• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stay In Your Lane!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the Georgia State Shoot this weekend, the shooters at the table to the right of us, were posting targets to the left of us. Instead of posting targets straight out from their shooting table, they were posting targets to the left of us, and coming into our lane to shoot them! So my son and I would have to wait until they were out of the way so we could shoot. The area straight in front of their station was wide open. I just don't get it, I would never do such a thing. Some people are rude and just don't care I reckon.

They were also posting targets at 25 and 50 way over to the left of their wide open shooting lane.
sounds like you said nothing to them so ?

At the Georgia State Shoot this weekend, the shooters at the table to the right of us, were posting targets to the left of us. Instead of posting targets straight out from their shooting table, they were posting targets to the left of us, and coming into our lane to shoot them! So my son and I would have to wait until they were out of the way so we could shoot. The area straight in front of their station was wide open. I just don't get it, I would never do such a thing. Some people are rude and just don't care I reckon.

They were also posting targets at 25 and 50 way over to the left of their wide open shooting lane.
what kind of shoot was this? muzzle loaders ,modern guns? I live in Ga. would be nice to know of these things

I was at my gun club range a few years ago and had some targets on the 50 yard stand and some guy shows up I had never seen before get out his revolver and shoots my target like it belongs to him .I just unloaded my mouth on his a-- Bet he want do that to me again
Absolutely incredible; hard to believe the jackasses that consider themselves 'shooters'.

Wait until you shoot the target of your life and go to pull it and find a smaller ball hole in the paper (That scores a zero) and now you have 11 holes in a 10 shot target and have to eat a zero as they took a 10 point shot away from me. Now imagine it cost you the top prize which was a very nice Tn Mt Kit gun. Thats the reality of my life. Thats why I keep my targets away from the others as much as possible now. If I can be on far left or right of range I will now.

Had situation similar. I had my target posted in my lane. The fellow to my left posted his target at 100 yards in my lane. He fussed when his target stand was struck. I said I am sorry his stand got struck. I had to instruct him about the markers over each lane that shows where a target should be posted. He then sheepishly just said OH, that's ok.

muffin liner.png

Wait until you shoot the target of your life and go to pull it and find a smaller ball hole in the paper (That scores a zero) and now you have 11 holes in a 10 shot target and have to eat a zero as they took a 10 point shot away from me. Now imagine it cost you the top prize which was a very nice Tn Mt Kit gun. Thats the reality of my life. Thats why I keep my targets away from the others as much as possible now. If I can be on far left or right of range I will now.

At many higher level matches the use of "backer boards" can insulate you from crossfire holes .

For those that don't know what "backer boards" are, they are a board or piece of paper some distance behind from the intended target. Bullets coming from the intended station all line up perfectly with both the target, and the backer. Those coming from a crossfire will be slightly offset, and can be identified as an errant or crossfire shot.

To give you a better idea, this is a picture from my shooting table. The shooters at the table to the right of me, were the ones doing it. They were posting targets at the 100yd left of my 6 bull at the 25yd.

View attachment 255529
That stand/table is three times bigger than we have a Elk Neck Forest Shooting Range. What a dream setup.

At many higher level matches the use of "backer boards" can insulate you from crossfire holes .

For those that don't know what "backer boards" are, they are a board or piece of paper some distance behind from the intended target. Bullets coming from the intended station all line up perfectly with both the target, and the backer. Those coming from a crossfire will be slightly offset, and can be identified as an errant or crossfire shot.
The ruling was 11 holes you lose your highest scoring shot. All mine were shot with a 54 it looked like a 45 cal hole obviously a different size hole but they didn't care. Likely a set up to keep me from winning but I can't prove it. But it felt shady to me. Then again the guy to my left shot maybe 15 times on a 10 shot target and said " Well i missed the other times, I got 10 scoreable shots" hmm here i thought 10 shots was 10 shots hit or miss.

I once was set up shooting at the only 50 yard target stand and another shooter came in and was going to cover my clean target with his own. They are 4foot square boards. I Did speak up and he moved it over.

The ruling was 11 holes you lose your highest scoring shot. All mine were shot with a 54 it looked like a 45 cal hole obviously a different size hole but they didn't care. Likely a set up to keep me from winning but I can't prove it. But it felt shady to me. Then again the guy to my left shot maybe 15 times on a 10 shot target and said " Well i missed the other times, I got 10 scoreable shots" hmm here i thought 10 shots was 10 shots hit or miss.
I wouldn’t be shooting at that competition ever again. Definitely something shady going on. I wonder how many of his extra shots wound up on others targets.

Back many years ago I was the RSO for a very large club. Occasionally there would be a problem with too many hits. Different calibers are easy to determine if the holes are of different caliber. When using a good backer even if visual observation can't determine for certain your finger can. Try it sometime and the
difference is rather amazing. All you have to do is press lightly on the hole with the pad of your finger or thumb and compare with the other holes.
If the same caliber, no such luck, highest shot is thrown out.
If the person adjacent to the TMS score card is missing a shot the lowest score on the TMS is given to the shooter with the missing shot with a minus one from that lowest score. in other words a six becomes a five.
When I was a state Field Representative for the NMLRA I would go to many different clubs to shoot in their matches. I always carried with me a very large
feather painted bright red. I would staple the feather over my target so I would not shoot into the wrong target. Hopefully, no one would shoot on mine.
Barry

During this shoot, the guy shooting next to us informed me the kid with him shot my 100yd buffalo. They had that kid wiping after every fifth shot, over and over and getting patches stuck in the bore. RSO's had to repeatedly help him get the rod out of the bore. When the kid would get the ball seated, he would pound the ball over five times with the range rod. This banging was so annoying! I felt bad for the kid, as must have learned this madness from them.

This whole thing was such a distraction, and I probably would have shot better

I had a couple of cross fires on my target last weekend. The guys next to me were quite inexperienced and disorganized. New people are good, no complaints. I will try to squad with them next time and get them straightened out.

However, they did cross fire on me twice. Thankfully, we use an electronic scoring system. My spotter watched the crossfires real time and ignored the shots. I had a good scorer/spotter, I ended up 480 10X. Taking 10 or 20 off my score would have been a big deal to me.

Sometimes I get ultra focused on shooting and can not recall my target number. I always write the target number on my right hand for reference. The big old number board is a clue also.

Latest posts

Back