• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my early squirrel season with a very unique hunt…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed congrats on the mess of Bushy tails. I did not even get one of my ML's sighted in yet. Maybe when i get back to Mo. in Aug. i can catch a break on all of this never ending work.
Thanks Mike. I spent quite a bit of time in the woods this spring chasing bushy tail gray squirrels. I flat out love it. I traded most of my flathead fishing this year for being up in the mountains squirrel hunting with my .32 Crockett Squirrel rifle. I have no regrets. It was tough trying to keep up with all my work around here and still be able to get out squirrel hunting and what little flathead fishing I was able to do.

I hope you can make it back to MO and get settled in my friend.

Last edited:
You made ne remember a day looking for a squirrel or two when two of them little buggers came running all over the place chasing each other.well long story short that's the first time I ever saw squirrels mating. Funny as all get out. Run run run chase then stop and go at it then repeat. What a funny sight.

You made ne remember a day looking for a squirrel or two when two of them little buggers came running all over the place chasing each other.well long story short that's the first time I ever saw squirrels mating. Funny as all get out. Run run run chase then stop and go at it then repeat. What a funny sight.
Huh, never seen them do that before. Interesting. I really enjoy learning the habits of critters.

There's a den tree very close out my back window. Every year in Feb I see them hanging on the side of the tree with one mounted on its back. Always a warmer, sunny day. They stay attached like that for quite a while. I can only assume that's what they are doing.

Tipp that was a cool story. I'm just wondering though with the squirrel breeding season maybe that took-took sound you heard was their nuts hitting the branches when they were running through the trees....LOL

Tipp that was a cool story. I'm just wondering though with the squirrel breeding season maybe that took-took sound you heard was their nuts hitting the branches when they were running through the trees....LOL
Thanks. All I know for sure is I have never seen anything like that in my life. And this ole boy has been in the woods/mountains most of his days ever since I was old enough to get out on my own.

I will never forget that sound and I feel blessed to have experienced it.

Took my Crockett Squirrel Rifle out this morning for the last time until fall season opens. Early season closes tomorrow so I wanted to get out there one more time for now.

Was in the woods up on the side of a mountain before daylight. Located a den tree I found last year so I sat and waited. Sure enough, two squirrels popped out of the tree but way up high. They were on the go right off the bat up in the tops of the nearby trees. As I stood there waiting for them to stop, I was amazed that they just kept going tree to tree and down the mountain. I thought to myself “huh, wonder where they’re going”? I watched until they went out of sight while hoping more squirrels would pop out of the den tree. No more came out.

As I stood there and as it was getting lighter in the woods, I kept hearing this strange sound coming from down the mountain. So I slowly and quietly eased down slope towards the sound. Finally, I noticed some movement in the tops of a couple trees further down the mountain. And there was that strange sound again. This was something I have never heard before in the woods. And it was coming from different trees. Twice I heard the usual sounds coming from squirrels when they chase each other but that was it, no more. Just that strange “thook” sound. Took me maybe 30 minutes to ease my way down there so I could see what was going on and without getting busted. About the time I had arrived, I saw at least 5-6 squirrels that decided to migrate to other trees as they were running everywhere while making this crazy “thook- thook sound. So the slow chase was on trying to keep up with them without being seen or heard. This went on for at least another 30-45 minutes. Squirrels running up and down trees “took-took”, jumping from limb to limb as I tried to maneuver my way into a shot position. But I needed a tree to get a rest off of.

After waiting for what seemed like forever, finally one squirrel presented me with a shot. Got that one. I stood still for a minute or so observing and some of the other squirrels went right back to running everywhere doing their “took- took” sound. So I slowly reloaded and kept trying to stick with that bunch of squirrels as quietly and slowly as possible. After about a a couple hours of this I wound up with four bushy tail gray squirrels.

I carry my squirrels on a piece of para chord tied to a stick. As I was tying each one on after easing over and picking them up, I noticed all of them were boars.

Then it hit me. This is just a guess here. But I’m guessing that the “took-took” sound , that I have never in all my years heard squirrels make before, was some sort of pre rut type of territorial thing. With early season closing tomorrow, that signifies breeding season has arrived again. One thing is for certain, I have never heard that sound before. Albeit I’ve never hunted the early season before. Definitely was not the usual fighting/mating sound.

At any rate, I learned something this morning. And I can promise you that I will never forget that “took-took” sound. I have never seen that many squirrels in such close contact behaving like that nor making that sound. And if I ever do hear that again while I’m squirrel hunting, it’s game on. View attachment 228540

Hey that’s what I’m wanting to start I shot four last week myself but with my 22. Lr outta my Thompson center classic .an I was thinking I got an original 32. Percussion that my dad got in mountains of Georgia when he was a kid back in forties and I ain’t never shot but it’s in shootabl shape so I’m gonna check it out soon

ETipp
What sights are you running on that “Crockett”?
I’m having a little trouble with stock ones lately….
Using a Tom A. Hawks peep sight and some kind of taller fiber optic front bead. It made all the difference in the world.

Tom A. Hawks is a member on here.

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1148.jpeg