• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel hunting in ohio

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSS

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i really dont know what to do i really enjoy huntinig tree rats with my flintlock but the last few years i have been catching **** fron local dnr officers caus the rule books dont say anything about muzzle loads except for deer hunting so some say thaqt its ok and some say its not how do you get an answer when the guys that write the rule forget to mention stuff like that
and yes i did call the district office and got no were with that except we will have to check and get back to you ... still waiting 10 calls later still no answer

Time to go above the District level and ask someone at DNR in Columbus. And you should check around your buddies to see who "knows someone" in Columbus. Get the answer in writing, photocopy it, and put those copies in your wallet, your truck, your safe deposit box, under the doormat, etc, etc. Or tattoo it onto your arm.
Give that a try. If it doesn't work, contact me and maybe I can put my imagination to work.

If the rule book doesn't mention ML, they they are legal....

Here in NC, the rule book does not spell out any minimum caliber for deer....So technically you could hunt them with a .22 rimfire...

We have enough Government, I'd just keep hunting...
Giving you "Down in the Country" is a long ways from giving you a ticket... :grin:

JSS
I hunt squirrels with my flintlock tradegun in the public hunting areas of Big Darby Metropolitan Park, which is just Southwest of Columbus. I've never had a problem. The local Game Protector has even stopped by to talk, while I'm in the the parking area, and doing my initial swabing out of the barrel. He thought it was pretty cool that someone would go after squirrels with a flintlock smoothbore.
The now retired Game Protector in Pike county used to come out to my dads place to hunt, and I've hunted with him several times with a flintlock. So I think it is alright, but do take the advise and get an OK from the DNR office in Columbus.
You DO NOT want to run afoul of these guys. They can make your life miserable including confiscating your gun.
I'll try and make some calls, since I'm local and get a clarification, and I'll get back to you.

Regards, Dave

Not sure why you are getting the 3rd degree... I just looked specifically for that exculsion and couldn't find anything. I showed my .375 flinter to a District 2 GP and she (yep, she) thought it was neat.
Strange that we can hunt groundhogs, wild hogs,coyote with anything that we are man enough to touch off, but have centerfire exclusions on deer.
R

my brother and some friends were in the mountains[PENNA]hunting racoons at night with dogs,,,got one treed noticed lights on in a cabin nearby,,,figgered shoot it anyway no one will bother us....WELL....a game warden lived in that cabin...every one was written up & fined... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

JSS
I have just sent and email to the main office and asked the question "Can game, other than deer, be legally taken with muzzle loading rifles and shotguns."
I'll let you know when they reply.

Regards, Dave

JSS
Here is the reply I received today from the ODNR main office.

Lemaster,
A muzzleloader is legal to use for game other than deer. The
regulations on projectile type, shot size, and shot type still do still
apply.

The situation that you may have run into is on a wildlife area. From
Oct 15-Jan 1 it is unlawful to hunt with a rifle, pistol, or revolver on
any division of wildlife lands, except when squirrel hunting with a
rimfire firearm or during the youth, gun, and muzzleloader deer seasons.

If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to respond.

Wildinfo-law

Regards, Dave

thanks for all the help...so they are saying that its open season untill oct 15 then we have to hang up the small bores and go modern at least on public grounds :bow: thats cool cause i have just finished a 22 flinter and am real courious to see how it performs

JSS
Sorry for the delay in replying, been extra busy.
Yes, rifles need to be put away and bring out the smoothbores. LOL

Regards, Dave

How about talking to your own lawyer? Who do you think is going to fight for you if you do get a ticket?

Seriously, Only a lawyer carried malpractice insurance to cover him when he is sued for giving his client the wrong advice! DON'T get your legal advice from cops and bureaucrats! All they may know is what is written in a book. They don't know case law, they don't understand rules of construction, and they don't understand the Constitutional burden of proof.

You have received the correct answer here already. Laws are written to give NOTICE to the public of what is a PROHIBITED ACT! If it is not prohibited, it is legal for you to do. without that NOTICE in writing, you cannot be prosecuted for a mythical offense.

I went around with the Illinois DNR staff on a similar issue about 20 years ago, and even I could not get their in-house counsel to call me back! I did find out that they had some NAZI teaching at the State Police Academy telling officers that if its not written as being permitted, it was FORBIDDEN! When an officers shared that gem with me, I asked him where in the Constitution did it say that? I got the thousand mile stare.

Look, I don't like to disparage members of Law Enforcement. They do a good job for all of us, in the main. But, they are not lawyers. I have consulted with officers, and advised them privately about the interpretation of new regulations for more than 30 years. They complain that when they have a legal question, and take it up the command structure in their department, as per their own rules, they never get an answer. The Department's lawyers, ( mostly city attorneys, but also County Prosecutors, or State Attorneys General, as appropriate) never meet with the lawyers, never are available to ask questions to, and generally just don't exist until you meet them in court. I have taken many officers out for coffee after their cases were dismissed against my client to answer their questions, and tell them what they did wrong. I got that advice to do this kind of thing from a senior member of the bar when I first started out, and he was respected by all the officers, even more so when he beat them in court. I have had officers attend my hunter safety courses with their own kids, and were thrilled to learn what the game code really means from someone who is actually suppose to know( me!). I made many good friends with deputies and officers from those contacts. And I have gotten referrals to other officers who have called me with questions. They are always surprised that I don't want money from them for helping them do their jobs better. And, yes, I have had talks with prosecutors and city attorneys about doing a better job of advising their officers, without much effect.

Latest posts

Back