• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brant Selb Squirrel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1unadog

32 Cal
Reaction score
I received my Selb Squirrel Rifle a couple weeks ago. Overall quality out of the box a 2 out of 10. I give it a 2 only because it is a rifle. Looks like this was built by an eighth grader in woodshop class, which is an insult to eighth graders, because they could probably do better work. Three-year wait (one year over the estimate), 2800.00$. So many problems with this rifle it's simply unbelievable. I am rebuilding the rifle completely myself. He did offer to address my complaints, but I am unwilling to wait another three years, only to have the rifle returned likely in no better condition than I had received it. Poor, shoddy workmanship, absolute laziness, no excuse for someone to deliver a custom rifle of such low quality. I have 20+ off-the-shelf (350-1000$ ave costs) factory rifles from many different mfgs that are of higher quality. My Chinese rifles are of higher quality.
Nose cap poorly done, not even finished. Still has a ding in it in from who knows what. Not even symmetrical, shape doesn't even match on both sides, unpolished.
Lock plate not flush with stock, as he simply didn't remove enough wood to clear the internal bolt heads. Threads sticking out to catch on things.
Butt plate metal to wood gaps.
Unfinish sanding on stock. Stock so darkly stained it masks whatever figure might be there in the semi-fancy wood I had paid extra for.
Ram Rod simply slides out of the rifle if you tip rifle down.
Dents and dings in the stock that could have been easily sanded out.
On and on.
Don't ty to tell me this is a Craftsman's Hand Made rifle. Sharps are Hand Made, and they are generally perfect. Hand Made is no excuse for Poorly Made. My best guess is that after three years of asking when it might be done, he finally just slapped something together to get it out the door. I am discovering my experience with this builder is not unique. When I asked for a refund, he told me he was not my personal ATM (!) You might say it's not so bad from the few pictures here, but I have many detailed pictures I can post. Buyer beware! He is probably retiring- God help you if you have one of his rifles on order.

Attachments

• nose cap bottom.jpg
    nose cap bottom.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 5
  • lock plate exposed bolts.jpg
    lock plate exposed bolts.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • nose cap side.jpg
    nose cap side.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • nose cap top.jpeg
    nose cap top.jpeg