• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stay In Your Lane!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm? That make no sense to me. Open for what? I guess I'd have to see the routine to appreciate the reason.

In one of my disciplines, service rifle, you need a spotting scope at the firing position to track your shots. Shoot lean left, look, adjust, shoot, that is how it goes. Some modern ranges have electronic targets so you watch on a tablet, which is much better. IF you are shooting for "keeps" you have to know where your shot just landed.

For 50 yard ML's I use binoculars from the loading bench. A scope behind the bench would be useless there too. Other shooters would block your view.

Hmm? That make no sense to me. Open for what? I guess I'd have to see the routine to appreciate the reason.

In one of my disciplines, service rifle, you need a spotting scope at the firing position to track your shots. Shoot lean left, look, adjust, shoot, that is how it goes. Some modern ranges have electronic targets so you watch on a tablet, which is much better. IF you are shooting for "keeps" you have to know where your shot just landed.

For 50 yard ML's I use binoculars from the loading bench. A scope behind the bench would be useless there too. Other shooters would block your view.
Walk to the firing line and knock over your fellow shooters $500 scope? That would be a fun exchange of pleasantries. Stays out of the way and does not intrude on other shooters space as you would have to walk around it, move it each shot or put it on someone elses lane.

If each shooter stays in their lane, bench to firing line to targets should have minimal blackage.

I didn't but should have
If you didn’t say anything to any official why are you complaining about it on this forum? A range officer can’t be everywhere and see everything. I was a range officer at this shoot. I even helped the kid who kept getting his patches stuck. Had I been informed of this cross posting of targets I would have seen to it the matter was corrected.

If each shooter stays in their lane, bench to firing line to targets should have minimal blackage.
That is my vision of how it works. Your scope, your firing position.

Walk to the firing line and knock over your fellow shooters $500 scope? That would be a fun exchange of pleasantries.

Not a problem. I once broke a friends spotting scope. Dropped it. I bought him a newer and better one. I did not hesitate. I apologized and told him he'd have it ASAP. I also made him a better mount for his stand. He had the new scope and mechanism before the next weekend.

Isn't that how a gentleman is supposed to behave?

IF a club has guys breaking stuff and arguing about it, their membership should be reconsidered.

Sorry but after reporting to the RSO and nothing changes I would leave the range forever sending a written letter to the organizer why.
Please reread the op comments. He never reported it to the RSO. Your comment implies the RSO did nothing when in fact they were not aware of the issue. And from one of the RSO's present, they were busy handling other firearm issues. The folks at this club are good folks and will do anything to ensure a safe, organized, pleasant shoot. I have been to this club. I know.

Look at jimbob's comment like two posts above yours. He was there.

Please reread the op comments. He never reported it to the RSO. Your comment implies the RSO did nothing when in fact they were not aware of the issue. And from one of the RSO's present, they were busy handling other firearm issues. The folks at this club are good folks and will do anything to ensure a safe, organized, pleasant shoot. I have been to this club. I know.

Look at jimbob's comment like two posts above yours. He was there.
I responded to the OP so stay the frick off me ah

At the Georgia State Shoot this weekend, the shooters at the table to the right of us, were posting targets to the left of us. Instead of posting targets straight out from their shooting table, they were posting targets to the left of us, and coming into our lane to shoot them! So my son and I would have to wait until they were out of the way so we could shoot. The area straight in front of their station was wide open. I just don't get it, I would never do such a thing. Some people are rude and just don't care I reckon.

They were also posting targets at 25 and 50 way over to the left of their wide open shooting lane.
You should have set them straight. If someone is being rude to me, I point it out to them. I figure if they don't know any better, or they are just rude and/or obnoxious they deserve what I or someone else will dish out.

You should have set them straight. If someone is being rude to me, I point it out to them. I figure if they don't know any better, or they are just rude and/or obnoxious they deserve what I or someone else will dish out.
Do not disagree, many folks drop out of competing because of these exact issues. Get em 0ff their game so to speak to win at all costs. To old anymore for the headaches.

At the Georgia State Shoot this weekend, the shooters at the table to the right of us, were posting targets to the left of us. Instead of posting targets straight out from their shooting table, they were posting targets to the left of us, and coming into our lane to shoot them! So my son and I would have to wait until they were out of the way so we could shoot. The area straight in front of their station was wide open. I just don't get it, I would never do such a thing. Some people are rude and just don't care I reckon.

They were also posting targets at 25 and 50 way over to the left of their wide open shooting lane.
You should have said something to Sammy Bledsoe and the RSO and the AH’s doing this! It should have been addressed during and at the end of the relay.

I am not sure how the Georgia State Shoot is run, but most organized shoots I have attended have clearly identified targets (usually large numbers above or below the target) with matching shooting positions. And before the range goes hot, shooters are asked to call out their target number.

Sounds like you attended a poorly organized match, at least in my opinion. Or maybe I expect too much.
Horse poop! Relays take long enough without another time wasting process. I’ve shot at many ranges, some with numbered lanes, but have never had to announce my lane. Common sense and consideration for other shooters should prevail.

The ruling was 11 holes you lose your highest scoring shot. All mine were shot with a 54 it looked like a 45 cal hole obviously a different size hole but they didn't care. Likely a set up to keep me from winning but I can't prove it. But it felt shady to me. Then again the guy to my left shot maybe 15 times on a 10 shot target and said " Well i missed the other times, I got 10 scoreable shots" hmm here i thought 10 shots was 10 shots hit or miss.

I would bring up your concerns to the match sponsor / rule making committee before the next match. Odds are about 100% they want to have a fair match. If they say they don't want to enmesh themselves in furnishing and administering backer boards, (odds are pretty good they're not familiar with them and their use) you might ask if you could supply your own for your own purposes. The off-caliber hole thing is another obvious thing to bring up.

In most 10-bull (smallbore mostly) competitions I've been in it's supposed to be 1 shot per bull, but some times people get mixed up, and put 2 shots in 1 bull, and skip another bull entirely. They still shoot 10 shots though. The sponsor may or may not allow all 10 record shots as scoring shots in those cases, depending on the rules. Most of the time they allow them all to count though. If there are 11 shots though (and we aren't using backer boards to identify crossfires), the highest scoring one IS disqualified.

In all the matches I've shot in, the shooter gets an unlimited number of sighters, but once they start shooting for the record, ALL shots after that are record shots. A 10-shot match is ten shots...period (after sighters). The only exceptions (in some matches) to that are true misfires, like a dud round or hang fire (rarely).

With iron-sighted matches cross fires rarely if ever happen, but in scoped matches it's remarkably easy. I happen to use an 18x scope at 50' in smallbore matches (when allowed) and it's remarkably easy to line up on the wrong target. For that reason I usually put some kind of identifying mark on my target (like my name) just to make sure I'm lining up on my own target (and for others to see so they don't make the same mistake).

Last edited:
Horse poop! Relays take long enough without another time wasting process. I’ve shot at many ranges, some with numbered lanes, but have never had to announce my lane. Common sense and consideration for other shooters should prevail.
Big difference between shooting at a range and participating in an organized shoot with a certain number of shots required in certain amount of time from a specific shooting position. The OP was about the Georgia State Shoot, not some folks shooting at a range. Much effort goes into running formal shoots by both organizers and participants, and those that want their own common sense set of rules to prevail will likely be asked to leave.
At the Georgia State Shoot this weekend

Latest posts

Back