• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken Rifle barrel/caliber swaps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sound Tribe

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello

I am wondering for some info about TC Hawken (and hawken style guns in general)

So, I am in the market for a percussion rifle with a 36cal (or smaller) barrel that isn't too long. My state has some muzzleloader hunting restrictions for small game and for deer hunting. For small game you need to use 36 caliber or lower and for deer you need 45 caliber or higher.

So, if I buy a TC Hawken 50cal for example and then I find a 36cal TC barrel, would it fit as an easy drop in swap? (or vice versa) And if so, does it have to be a Hawken specific barrel or can it be a barrel from a Cherokee or Seneca for example.

By the way, only talking about percussion rifles. Also I'm wondering about the interchangeability between brands, in another thread someone said a TC hawken barrel could fit in an Investarms Hawken.

Any info would be great, or pointing me in the right direction for any rifle, Hawken style or not, with 36cal (or smaller)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, but I'm not too worried about that I can always use a rangerod. I just wanted to see where to source a drop in barrel these days, other than ebay, and to make sure the right dimensions etc will work out for the right guns

I assume the Investarms Hawken that comes in .36cal, and has a .50cal barrel option would be a good choice available at muzzle-loaders.com but both are out of stock right now

I’m dealing with the same CT issue, my plan is to just find a .36 at some point.

I have never tried swapping parts in muzzloaders, with modern stuff I always need to check the zero, I would probably have the same thing with a muzzleloader.

I’m dealing with the same CT issue, my plan is to just find a .36 at some point.

I have never tried swapping parts in muzzloaders, with modern stuff I always need to check the zero, I would probably have the same thing with a muzzleloader.
Yeah that is a good point. And with the price of barrels, it seems getting 2 rifles might just be the better option anyways and I hear the Green mountain barrels need to be worked on to fit, and aren't drop in.

Hoping that .36cal Investarms Hawken comes on sale soon, or I can find a TC Cherokee/Seneca for sale for a decent price. The Traditions Crockett .32 isn't a bad backup plan, but it's kind of long for my style, 49" overall.

There was a .36 cal Green Mountain drop in for a TC Hawken on either Gun Broker or Ebay the other day. Given that the seller wanted over 800 bucks for it I'd imagine it's still available. The .36 caliber barrels are the rarer ones for the Senecas and Cherokees but they do pop up from time to time and fetch a premium. Just my humble opine. Buy what's available now that you like and save up while you look for the dream rifle.

T/C Hawken rifles in calibers up to 50 are 15/16" across the flats. Cherokee and Seneca barrels are13/16" across the flats. So, Cherokee and Seneca barrels are not interchangeable in a T/C Hawken. T/C Renegade rifles use a 1" across the flats barrel. Also not interchangeable. Some InvestArms barrels that are 15/16" across the flats are close to fitting, but not always perfectly interchangeable.

T/C Hawken rifles in calibers up to 50 are 15/16" across the flats. Cherokee and Seneca barrels are13/16" across the flats. So, Cherokee and Seneca barrels are not interchangeable in a T/C Hawken. T/C Renegade rifles use a 1" across the flats barrel. Also not interchangeable. Some InvestArms barrels that are 15/16" across the flats are close to fitting, but not always perfectly interchangeable.
Thanks. Basically the info I needed confirmed. The TC 50cal Hawken barrel in question is 28" long and is 15/16"

Can you tell me, are the Cherokee and Seneca barrels interchangeable with eachother then? For example, if I buy a 45cal Seneca, will a 36cal Cherokee barrel be a drop in change , even though it's supposed to be a shorter length?

It's early in the week. There are some dedicated S and C fans on here. Might take them a bit to see this but they'll eventually flood you with the info you seek and then some if you want. Might also holler at @Ohio Rusty, he mentioned finding some for sale on another forum but you'll have to PM him about it. I own a Cherokee with .45 and .32 barrels but have never seen a Senaca in person so I can't help anymore. Good luck in your search.

Not sure which direction you are thinking but if a TC Hawken with a second barrel is a solid option Rice Barrel Company still makes drop ins for them and they aren't much different in price than a used TC one. Def better quality and new.

Thompson Center Hawken Drop-In Barrels – 1.20″, 1.24″, 1.48″ Square Riflied - Rice Barrel Company Home
I had been looking into them and a 36cal 28" for a TC Hawken is 350$ (probably cheaper than most barrels I'll find anyway) but a 4-6month wait.
At least I know it is doable for a TC though. Thanks

Last edited:
Can I ask, what are the differences between the Green Mountain and Rice barrels anyways?
Green Mountain made drop in barrels for TC. They are high quality and were affordable, the ones I've had I'd say were better than TC factory barrels wish I still had them. With the demise of TC they have since ceased production and now when you find them, they are stinking expensive, way more so than they should be. Rice barrels are top shelf, should probably cost more than they do. One more thought. I think the Rice barrels come in the white or at least the ones I've seen and handled came that way.

I have a Green mountain .40 cal for my TC Hawken it was tight where it hooks into tang 1st time or two I put it on but no fitting was necessary.
I have no idea what it would cost,but others could probably answer.
Would it be cheaper to find a barrel that has bad bore and get it sleeved to .36 cal ? Then finding a good .36 cal?

It's possible to find .32 and .36 barrels for a Hawken or Renegade but they will be custom. And heavy. A .54 Renegade barrel is lighter than a .50, 1-inch flats but less metal as more is bored out, and so on. I have seen some .32s for both models pop up for sale on various sites/forums, even as recent as this week. You need to dig and watch daily. For what you see priced just for a barrel, for a little more you might be better off buying an intact rifle, if you have the time and patience to wait and watch.

Seneca and Cherokee barrels are the same width dimension at 13/16, but are not the same length. I have a Cherokee in .32 and would defer to someone who owns both to say if they can be swapped and what the issues may be. I think the foremost issue would be with the under rib on the Seneca being too long to fit a Cherokee stock... not sure, maybe it's the other way around.

I had a complete spreadsheet of all TC models and dimensions and their inter-changeability and now I can't find it. With a little more digging you can put together your own based on confirmed information from various forums. If I ever find my chart, I'll post it.

From memory and other notes I do have, FACTORY original calibers and measurements across the flats...
Hawkin .45 and .50 are 15/16
Hawkin .54 is 1-inch - I do not believe this will work in a Renegade as the barrel wedge and under rib will not match the Renegade stock.
Renegade .50 and .54 are 1-inch
PA Hunter and White Mountain .50 and I think WM had a .54 are 15/16 and stock/barrel compatible; Hawkin barrels might fit these but I do not believe these will fit the Hawken stock.
Big Bore .58 is 1-inch and should fit a Renegade stock
Cherokee .32 and .45 are 13/16
Seneca .36 and .45 are 13/16

Two barrel sources, Rice was posted above, you can poke around and at least price shop as a starting point. Others here know far more than me about other custom options:
https://ricebarrels.com/https://thegunworks.com/product-cat...parts/barrels/oregon-barrel-co-drop-in-rifle/

It's possible to find .32 and .36 barrels for a Hawken or Renegade but they will be custom. And heavy. A .54 Renegade barrel is lighter than a .50, 1-inch flats but less metal as more is bored out, and so on. I have seen some .32s for both models pop up for sale on various sites/forums, even as recent as this week. You need to dig and watch daily. For what you see priced just for a barrel, for a little more you might be better off buying an intact rifle, if you have the time and patience to wait and watch.

Seneca and Cherokee barrels are the same width dimension at 13/16, but are not the same length. I have a Cherokee in .32 and would defer to someone who owns both to say if they can be swapped and what the issues may be. I think the foremost issue would be with the under rib on the Seneca being too long to fit a Cherokee stock... not sure, maybe it's the other way around.

I had a complete spreadsheet of all TC models and dimensions and their inter-changeability and now I can't find it. With a little more digging you can put together your own based on confirmed information from various forums. If I ever find my chart, I'll post it.

From memory and other notes I do have, FACTORY original calibers and measurements across the flats...
Hawkin .54 is 1-inch - I do not believe this will work in a Renegade as the barrel wedge and under rib will not match the Renegade stock.
PA Hunter and White Mountain .50 and I think WM had a .54 are 15/16 and stock/barrel compatible; Hawkin barrels might fit these but I do not believe these will fit the Hawken stock.

Two barrel sources, Rice was posted above, you can poke around and at least price shop as a starting point. Others here know far more than me about other custom options:
https://ricebarrels.com/https://thegunworks.com/product-cat...parts/barrels/oregon-barrel-co-drop-in-rifle/
A 54 Cal Hawkens is 1" as is the Renegade 50 or 54 Caliber. Both Renegade and TC Hawken 1" barrels will interchange on either platform as long as both stock and barrel are 1" I have a 50 cal Renegade barrel on TC Hawken that was a 54 with rusted bore. Easy as pulling pin and swapping barrels. Also have a 1" GM 45 cal barrel as well and it drops right in.

Hey there, I have a Cherokee in 45cal, and bought a 32cal Cherokee barrel for it that drops right in.
Later I picked up a Seneca 36cal barrel. It drops into the Cherokee stock and I can use it. They're both
13/16s" across the flats but the stocks are a different length from the hook tang to the end of the barrel.
The Seneca stock is about 1" longer than the Cherokee stock so there is about a 1" gap between the
under rib of a Seneca barrel and the stock of a Cherokee, no big deal. But under rib of a Cherokee
barrel will not fit a Seneca stock unless you shorten the rib.

Thank you everyone for the info/replies!! Much appreciated. I've gotten pretty much the answers I need now. I will be better off sticking to the Cherokee/Seneca models over the Hawkens I think. I am going to keep an eye out for a TC with a 36cal or 32cal setup, as that is the main goal. Adding a 45 or 50cal barrel later will be easier than doing it the other way, and if not, finding a nice 50cal or so rifle isn't too bad.

And those Investarms Hawken .36cal still look great too, but who knows when I'll find one.

If any of you with these guns are have no use for them, my inbox is always open :thumb:

This is very useful. I can't thank you enough for the info I hadn't heard about the Oregon Barrel Co.

Also, I do own a TC White Mountain Carbine, I was told they even make a drop in smoothbore 12gauge barrel for it? That would be interesting.

I wonder if they also have a 36 or 32cal barrel. I was planning to trade/sell it as I prefer having a set trigger and the more flashy brass of the other TC models, but it's still a great little gun. I haven't checked if mine is a 1:20 or 1:28 or 1:38 twist yet (I hear they vary depending on the year) but I do know that it prefers conicals, usually a Lee 360grain Minie Ball the most.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to turn that into a pure 36/32cal small game rifle, especially due to the size (.50cal barrel is only 22") and then I could always find a nice TC Hawken in .45 or .50, I've seen a few in just the past couple days now.

Latest posts

Back