• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

thoughts on making an SxS shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatoneguy82

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a few sets of nice breech loading SxS barrels and I've been plotting to stub one from the breech and thread/ breech it and was curious if anyone else has attempted this before? I also have a barn found percussion SxS barrel I thought I'd try getting apart to compare.
I'm sure there are more profitable projects to under take but what fun is that.

W.R. Brockway's book Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzle-Loading Shotgun would be a good place to start. Try TOW.
There were some excellent posts here on the subject a couple years ago, if you can find them. Hopefully, someone will be able to post the links.
I've been on the lookout for a nice set of barrels myself, had the same project in mind.
Paul

Bill Brockway's book is the one you want. I purchased this SXS barrel a while back from a person who did the chamber threading with the intent on making a "coach gun" but I never got around to it. I'll sell them to you if you are interested - PM me and I'll give you the details.

One problem with cartridge type shotgun barrels is they have a forcing cone chamber to deal with.

Jerry you are right. I have seen where some barrel "converters", cut the chamber area off, then thread for long breeches. This way you get that "flare" removed from the breech of the barrels and can make the locks fit much closer together. You can also make these new and long breeches long enough to get your barrel length back. Using a Nock type of venting allows the locks to get even better geometry. JMHO. I have a set of barrels made this way and they are very nice. The down side us even though these barrels I have, have beautiful Damascus, carefully finishing of the barrels and breeches are needed to get good match. Put they are beautiful.

I had a set of Damascus barrels that had plugs made to match the forcing cones. The man who did it made a cast of the chambers with cerosafe. Then he machined the breech plugs to match the chambers. There was one problem. The powder chambers were smaller than the bores and so when loading the shooter had to be careful not to under load the gun or else there would be a air space between the shot and the powder charge. So there was a minimum charge. As long as the gun was not under loaded it would be fine. This saved the barrel length.I have seen some fake Damascus that was fantastic but haven't figured it out to my satisfaction yet.

Jerry, you are correct on the amount of powder. My one PR. of barrels needs 1 1/2 dram to fill the chamber. For me( of course it could be a problem for someone) it just is not a problem on the 16ga. Ithaca Flues barrels I am using. These are very nice Damascus barrels.

Latest posts

Back