• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

therifleshoppe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a business that uses the same business model. If you order alot from him, you are at the top of the list. He calls you when he has new product in. If you don't order alot from him, you go to the buttom of the list. If he has no product, he will not answer the phone. If you keep calling, he get's upset. This is your local crack dealer. LOL

While I am not familiar with your, or any, crack dealer I would ask you not to try to corrupt the meaning of what I very clearly wrote.

I know you insist (or at least want to argue) you're personally as important to every business as their best, most important, customer. But if you're not, you're not, and I've already described some such folk above. That's just reality, one from which we all benefit by the way.

If anyone truly believes that ANY business treats ALL of their customers the same, regardless of what you want and despite what they tell you, you are deluding yourself. That includes Flytrout's free-market, entrepeneurial, undocumented pharmacist...

Alden said:
Just wanna say I wasn't criticizing you Lord Stirling,

Alden
I did not think that you were, although you do have my permission to do so if you feel the need.

“Lord Stirling”
So you look me up did you?

Most services businesses prioritize their customers, I do

I am not prioritized, or special with them. They called me because they know I may buy from them. That is just good business.

Also they call because I am an easy customer; I have use for what they sell

They called me on my cell phone while I was on the road so I could not hear them well as to what
they had gotten in, but I think that it maybe was things I had asked about so I said sent it
I won’t know what is coming till it gets here and that’s fine with me.

:pop:
Per mare, per terras
William Alexander

Didn't have to look you up -- I am a student of history. I assure you, though there's alot of posturing, few here even know what the biggest battle of the American Revolution was...

Now, newspaper delivery boys treat different customers differently! But the "I'm as important as everyone else" guys really think they're the special ones because, well, they want to be. It is surprising to me (not being from the party of the Left).

And I'll bet you could count on a few pages the number of customers on Jesse's short list to call, like you. You are breathing rarified air indeed.

From TRS? :shocked2: Really? With the wait times I have read about above I would not order a grab bag (you didn't pay for the unknown yet did you?)

The business model I learned in college and the company I retired from was to treat every customer the same, even if you spend 1 dollar or millions. You never put one customer ahead of another. Yes you gave perks to the best customers. All discounts went to everyone. All orders and phone calls where handle in the order they came in, no-one was special. Even the company that spend 225 mil a year got no special treatment. When that company demand more over the others we drop their contract for that and other reasons. It's best to spend more time to get that one time customer into a multi time customer, then to wipe your best customers butt. The company I work for was in business for 80 years before it was sold. I retired at 43 years old and never have to work again. All because of this type of business model and their great customer service.

azmntman said:

From TRS? :shocked2: Really? With the wait times I have read about above I would not order a grab bag (you didn't pay for the unknown yet did you?)

I thought that the “I won’t know what I ordered till it gets here” might have gotten more response.

When they called they said they had some new stuff in. That is stuff on hand to me.
They called me late Friday which is the day they only ship out stuff per week.
So they most likely did not ship it then, end of the day you know.
Maybe they close for the x-mas holidays, won’t be open till the first?

When I order from them it takes 2 to 5 weeks to get it to me if they have it on hand.
I mostly only order thing that they have on hand and I don’t care what it is.
If I am looking for something in particular, if they have some of it I will get it.
I will just make whatever they are out of.
Somethings I will backorder. I’m backed up farther than most anything from TRS

They don’t charge till they ship.

Look on their web page; find something you like and IF they say that they have it on
hand order it and see for yourself.

If they don’t have it on hand their dates that they say they will get it is overly optimistic.

Most of the people who bad mouth them have never done any business with them.
Some have had bad luck with them, order what is on hand.
Their stuff is not for the inexperienced

Merry Christmas

William Alexander

My friend and I have use 3d printing/scanning and have made a few luger part casting's from the plastic we printed off parts as molds. It was not bad. We scan the broken part and then took the program it made and printed it. We used the plastic part as the mold in sand and casted it. Take forever, but it worked. Still had to do some filing. The parts worked great. Printers and scanners are selling for around 600 and less now on feebay. So for the one broken part we glue it back and the other we had to add some metalset (metal bondo)to get the shape. Our little foundry we made off youtube for about 200 dollars. I can't think of a better way to make these old arms than the way they where back than, casting your own parts for pennies on the dollar. Yes it takes all day, but you made it yourself and you have it now, not a few years from now. It's only a matter of time before someone starts scanning parts to sell the program or upload on the internet.

flytrout said:
..................... We used the plastic part as the mold in sand and casted it. Take forever, but it worked. Still had to do some filing. ..............

Sand casting? You bet you'll do "some filing". With crude sand castings, you'll do a LOT of filing, good thing you retired at 43, you'll need the extra time. Maybe time to learn a new business model?

Best to stick with quality wax casting from someone that knows what they are doing (like TRS or a multitude of others), the extra effort from a home basement casting operation is not worth it at all.

Casting has been around since 3000BC. Good thing our (or at less mine) forefathers did sand casting of firearms parts or we would not have the freedom today or the firearms from the past. I have been doing green sand casting for years and prefer to take the pride of making my parts as they where made back then. As far as I know investment casting was not back in the 1500's. But some cannot or have the time to do this and I can understand that and respect that. Yes in retirement gives me the two days needed to cast and fit my parts. I only order parts that I have no molds for. I have casted gun parts to mini jet engine parts. I understand that I have a Aerospace degree and a lot of people don't have the technical know how. It is great that TRS offers these parts, I just wish they could keep up with demand.

Tinker2 said:
azmntman said:

I thought that the “I won’t know what I ordered till it gets here” might have gotten more response.

When they called they said they had some new stuff in. That is stuff on hand to me.
They called me late Friday which is the day they only ship out stuff per week.
So they most likely did not ship it then, end of the day you know.
Maybe they close for the x-mas holidays, won’t be open till the first?

When I order from them it takes 2 to 5 weeks to get it to me if they have it on hand.

Merry Christmas

William Alexander

That's Lazy as **** to only ship out on Fridays :idunno: :shake: and it takes you 2 to 5 weeks to get it even when they have it in stock? That's just lame, lousy and lazy. I'm glad I don't have to rely on them for parts.

armakiller said:
That's Lazy as **** to only ship out on Fridays :idunno: :shake: and it takes you 2 to 5 weeks to get it even when they have it in stock? That's just lame, lousy and lazy. I'm glad I don't have to rely on them for parts.
Apparently, TRS and their customers think alike and are birds of a feather.

TRS has found their perfect customers and they deserve each other. All's well with both parties. We should be happy that they have found each other. :thumbsup:

Well, without making any assumptions or having anything but reasonable expectations, this past summer I'd contacted the Rifle Shoppe about a fowler kit . I was told all parts were in stock and that it would take about 10 days extra days to build the lock if I wanted that done. They also recommended a talented and reasonably priced builder, Larry Cruise of Nebraska, and offered to ship the kit directly to him. I bit. About 2-3 weeks after that call, Larry had the kit and completed lock. The fowler was built by him--and perfectly so--within the time he said it would be. Larry recommended that I get an extra tumbler and sear just in case (this is a lateral sear doglock-parts are not otherwise readily available). I called TRS and ordered the two parts on a Thurs and they arrived that Monday. Maybe it's because I went with a bullder they like, I don't know for sure, but I can tell you the experience I had was absolutely perfect.

Smollett

Eleven pages - 253 replies. Has'nt this topic been overdone? Come on man! Enough already!.

flytrout said:
Casting has been around since 3000BC. Good thing our (or at less mine) forefathers did sand casting of firearms parts or we would not have the freedom today or the firearms from the past. I have been doing green sand casting for years and prefer to take the pride of making my parts as they where made back then. As far as I know investment casting was not back in the 1500's. But some cannot or have the time to do this and I can understand that and respect that. Yes in retirement gives me the two days needed to cast and fit my parts. I only order parts that I have no molds for. I have casted gun parts to mini jet engine parts. I understand that I have a Aerospace degree and a lot of people don't have the technical know how. It is great that TRS offers these parts, I just wish they could keep up with demand.

Of course sand casting has been around for over 3,000 years but keep in mind that investment casting has been around for at least that long as well. Examples of investment casting are known from ancient Egypt and the Mayan culture and others in Asia as well as Africa. The advantage to investment casting? They are as follows:

1 - Dimensional accuracy is far higher than in sand casting.

2 - Detail that can not be achieved with sand casting. More intricate patterns can be cast with investment casting than sand casting.

3 - Smoother surfaces, you don't have to spend as much time in finish work especially with the detailed castings possible from the investment casting process.

4 - Any metal or alloy of those metals can be investment cast with the above advantages.

Are there disadvantages to wax casting? Of course, it is more expensive and requires training not available in a small shop and sand casting is much easier to set up and use but that is about it. Sand casting is fine for gun furniture such as butt plates, butt caps and trigger guards.

However, sand casting is not acceptable for cast parts that are used under heavy stress. As a general rule, it is not now nor has it ever been acceptable for stressed parts like tumblers, sears, springs or gun breeches - far to many flaws - often hidden - are found in sand casting to guarantee effectiveness with these parts. The grain structure of sand cast parts is too course to be used for stressed parts and too many potential flaws that are not visible happen, often showing up in hardening and tempering or, if they make it past those phases, in actual use.

In the days before investment casting became more commonly used (the late 19th Century), stressed parts were forged, not cast. This was well withing the abilities of any gun maker or gunsmith, not only in large concerns like national armories and other major manufacturers but in small shops, even on the frontier here in America or in small out of the way facilities in Europe, Asia and Africa as well as South and Central America. Forged parts were easier to anneal, temper and harden as well.

Your "Aerospace degree" has an advantage over mine and I respect you for it, but you need to do research and study in history and art as well as business and manufacturing to get a better background in what was done in the past.

“I'm glad I don't have to rely on them for parts.”

Please do tell us who you do get those types of parts from. :hmm:

William Alexander

2015 New Year Prediction

Ambitious Armakiller and degreed Flytrout will pool their business knowledge, contacts, and experience as well as professional skills and positive customer attitude with their financial resources to take over or step in and up to fill the vacuum TRS has left in the art and science because it is just that easy. Low-hanging, ripe, fruit waiting to be swept up into their insightful care.

Oh yes, you'll see: black-powder shooting men will want to be them, women will want to be with them, and the other way 'round too. Someday we'll all say "I remember those mavericks writing on the internet, bucking the system, back before it became world famous institution The ArmaTrout & FlyKiller Rifle Shoppe Ltd. ..."

“Hi Jack!
Gee I was hoping you would say something I could argue with”

Jack

Your right again, I don’t know how you do it. :bow:

“Apparently, TRS and their customers think alike and are birds of a feather.

TRS has found their perfect customers and they deserve each other. All's well with both parties. We should be happy that they have found each other. ”

You are so right; your insight is amazing to me. :thumbsup:

TRS was never set up for the average, what did Alden call them “bumpkin”

It pleases me that you agree with me on this.
I use to think that you might be a bit negative in some ways but I was wrong. :hatsoff:

William Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back