• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To the older guys…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons have no interest anymore so I have made a file with all the information on each firearm I own with price paid and I periodically update what I think is the current value as a used firearm. I have a few that I put in my trust that will go to brother and friends, but I told my wife to sell them at a fair price and keep the money. If she precedes me I’ll probably start selling them off as I get older and just keep my favorites. Once I’m gone I guess I won’t worry about it!
I've got a spreadsheet with this info and keep it current like garypl does.
My following two generations show a little interest, but not much.

Best guess is that at some point I'll start selling them at gun shows.
That way I'll have the entertainment value of being the curmudgeon who has some pretty decent items - and telling whatever bottom feeding low-ball offering carpet bagger he/she or it will pay what it's worth.

I past retirement age. My son lives 2500 miles away in AZ. He never really had interest in firearms. So i have my pistols. 3 BP uberti, and two modern single actions. I really got no one to pass to that will appreciate as much as I love my pistols.
So my morbid question is, what you intend to do with them as you get to old to use them? Sell on GB? Looking for ideas.
I’ve dealt with Rock Island Auctions (Illinois) a few times. They take most anything but low end stuff & they get 25%, but they’re fair & have a nationwide following . I’m lucky having only a 3 hour drive there & have been happy dealing with them.

When I get to that point, I intend to give mine away.

Or donate them to a group who can sell them to raise money to fight for our Second Amendment RIGHTS.

Can't spend dollars when you're pushing up daisies.

My children/family have instructions to place a black powder rifle, powder and projectiles in my coffin before closing the lid on me for the last time.
my 5 kids and my son in law were sitting around the table and they were all knocking on each other about who expected what when it comes to my time, well this irritates the hell out of me I was raised that you earn all of your gifts in life , not walking around with your hand out ! when my father asked my 3 "sisters" and I the question what do you kids want ? my sisters fell all over them selves begging for this and that and I never said a thing. dad waited for them to run out of steam and then asked me why I hadn't said any thing and I replied that I didn't want anything but to be not left any bills. So when my 5 were arguing I calmly told them I had written into my will that I was going to be buried my all my guns ! My son in law said " thats ok we'll be using the backhoe the next day !!!!

Neither my kids or my wife have the interest in my collection that I do so in my will my collection with a few exceptions will be going to a firearms auction house. It is already set up, all my wife or kids need to do is make the call. No surprises as it has already been discussed. Considering they really have no idea of the true value I feel this is the best way to get the most value without been taken advantage of.

I past retirement age. My son lives 2500 miles away in AZ. He never really had interest in firearms. So i have my pistols. 3 BP uberti, and two modern single actions. I really got no one to pass to that will appreciate as much as I love my pistols.
So my morbid question is, what you intend to do with them as you get to old to use them? Sell on GB? Looking for ideas.
Right there with you I'm going on 65 the only person that might have cared for my firearms as much as I was my son and he committed suicide 3 yrs ago so now all the firearms I've got including my late father and my grandfathers has nowhere to go the one's I have to leave them to have no idea of their personal value .I've asked friends what to do and they all say the same comment sell them and enjoy the money better me than letting someone who has no idea about the true meaning of owning them.
I past retirement age. My son lives 2500 miles away in AZ. He never really had interest in firearms. So i have my pistols. 3 BP uberti, a modern .44, a modern Ruger .22. All single action. I really got no one to pass to that will appreciate as much as I love my pistols.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who hasn't thought about these things and possibly other stuff that you would like to see go where it's appreciated. I did give my daughters (3) pistols for self-defense, they all wanted one and I did the best I could to give them something they could shoot, which means a small caliber. Gave a left-handed rifle to my left-handed grandson, and I guess the rest of them I will just use until I'm gone and perhaps they will find a good home then.
Squint

Yours is a good question and I may be in a similar situation. I have at least 22 ea. long guns and approximately that many hand guns as well. My son has little interest in firearms, my daughter none and my four grandchildren little to none. Much of that is my fault, for although I took the boys out to shoot once in awhile it was not enough to ingrain in them a love of it. I enjoy my firearms and plan to keep them. When I pass someone else can deal with them. I do have a target range/gun store where I’ve bought several that does estate evaluations and sales and my family knows to get help there.

Last edited:
Excellent thread and thoughts.

I guess I should state now that my kids don’t have any interest in firearms. Or anything else I have, for that matter. So…

Over the years I collected many firearms, with a concentration of M1 Garands and 1903 Springfield rifles. As well as many others.

The M1s and 1903s were recently sold to fully fund an addition to my house. Others are being sold each year through an FFL who lists on Gunbroker, and proceeds are being used to fund trips. This years selling will send us to Spain for a couple weeks. Next year, Italy. Another trip is scheduled for Czech Republic and Germany. Yep, quality guns carefully collected over the years are worth a lot.

My personal goal is to spend the fruits of my hard labor, and not leave a mess for my family to clean up when I’m gone. Household stuff goes to Habitat for Humanity, funds from the sale of the house go to the APL where all my doggies have all come from, and any remaining guns go to the FFL to sell, proceeds go to my daughter. Any remaining retirement money goes to the kids equally.

My own thoughts - don’t gamble with what will happen to your prized possessions. Pass them on - with financial gain to you - to others who will be caretakers of those fine firearms. Just as you are a good steward of your collection. My beautiful M1s and 1903s are now cared for in fine collections. I take great pride in that. The others will find similar homes. And I get great experiences from the money I receive from their sale.

My $0.02.

I was blessed being born and raised in a gun friendly family and community. And being mechanically inclined was fixing friends guns at the age of nine. My wife and two sons hunted. My grandson hunts and granddaughter shoots. But the only one that knows how to load a black powder gun is my 20 year old grandson. So now its common knowledge they will go to him. That's including everything that goes with them and gunsmith tools. I have about 20 black powder guns, mostly revolvers. 2 modern cartridge. One I carry and one old SxS. Not including 7 that have been converted into unmentionables.
Don't worry about what you're going to leave your kids or anyone for that matter, enjoy what time you have left NOW

You need an apprentice!
Get out to the range if you still can and there's always a guy who's very interested. If you can hook the guy to love this stuff as much as we do, then leave him the guns when you go.

Excellent thread and thoughts.

I guess I should state now that my kids don’t have any interest in firearms. Or anything else I have, for that matter. So…

Over the years I collected many firearms, with a concentration of M1 Garands and 1903 Springfield rifles. As well as many others.

The M1s and 1903s were recently sold to fully fund an addition to my house. Others are being sold each year through an FFL who lists on Gunbroker, and proceeds are being used to fund trips. This years selling will send us to Spain for a couple weeks. Next year, Italy. Another trip is scheduled for Czech Republic and Germany. Yep, quality guns carefully collected over the years are worth a lot.

My personal goal is to spend the fruits of my hard labor, and not leave a mess for my family to clean up when I’m gone. Household stuff goes to Habitat for Humanity, funds from the sale of the house go to the APL where all my doggies have all come from, and any remaining guns go to the FFL to sell, proceeds go to my daughter. Any remaining retirement money goes to the kids equally.

My own thoughts - don’t gamble with what will happen to your prized possessions. Pass them on - with financial gain to you - to others who will be caretakers of those fine firearms. Just as you are a good steward of your collection. My beautiful M1s and 1903s are now cared for in fine collections. I take great pride in that. The others will find similar homes. And I get great experiences from the money I receive from their sale.

My $0.02.
Great post. I will enjoy mine a while longer then on to the gunshop on consignment for somebody else to enjoy. The funds will pay bills and other stuff. Every day of life is a gift from God, enjoy it and thank him, I do every morning when I awake.

The inevitability of death is very difficult for some people. Holding on to "things" can be a way to cope with the anxiety involved. It can also serve as a connection to fond memories of the past. For me, as arthritis creeps in and limits my abilities, those memories of what I used to do are not so good. It just depends on the individual.

I sold most of my unmentionable guns at an auction about 18 months ago. Will probably start selling some muzzleloaders soon as well. I'm not that old at 56, but out of the blue 2 years ago, I had a stroke. Death doesn't really frighten me, being incapacitated from another stroke and becoming a burden to my family bothers me. My will is set, as well as a DNR document and healthcare proxy. My remaining guns are of no interest to either of my sons, except the dollar value they represent. Eventually all things must be let go of.

One of my closest friends is 80, with significant arthritis and a heart condition. Can't do much. Has a vast gun collection, as well as old hit n miss engines, antique tractors, pulling tractors and other things. He cant bring himself to part with anything, as if doing so is resigning himself to dying.

I go with him several times each hunting season to sit in the blind with him to maybe get a deer. He can't gut one or get it in the truck and wife won't let him go alone. We've had many discussions in the blind and on the trips there about getting rid of stuff. He can't do it. He doesn't want his stepson to get anything, assuming the lad ever gets out of prison, but my friend is leaving his wife one hell of a mess to deal with.

He did instruct her to get together with me upon his death and get all of his guns to a nearby auction house. Unfortunately, I think it's easier for her to contact the local gun shop and get an instant resolution/check for pennies on the dollar.

People are different, we all have the same result coming, we just don't know when, and we deal with it differently.

I'd be lookin' to cultivate an interest in my grand daughter or grandson.

LD

At this time in my life, I'm 76 and hoping for 80 as my dad lived to that age, (though he was in much better health than I) when contemplating my own mortality, I too worry about who will get my guns and such, having no family to leave the to. Recently, I broached the matter with my V.A. counselor, my being a disabled veteran and all. He, my V.A, counselor, has admired my weapons, so I thought that he would be a worthy recipient when I finally bit the dust. I suppose too, he'll get my coin, currency, and pocket watch collection. In the meantime, I plan on enjoying them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back