• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who makes a Hawken style rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Banjoman ,

Are you thinking strictly of production made guns, or custom rifles, too? Are you interested in something that is historically correct? John Bergmann and Brant Selb are both active custom builders. I understand Mr. Selb has a backlog of several years, but John has built two rifles and a pistol for me with wait times (if I remember correctly) of 12-18 months, which is pretty good for a custom builder. Also, I believe the Hawken Shop is now working with some builders to provide customers with finished rifles that are as authentic as you can get.

There has been a rumor that Jim Kibler has a Hawken kit in the works, but as far as I know it hasn't been confirmed.

There are builders out there, but you have to hunt for them.

Notchy Bob

@Banjoman ,

Are you thinking strictly of production made guns, or custom rifles, too? Are you interested in something that is historically correct? John Bergmann and Brant Selb are both active custom builders. I understand Mr. Selb has a backlog of several years, but John has built two rifles and a pistol for me with wait times (if I remember correctly) of 12-18 months, which is pretty good for a custom builder. Also, I believe the Hawken Shop is now working with some builders to provide customers with finished rifles that are as authentic as you can get.

There has been a rumor that Jim Kibler has a Hawken kit in the works, but as far as I know it hasn't been confirmed.

There are builders out there, but you have to hunt for them.

Notchy Bob
Good info! Thanks!

Yes, that trade gun would be excellent and I have looked at it online. I may go that route. Was just wondering if there were any builders of half stock percussion/trade rifle/plains rifle/Hawken style rifles that I had overlooked. I found a couple guys who used to make them but are no longer doing so.

Thanks
The Hawken Shop is offering the S. Hawken Classic Plains Rifle in kit form.

I think Investarms has the Gemmer Hawken that is Factory made. I guess its a toss up on those 3 with Traditions n Pedersorry thrown in. You may get a decent one from the 3 if you don't go the kit route. All bets are off if going kit. I would at that point visit pawn shops of events to find a decent used one.
Pedersorry?

I take it that you have ordered parts from Elisa, then?
Oh, yes, you have!

Yes, that trade gun would be excellent and I have looked at it online. I may go that route. Was just wondering if there were any builders of half stock percussion/trade rifle/plains rifle/Hawken style rifles that I had overlooked. I found a couple guys who used to make them but are no longer doing so.

Thanks
[/QU

Thanks
Hello sir, if interested In a custom Hawken I have this one I finished last summer that I was thinking of selling. Also now that I'm recently retired I've been ramping up my gun building. I've been building off and on for the last 25 or so yrs and have made several Hawkens. I also have several pics of this rifle under the photo section of this forum. If interested in a custom build send me a pm.

Attachments

• 20230716_094414.jpg
    20230716_094414.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Hello sir, if interested In a custom Hawken I have this one I finished last summer that I was thinking of selling. Also now that I'm recently retired I've been ramping up my gun building. I've been building off and on for the last 25 or so yrs and have made several Hawkens. I also have several pics of this rifle under the photo section of this forum. If interested in a custom build send me a pm.
I really like that rifle, @scotti . It has very nice lines, and wood to metal fit looks super. The coloration and finish of wood and metal is outstanding.

I don't know who you are, but I'm glad to hear you are ramping up your rifle building! Great to have another builder out there, for those of us who don't have the skills ourselves.

I saw the other thread with additional photos of this rifle. I apologize if it is intruding, but in case other forum members missed it, here is a link to his other thread with more pictures: scotti's Hawken rifle

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I really like that rifle, @scotti . It has very nice lines, and wood to metal fit looks super. The coloration and finish of wood and metal is outstanding.

I don't know who you are, but I'm glad to hear you are ramping up your rifle building! Great to have another builder out there, for those of us who don't have the skills ourselves.

I saw the other thread with additional photos of this rifle. I apologize if it is intruding, but in case other forum members missed it, here is a link to his other thread with more pictures: scotti's Hawken rifle

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks Bob

Thanks Scotti! That’s an awesome rifle and I appreciate the offer. However, I am just window shopping right now and was wondering who was building these type of rifles. Great to learn that you are.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks Bob! Somehow I missed that thread (just like I do targets sometimes)😃

A year and a half ago I ordered a Trade rifle from TOTW and just Monday received notification it was in stock. Bought a Dixie Hawken while waiting. Boss says no more!😭

Is Traditions still making a hawken style rifle?
I have an old Thompson Center .54 caliber hawken style rifle . One of T.C's first with a serial number of 1501 . My rifle does not have a brass forearm cap like many of the newer models have.The stock is finished with boiled linseed oil ( I like the soft look linseed oil imparts on old wood ) and has a line of brass tacks around the butt and forearm, native American type adornment
I shoot my own cast ball. Accuracy using any conical bullet , including sabot projectiles, falls way off.
Whatever you choose , I hope it serves you well.
steak

The gun I have a question about would be a Hawken style or plains rifle. A half stock percussion gun. My internet search only shows me new guns by Traditions or Pedersoli. I haven’t found anybody else who currently makes one. I am aware of used guns like TC, Lymans and Investarms but is anyone building new ones?

Thanks
The Hawken Shoppe

Back