sets around some "event" worrying about if the hidden stitching in his shirt is 100% HC but never shoots his somewhat HC "prop" flintlock.
Someone who lacks the ability to laugh at someone (or tell them to get a life) who gives him a hard time about his modern vent liner.

These individuals MAY ALL HAVE DIFFERENT CRITERIA in how functional their flintlock might need to be than I do.
I use stainless liners that I design to bring the main charge within .030 or less of the pan.
Some reader here don't like it?
Not their gun.

"Get a life".

Dan

hanshi said:
Capt. Jas. said:
No need for me to add. it to say Mr. Pierce has so eloquently stated what needed to be said. :applause:

Just curious; then why did you add? :hmm:

Should have read as "except to say". Maybe if I just replied "ditto" it would have met with approval? Regardless, it was because I felt like responding to Rich's well written post.

Just curious; why did you refer to hc/pc as "precious"?

Sounds like you have a good life, being able to drive and walk for miles and miles hunting. In the midwest it is not all that possible to do unless you are wealthy. I live modestly, having five sons, with only one off on his way (presently in Iraq). The chances I have for hunting is 1/2 mile out of town on 27 acres. Been taking two sons with me the last couple years. 6 deer taken in the last 5. High times. Life is good for me, too. Still going linlerless, though. Guess I'll never know what it's like to devote so much time to the muzzleloader sport to make critical decisions like using stainless steel liners.

This certainly has gotten to be a passionate debate. Like many I have seen over the years, it will never be settled. I see a couple reasons for that. There have been many guns built over the centuries. To make a broad statement like: "The originals never had them." is folly. We will never know what might have been tried over the centuries. And, has there ever been a true definition of "original" for the discussions? I think not. One could argue that a recently built custom muzzle loader is an "original". As far as liners are concerned, examples can be found of liners in guns going back a long-long time. Now, for the IMHO part. I believe liners are often very important for shooters of recently built rifles. The reason is we often do a lot more shooting than, say a frontiersman. They usually only shot from necessity. We shoot recreationally, sometimes a hundred rounds in a day. That, of course, can burn out a vent hole in much less time than 'back then' guy with one shot a month.

Dan Phariss said:
"Get a life".

Dan

I use them cause there's grizzlies! ITS LIFE OR DEATH FOR ME! :cursing:

If only Hugh Glass had had a gun equipped with a White Lightning liner! :hmm: Oh, wait a minute, his gun DID go off! :rotf:

If I get through to the moment of truth, and get a "pffffft" instead of a "BOOM!", and it has happened in fair or foul weather, I am greatly disappointed and I say to myself "man, those guys were something!" as I lick my wounds and head back home. But then I don't hear much about hunters being ravaged by angry whitetails.

To me it's setting the bar and seeing if I'm up to the challenge. Not finding a better bar or a way to justify bending it.

Wish I had the material before me, but I know of at least one English gunsmith who bored a hole in the barrel OPPOSITE the vent and then counterbored the inside of the vent. He then plugged the hole opposite the vent with a safety blow-out plug. Very clever. Just can't recall his name.

Stumpkiller said:
Wish I had the material before me, but I know of at least one English gunsmith who bored a hole in the barrel OPPOSITE the vent and then counterbored the inside of the vent. He then plugged the hole opposite the vent with a safety blow-out plug. Very clever. Just can't recall his name.

That's one way. I know of two others - one historic and one current that do this. Both of these work through the breech.
Regards,
Pletch

Very common in high grade late flint to percussion sporting smoothies to have all sorts of breech refinements.

It's relatively easy to cone the inside of a drilled touchhole using either a home-made tool or one purchased of Tom Snyder for around $30. Tom's tool is a cone-shaped cutter that threads on to a 1/16" threaded shaft. Drill the touchhole, insert the threaded shaft, reach in from the breech and position the cutter, screw them together, get some cutting oil on there and use a hand drill to cut the cone to the depth desired. I admit to being a shady character and coning a couple of rifles this way, without offending my aesthetic sensibilities. In the Journal of Historic Armsmaking Technology (JHAT) put together long ago by Williamsburg folks and their friends, an eggbeater type tool from the period that accomplished the same purpose was shown. It had a cone-shaped cutter that ran at right angles to the length of the tool which could be inserted into the breech, pressed against the touchhole, and turned to cone the touchhole from the inside.

Stumpkiller said: "....I know of at least one English gunsmith who bored a hole in the barrel OPPOSITE the vent and then counterbored the inside of the vent. He then plugged the hole opposite the vent with a safety blow-out plug."
It is common to see presentation grade guns, rifles and shotguns, in museums with that opposite side plug. Some will argue that it was not a vent hole access but a blow-out plug for safety. Let 'em argue. The vent liner could also be a safety blow-out plug.

Rich,
The 2 coning tools you describe are the ones I was referring to. I'm glad you explained their use. I am experimenting with one of Mr. Snyder's tools currently. In addition to the normal cutter, he provided me with a couple of tools for treating the exterior of the vent. These exterior vent treatments will be part of a vent study that Steve Chapman and I expect to do shortly. This is kind of open-ended. We normally do this type of work with barrel stubs, but may experiment with a full length rifle barrel too.
Regards,
Pletch

"Just curious; why did you refer to hc/pc as "precious"?"

That would be the typical response fro someone who does not belong in a topic that even remotly is about history,

and there is just no answere to the guys who needs a liner 'cause of bears except maybe some "issues" of some sort, again not really belonging in some topics.but somehow driven to post ridiculis statements about making the old stuff better.

" Now, for the IMHO part. I believe liners are often very important for shooters of recently built rifles"

My Gawd there's another one

:youcrazy:

Pletch said:
Rich,
The 2 coning tools you describe are the ones I was referring to. I'm glad you explained their use. I am experimenting with one of Mr. Snyder's tools currently. In addition to the normal cutter, he provided me with a couple of tools for treating the exterior of the vent. These exterior vent treatments will be part of a vent study that Steve Chapman and I expect to do shortly. This is kind of open-ended. We normally do this type of work with barrel stubs, but may experiment with a full length rifle barrel too.
Regards,
Pletch

Looking forward to it. Tom's tools are top notch. I know some feel that an external cone is very helpful for ignition consistency and may possibly affect timing as well. The camera will tell! :thumbsup:

Of course there were white lightning vent liners in the old days!! They were just made of gold!!

Back