• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To the older guys…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter and grand daughter have raided all my photo albums.
I gave my little bro all the pics I had from the 60s with him in them.
My flintlock goes to the grand boy. But he is gonna have to wait for it.
Told the medium woman to keep what she wants, and sell the rest.

Ya know, I started reading this thread at the start but quit as I don't sit around and worry about this and that reference the general point of this thread. I have more guns and guitars, tools also that I really need, but don't worry about what's going to happen to them after the Lord decides its time. I do have several firearms that have been with me for a long time, several that were my Dad's, several that were with me during my time as a LEO, black powder firearms that Gampa is building. My kids and wife know what ones they are and will distribute them when needed. Same way with my guitars, have one granddaughter that is playing, maybe a few more later, but they can have what they want and sell any they want. Tools, well kids and grandkids can figure it out.

When my Dad and mother in-law passed, both respective funeral homes hounded the H outa the wife and I, wanting to set up prefuneral's so to speak. Told them I was interested in living, not worrying about dying and planning this and that. There is adequate funds to take care of any situations when it comes down the pike. Same goes for cemetery plots and headstones. My parents bought plots in the local resting place years ago for pennies on the dollar for myself and siblings, advised us we could keep em or sell em depending how life's journey took us. I pay no attention to the grassy area of mine. Who knows, may never need it (that's another story). Had a headstone outfit sending and calling once upon a time after a brother-in-law passed and they became aware I had a grassy knoll in the local cemetery. All kinds of offers for and reasons why I should buy a headstone and have it on that grassy knoll. Hounded us with letters, phone calls, and even a visit one day.

There are guys who come to the local coffee shop I attend on occasion that have plots and headstones all bought. Every once in a while, they get talking about their future place of rest like they can't wait to get there. I've even seen a few of them standing at their spot on Memeorial Day, staring down at their future abode. That's nuts, asked one of them one time if he and his wife place flowers on their site. Said (typed) all of this to say this, I'm interested in living, not going to worry about what happens to physical things I've accumulated in this world, I'm more interested in another place. Not going to fret daily or be involved in forum threads that IMO are a waste of time and breath thinking/talking about accumulated possessions. Who knows, I may sell some of this and that when I get tired of having to many around, turn the cash into gold and sit and stare at it. While I haven't read many posts here since page 1, this is my thoughts about it, see its turned into a 9 page thesis. (and I did get involved by posting this post, but all I'm saying about it). Have a good day everyone. CC

Well, I already have that settled, my gun, horn, pouch and knife is to be buried with me as well as some other possible that I need in the hereafter
Ha. In a 1,000 years your bones will be in a museum glass display with the gun horn pouch and knife, and a sign that says “Example of how people lived in 21st century “.

I figure they are part of my spouses retirement funds.

I made sure she has a good idea of what they are worth.

My gut tells me once I am gone that she will start to realize with me gone that learning to shoot at least the shotgun is a good plan.
My wife isn’t a shooter really and a 5’ tall mild mannered little lady but she can handle her Smith and Wesson unmentionable just fine… she’s also a big fan of her M94 and loves to shock folks with her tale of the day she killed a black bear that was after a calf…

I am 91, made a gun two years ago [GPR kit], rebuilt/redesigned several, made several knives in the past year or two, and my wife knows my desire; give them to friends who will use/treasure them to use or display. I have given away seven MLs and seven knives in the past few years and will probably do so again soon. Betty will sell if money is needed and let our kids worry about it when she follows me home. None of our kids is really into MLs but some like having them for historic value and reminders of our lives. I still have more than 40, I think. Joy has accompanied each purchase and each use; can't ask much more.
I don't believe I will be using them much more after this year. Polecat 🦨 :horseback:

Ya know, I started reading this thread at the start but quit as I don't sit around and worry about this and that reference the general point of this thread. I have more guns and guitars, tools also that I really need, but don't worry about what's going to happen to them after the Lord decides its time. I do have several firearms that have been with me for a long time, several that were my Dad's, several that were with me during my time as a LEO, black powder firearms that Gampa is building. My kids and wife know what ones they are and will distribute them when needed. Same way with my guitars, have one granddaughter that is playing, maybe a few more later, but they can have what they want and sell any they want. Tools, well kids and grandkids can figure it out.

When my Dad and mother in-law passed, both respective funeral homes hounded the H outa the wife and I, wanting to set up prefuneral's so to speak. Told them I was interested in living, not worrying about dying and planning this and that. There is adequate funds to take care of any situations when it comes down the pike. Same goes for cemetery plots and headstones. My parents bought plots in the local resting place years ago for pennies on the dollar for myself and siblings, advised us we could keep em or sell em depending how life's journey took us. I pay no attention to the grassy area of mine. Who knows, may never need it (that's another story). Had a headstone outfit sending and calling once upon a time after a brother-in-law passed and they became aware I had a grassy knoll in the local cemetery. All kinds of offers for and reasons why I should buy a headstone and have it on that grassy knoll. Hounded us with letters, phone calls, and even a visit one day.

There are guys who come to the local coffee shop I attend on occasion that have plots and headstones all bought. Every once in a while, they get talking about their future place of rest like they can't wait to get there. I've even seen a few of them standing at their spot on Memeorial Day, staring down at their future abode. That's nuts, asked one of them one time if he and his wife place flowers on their site. Said (typed) all of this to say this, I'm interested in living, not going to worry about what happens to physical things I've accumulated in this world, I'm more interested in another place. Not going to fret daily or be involved in forum threads that IMO are a waste of time and breath thinking/talking about accumulated possessions. Who knows, I may sell some of this and that when I get tired of having to many around, turn the cash into gold and sit and stare at it. While I haven't read many posts here since page 1, this is my thoughts about it, see its turned into a 9 page thesis. (and I did get involved by posting this post, but all I'm saying about it). Have a good day everyone. CC
Being as how I have been a lay minister for close to 60 years, I have helped at and held many funerals, and almost all have been for friends and people that I know. I have seen so many cases of families not being prepared, that I saw to it that we have our own plot in our local cemetery, the stones are there, not very prominent ones, actually pretty low keyed and set up so that the people that take care of the cemetery do not have to contend with something they have to do be careful of, the cremation expenses have been taken care, the urns are purchased and all that's left is either have a church service or graveside or just go put the ashes in the ground, whatever they wish to do. We live in a small community where everybody knows everybody, so regardless of what you do, practically everybody shows up . I saw so many cases where families have spent thousands of dollars trying to do what they thought was right and what their parents would have liked or what the community might think. This way it's done and all our kids have to say is, this is what our folks wanted. If this seems cold hearted, I've held enough funerals to know that we will eventually be there too. Both my wife and I expect to go on home eventually, as we do believe that this isn't our permanent home. With this taken care of, they can get along with whatever they want to do with what is left, as it all will go to them, no strings attached. Why would I wanna put restrictions on what they can do with my firearms, let them do what they think is best.
Squint

Last edited:
I past retirement age. My son lives 2500 miles away in AZ. He never really had interest in firearms. So i have my pistols. 3 BP uberti, and two modern single actions. I really got no one to pass to that will appreciate as much as I love my pistols.
So my morbid question is, what you intend to do with them as you get to old to use them? Sell on GB? Looking for ideas.
I accept donations! :) Seriuosly, though - this is something we all have to think about. Personally, I am just thinning the herd and ensuring what I have left is quality and that I love them. Also, I have a list of guns with serial #'s, or descriptions, appropriate charges and shooting boxes for each to make things easier on the remaining items. My sons enjoy BP some and I will leave the good ones, mostly originals for them.

I can almost picture my step son or who ever gets there hands on my guns in the future.They will more than likely get the muzzleloader or the cool cap and ball revolver to go bang a few times then stick it in a closet not knowing it would need cleaning.Then wonder were the rust came from. Or use plus ammo in the little .38. I suppose I need to get started writing out instructions (does + don'ts) for each firearm. Leave them an "operator's manuel" of sorts.

I'm a former squid. When I go...I'll be going over the side to be with Francis Drake.

I really liked the "Let the volunteer fire department raffle them off". Whoever ends up with them will appreciate them more and the proceeds would help my local community. At least around here, everyone would know the who what when where and why of it.
Only the most rural, conservative departments could do that nowadays, and even then the newspapers would be crowing about it and the whole country would know. I've seen more than one news item where some small department was raffling off an AR or some-such, and it gets into the national newsline.

Only the most rural, conservative departments could do that nowadays, and even then the newspapers would be crowing about it and the whole country would know. I've seen more than one news item where some small department was raffling off an AR or some-such, and it gets into the national newsline.
Yes we are a small town and recently had a gun raffle. It was what you'd call a success.We love to do it again but were told we can only have 1 per year. Is there really such a law?

Well, I already have that settled, my gun, horn, pouch and knife is to be buried with me as well as some other possible that I need in the hereafter
I thought about that too, but I would need a double size casket. The wife already has my two dogs and two cats that have been cremated going with me. Maybe a very large casket is possible ...

My stepson has dibs on all of my firearms and related paraphernalia. Wife is more stressed about what to do with my collection of (tobacco) pipes. Since my request for the disposal of my personal remains entails cremation followed by the ashes being flushed down the toilet while playing the Rolling Stones 'Sympathy for the Devil' as loudly as possible, she can bin everything she doesn't want to keep or sell it all in a garage sale. She claims she will miss me when I am gone, so that is why I have requested to be flushed - she can remember me fondly a couple of times a day while continuing her traditional usage.

Thailand… there are worse places to live out ones days. Beautiful scenery, people, history, beautiful women!

I spent a 2 year posting there in the late 70's, my first wife was Thai and it was good union.

I just returned from 15 days in country and was reminded once again how very different it was from the west with all its self-inflicted destruction.

The rural Thai women are feminine and caring (I'm not categorising Bar girls etc ) having old world traditional values, I'm always comfortable among them. And yes I do have a 32 year old lovely Thai girlfriend living in Nong Khai right on the Mekong river, theyre a respectable family who farm and live comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back