• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To the older guys…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainVane

Colt ‘51 & Remington ‘58 .36; Colt ‘48 .31
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I past retirement age. My son lives 2500 miles away in AZ. He never really had interest in firearms. So i have my pistols. 3 BP uberti, and two modern single actions. I really got no one to pass to that will appreciate as much as I love my pistols.
So my morbid question is, what you intend to do with them as you get to old to use them? Sell on GB? Looking for ideas.

So my morbid question is, what you intend to do with them as you get to old to use them? Sell on GB? Looking for ideas.
So my equally morbid presumption is that you mean before you're dead. Not too far from that myself. Not the dead part, I don't think, anyway ... the other one.

I think I'll just keep them and take them out to be admired and cleaned from time to time, I suppose. Unless and until I reach the point where I really need the money. I'm a good customer at a local mom 'n pop gunsmith/gun shop business and they've already sold a number of guns I didn't want or need on consignment for me, so I suppose I'll mostly go that route. Though I don't know what their expertise is wrt black powder muzzleloaders, so I might revisit that plan.

GB is a real pain in the you-know-what for the seller, unless you intend to get into selling multiple firearms, which these days is going to be pretty sketchy vis-a-vis the ATF if you sell and make a profit on your guns, and if you don't have an FFL, you might find yourself up on a felony charge.

I don't care what happens to them when I'm dead and gone. My estate can have the pleasures of dealing with that. Read: sarcasm.

So I guess base line my answer to your question is find yourself a reputable local gunsmith/gun shop, establish yourself as a repeat customer, and employ them to sell on consignment. If you just try to sell outright to a big-box sporting goods chain or to a pawn shop, you're only likely to realize 50% of current market value, whereas on a consignment you're more likely to realize 80% - 90%, depending on your agent's commission terms.

Last edited:
When I get to that point, I intend to give mine away.

Or donate them to a group who can sell them to raise money to fight for our Second Amendment RIGHTS.

Can't spend dollars when you're pushing up daisies.

My children/family have instructions to place a black powder rifle, powder and projectiles in my coffin before closing the lid on me for the last time.

I past retirement age. My son lives 2500 miles away in AZ. He never really had interest in firearms. So i have my pistols. 3 BP uberti, a modern .44, a modern Ruger .22. All single action. I really got no one to pass to that will appreciate as much as I love my pistols.
I'm older; we sometimes drop in our tracks, I hope to be able to auction them off in my own time, but we never know how our health will go. You are thinking well, and many of us have the very same question!

Unless you need the money I'd keep them as memorabilia. Sometimes it's important to have reminders of our youth and better times as we age. And maybe you will shoot one from time to time. I think with some investigation you can find a group or individuals that will give your guns TLC after you pass. The guns are inanimate and after you are dead...well, you're dead. For me both my daughters like guns. Geez, this is morbid!

Luckily I've been able to get my nieces and nephew into guns. Even more i got them to appreciate classic style of wood and metal. So hopefully they will get good use.
On the sader side, if im to old to use them, I'm to old to be here. No matter what, I'm taking a couple with me. If my family didn't want them I'd put a fair price on them so they wouldn't get screwed. If i had no family, maybe donate somehow that would help the sport.

And for fun, cement one in my headstone with the inscription "ye who pulls gun from stone shall be king". Booby trap my coffin with one for the guy that hears i was buried with guns and wants to rob me🍻.

When I get to that point, I intend to give mine away.

Or donate them to a group who can sell them to raise money to fight for our Second Amendment RIGHTS.

Can't spend dollars when you're pushing up daisies.

My children/family have instructions to place a black powder rifle, powder and projectiles in my coffin before closing the lid on me for the last time.
Great ideas! if my granddaughter doesn’t want them, my local volunteer fire department can always raffle them for funds.

I past retirement age. My son lives 2500 miles away in AZ. He never really had interest in firearms. So i have my pistols. 3 BP uberti, a modern .44, a modern Ruger .22. All single action. I really got no one to pass to that will appreciate as much as I love my pistols.
I have already got rid of all of my best rifles and pistols and kept my worst ones with the exception of my Ithaca Hawkin and a .22 pistols that has been in the family way before I was around.

I have found that my life long collection is starting to get to be a burden. i have slowly been selling some. made up my mind to get rid of most of my hand guns. but lately i have been trading. so far my hand gun collection has increased fourfold with each rifle traded.
my bride will have to deal with them. luckily she was partners with me in our gun shop years ago, so she knows the values.

At 72 and having looked the "Big C" in eye 6 years ago I know where you are coming from. Fortunately with a good doctor and faith I wasn't home when the Grim Reaper stopped by. Me, I'm blessed to have loved ones who will appreciate the ones I leave them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back