• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swabbing in between shots??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem Child

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the best way to swab the barrel between shots? Do you use a cleaning jag or something else? Spit patch? Swab all the way to the breech or not?

Either a spit patch when hunting or a light squirt of water with a spray bottle at the range. Usually when using the squirt bottle I get the patch wetter and follow it with a dry patch. It's not 100% necessary, but the powder doesn't stick to the bore as bad if you run a dry patch in. I always wipe all the way to the breech.

If I need a quick second shot I don't bother.

I use my ramrod tip ( a combination ramming tip with correct radius and cleanning jag. ) spit or in cold weather alcohol DAMPENED patch. I have my ramrod measured for "finger spacing " so that I stay about one inch from the breech for swabbing to prevent "pushing" the fouling into the vent hole/flash channel.

I very rarely do it but if I am in a silhouette match where I'm shooting a lot of heavy loads I will run a spit moistened and then a dry patch down the barrel between target sets.

I keep a worm that is wrapped with tow in the patchbox of my rifles. If I need to wipe, which is rare, I use this to give a quick wipe down the bore.

The whole idea behind "swabbing" is to maintain a consistant bore condition every shot. So every swab MUST be the same each time or the porpose is defeted, and you won't see any gainfull results from random swabbing.
I keep a cleaning jag permenatly attached to my rod, I like the cupped design so I can use it for seating. I use 100% cotton store bought .22 cal cleaning patches, they are all the same size (big enough for .54) and affordable by quantity in the bag.
Saturate one with spit, press against the roof of mouth with tounge too maintain same amount of "wet", one stroke all the way down and back, toss the patch.
Oh ya, I always make a "fouling" shot befroe a target session. Hunting is different,,but I still hunt with a bore that is not fully clean.
others milage may very, but I usually win enough each season to more than pay for more patches. :thumbsup:

I solved the question of when and what to swab with when I honed my bore and started using leather over powder wads. I honed my bore using three diferent grades of valve lapping compound on tight fitting patches, Thus removes any tooling marks and slicks up the bore. I make the leather wads usiing 5 oz leather and soaking them in Ballistol. I also use Ballistol on my patches and the need for swabbing between shots went away. Now, I can shoot as many as 50 shots (maybe more but I haven't tried more than 50) and the last ball seated as easily as the first. When I was through shooting for the day, clean-up was a snap. There was almost no fouling in the bore to be washed out. A quick flush with soapy water and the bore was clean as a hound's tooth. :thumbsup:

Free info that's worth every penny of it. :haha:

If you stop to think about it your dampened lrather over powder wad is "power swabing " every shot. So you are in effect shooting with one fouling shot and swabbing between shots!

i would recommend that you read Dutch Scoultz' treatise on this; what he says not only makes sense, it really does work.

go make good smoke!

I use a cleaning rod with a patch loop on it and swab wih windex between shots. takes just a few seconds and makes loading much easier!

Thats why I do it, I use a thick patch most of the time, depending on the gun I'm using. Makes it easier for the next load to load is all.

Necchi’s”¦.right on target!

“The whole idea behind "swabbing" is to maintain a consistant bore condition every shot. So every swab MUST be the same each time or the porpose is defeted, and you won't see any gainfull results from random swabbing.”

It’s excellent advice that I follow religiously.

Have never swabbed between shots and the accuracy of my .45 cal. squirrel LR doesn't vary after many shots. In a day of squirrel hunting, I possibly clean the bore once by wire brushing followed by swabbing w/ water and this is done only when the PRB is hard to push. Of course the loads are only 30 grs of 3f which doesn't produce a lot of fouling. Whatever makes sense to the individual or what one requires for peace of mind, is the way to go.....Fred

Like Flehto,
I seldom swab, unless it starts to get harder to load. I have found that when shooting at gongs or game, any loss of accuracy was neglegible to me. Of course, When shooting at the mark, One might want every advantage.
If i do need to swab, I will use a section of dry tow on a lanyard to do it PC. Or if PC is not a factor... A dry bore mop on my wipeing stick works very well.
I will try not to introduce any moisture to the bore unless absolutly nessasary. This method has served me well for many years. :wink:

I have a question about swabbing between shots. I know that this thread is nearly two months old at this point but rather than start a new thread I thought to ask the question here.
If you are shooting at a range, why not swab between every shot? I do - with an alcohol patch - but I realize that lots of shooters don't. Is it just a matter of convenience or is there something else going on when you string multiple shots together?
Pete

I take a cleaning patch and lick one side swab all the way down back out turn the patch over and repete. I'm shooting a muzzleloader therefore I am not trying to get a high rate of fire, take your time and do it the same for each shot..............watch yer top knot.......

I agree with Buford and do what the master, Dutch Shultz recommends. Swab with a spit patch after each shot.

Back