• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Worked on my Pedersoli frontier tonight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Late summer I purchased a used .54 Pedersoli frontier flintlock rifle. Last month I sighted it in and it seems a bit slow to fire. I did get it sighted in. Tonight I took a closer look at to the slow fire issues. I know it is only a mass produced Pedersoli rifle..... not a Kibler or a custom built rifle. It is what I could afford. I appreciate the fact that the touch hole liner screws out from the rifle so You can examine the innards of the rifle. This used rifle had rust in different places even after I did a good cleaning job last month. After removing the liner, there was rust on the threads in the barrel and the liner. I also saw rust inside the patent breech. Using a larger brush for the barrel, and a smaller brush with a patch to get down in to the patent breech, the barrel is nicely cleaned along with the touch hole and removable liner. I can see there is no extra ballistol down in the breech area that might contaminate the priming powder in the breech. The touch hole itself was a bit too small. That may have also contributed to the slow fireing. The touch hole should use a 050 drill bit in size which is .070 size. The touchhole hole itself was smaller than .050 so I drilled it out with the best bit I had which was .062. Muzzleloading season starts Saturday the 6th and I believe all my cleaning and tweaking will make this flintlock a faster shooting, more dependable rifle.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• touchhole.jpg
    touchhole.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 9
  • touchhole 2.jpg
    touchhole 2.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
.062” touch hole is a good size and good luck on your hunt. I’d recommend not removing the touch hole liner as any tightly fitted screw will wear on both the male and female threads to the point you’ll have problems later. I’ve used liners in flintlocks for years with out removing them and had no problems cleaning or maintaining the rifles.

Both nipples on my Ped were drilled way too small to get reliable ignition also. I don't know if it was a QC issue or they just made the holes a little too small, but it wouldn't surprise me if you're a flash hole is slightly undersized as well.

Be careful with that little brush. It isn't made to be pulled. The bristle part is only crimped on the threaded part. It will come loose at the most inopportune time.

Be careful with that little brush. It isn't made to be pulled. The bristle part is only crimped on the threaded part. It will come loose at the most inopportune time.
Ya, no kidding. Ask me how I know. Having a handy can of compressed air with a tube that fits into the touch hole is a good idea.

Rusty
You can remove the flash hole liner to clean your Frontier. Clean the threads good, and put a dab of "Anti Seize" on the threads. This will keep them from getting rusted in.
If needed you can get new flash hole liners for Pedersoli at TOW. The thread size for Pedersoli is M8-1.25.

Dave

As long as you are applying a dab of grease or anti seize on the threads and not over torqueing the liner , there is no issue with ever wearing out the threads to the point you would ever have an issue. With a patent breech , it's almost a must to remove the liner to properly clean the small channel at the breech.

Back